• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame on fire

clearly the southern border wall should be french gothic architecture

Over a billion dollars pledged to rebuild it, as if the Catholic Church and insurance companies were going to be unable to cover it.

TSY, are you a firefighter? Your expertise has been enlightening.

*Just read that there was no insurance on the cathedral, as it was state owned. Though the contractors would have insurance and be bonded.

Yes.

Here's a video of the roof taken by one of the firefighters.

And they utilized a firefighting robot during operation.

377b65ey1ps21.jpg

I originally thought part of the stone roof collapsed, but based upon the video, it looks like the open area is where the spire once stood allowing access to it. The stone roof really did a wonderful job of protecting the inside of the cathedral from more extensive damage. It appears that most of the fire that made it into the cathedral itself fell through the spire opening.

judging from my Facebook feed, I am apparently the only person on Earth that hasn't been there yet

judging from my Facebook feed, I am apparently the only person on Earth that hasn't been there yet

Yeah. Lots of very humble bragging on my feed too.

Saw Disney CEO Bob Iger pledged a huge donation. Weird to see wealthy Americans donate money to restore a building owned by a foreign government.

I can't think of something I'd want to visit less than some old-ass church. So many better things to do when visiting European cities.

A thank-you for the revival of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Yeah I’m sure he’ll more than make it back when they do an emotional live action version of it.

They have them, but chose not to deploy them for fears it would cause a structural collapse.

I was trying to say they should have a low flow option that alleviates concerns about structural damage. Like a big ass watering can deployed from above.

I was trying to say they should have a low flow option that alleviates concerns about structural damage. Like a big ass watering can deployed from above.
A significant amount of the water would evaporate before it gets to the fire due to the intense heat. The effectiveness of the tanker drops is due to a large volume of water in a relatively small area. Think of trying to put a campfire out with a garden hose using the widest angle spray. Sure it'll eventually go out, but it takes a long time to cool the fire down and put it out due to evaporation. If you switch it to a high flow straight stream and hit the seat of the fire, you can extinguish it within seconds.

A significant amount of the water would evaporate before it gets to the fire due to the intense heat. The effectiveness of the tanker drops is due to a large volume of water in a relatively small area. Think of trying to put a campfire out with a garden hose using the widest angle spray. Sure it'll eventually go out, but it takes a long time to cool the fire down and put it out due to evaporation. If you switch it to a high flow straight stream and hit the seat of the fire, you can extinguish it within seconds.

Can you please tie this back to the analogy of a bag of sand and a 100-pound rock ?

Back