• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame on fire

Yeah that’s pretty stupid. I’m not religious in the least and have no love for the Catholic Church but the historical and cultural importance of a place like Notre Dame is hard to overstate.

That building is more than five hundred years older than the United States.

I'm all for people like catamount not visiting cathedrals. Already crowded enough.

Gonna be a unpopular opinion but, as long as nobody died or was seriously injured I have no problem with anything related to the catholic church getting burnt to the ground.

Your takes these days are close to 100% terrible. What gives?

Also a monument to the biggest sex trafficking and child molestation ring on the planet. I don’t hate to see it.

Being that construction started in the 12th Century it has been a lot of things. When it was first being built those included things like gargoyles and men of science and philosophy and other gothic, non-Christian, medieval iconography. During the French Revolution it was dedicated to the Cult of Reason. After Paris was liberated it was the site of celebration for freedom from German occupation. It’s one of the best examples of lasting gothic architecture in the world. You’re being stupid.

Being that construction started in the 12th Century it has been a lot of things. When it was first being built those included things like gargoyles and men of science and philosophy and other gothic, non-Christian, medieval iconography. During the French Revolution it was dedicated to the Cult of Reason. After Paris was liberated it was the site of celebration for freedom from German occupation. It’s one of the best examples of lasting gothic architecture in the world. You’re being stupid.

Also the coronations of Charles VI of France and Napoleon were both held there.

It's all dependent on the water supply and pressure. Some are designed to fully extinguish, but you are correct that most just have the capacity to keep the fire in check to make it a survivable space until fire and rescue can get there to extinguish or rescue.

Most older structures are protected by historic preservation trusts that limit the amount of new or retrofitting work that can be done. They view it as destroying the aesthetics and charm of the older structures by having exposed piping, and I can't blame them.

Most church or cathedral fires are a surround, drown, and contain situation. There are too many flammable materials per square foot inside those buildings, coupled with a lot of exposed wooden beam construction, make it a death trap for firefighters.

Wouldnt the only surefire way to extinguish be to remove all the oxygen from the room?

While I have zero tolerance for what the RC Church has evolved into, watching this Cathedral burn is sad.

Wouldnt the only surefire way to extinguish be to remove all the oxygen from the room?
Fire is very basic in that you only need three things for it to exist. A combustible material, oxygen source, and heat (ignition). Remove any of those elements and the fire goes out. Extinguishers displace the oxygen to put out the fire, whereas water typically cools the fire down to the below the ignition temperature, thus putting out the fire. With copious amounts of water you can smother the fire and remove the oxygen, but it's more efficient to use the water to cool the source of the fire.

A fire that large and hot will actually convert to steam a portion of the water you're trying to put on the fire before it ever reaches the fire, reducing the effectiveness.

Last edited:
Got to give credit to the Paris firefighters, they are truly some of the best in the world. The Paris Fire Brigade is part of the French Army's engineering branch, l'arme du génie, and is the 3rd largest in the world.

A few updates:
  • 2 police officers and 1 firefighter were slightly injured
  • The roof is gone, but the stone arch under the roof is mostly still there.
  • Only 1 of the stained glass rose windows has fallen out
  • The 16 statues around the spire were removed 4 days ago, but the spire is destroyed
  • The main relics and works of art were all saved
  • The structure is more than likely going to be considered unstable for a while, the roof helped support the walls, and with the roof gone there is a chance of a wall(s) collapsing.

Last edited:
Back