• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread: RJKarl Given 1 Point by LK, Later Rescinded !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just all direct our collective vibes into making this happen for me. Don't lose focus with your selfish thoughts. It's for the greater good. Like high speed train travel.

Last I was meeting a couple of friends in downtown Winston-Salem to watch the Hurricanes game and have some drinks. Realizing that I would likely leave my car downtown and take a cab home, I became proactive and took the bus.

Then a curious "only in North Carolina" thing started happening. Each time someone got of the bus, they paused and chimed,"thank you" to the bus driver. Who replied, "thanks for riding have a good night."

That was a nice puzzle.

I wasn't thinking as the three of us enveloped the couple next to us during the game. With a minor amount of bar food (and certainly no bottle service at this place) we had a bill of around $500 BEFORE the tip.

I "walked" down to the MILLENNIUM Center and got a bus. To my surprise same thing happened on the way home that went on during the other ride. Everyone thanked the driver and she wished everyone a good night.

I've ridden public transportation all over the world. This is the FIRST time I saw anything like this.

^ This would be my dream. I freaking love trains, and hate traffic.

One of my biggest regrets in life will be not living in a city with solid public transit.

If you want to look at a test case of why this hasn't happened, read up on Sunrail in Florida, especially what it originally was supposed to be and what they ended up getting. What was a good idea, has become such a boondoggle it has in fact killed other projects. Also, Europe has such a better attitude toward P3's than the US does, which allows for more private investment in the rail system. The other big problem is that when Americans think infrastructure, they only tend to think highways, and thats what people want from their congress, better roads, which is why Congress prefers to give money to road rather than rail.

I wrote a paper on this topic in law school and currently work in this industry. Billions of dollars in rail investment would make very happy.

A lot of people talk about bus rapid transit in the Triangle but I’m not sure how effective that is unless we truly create separate dedicated infrastructure for that traffic. Right now buses drive on the shoulder for certain routes from Durham to Raleigh but that’s not realistic or scalable as a long term solution.

The light rail was a huge point of contention in Durham but I’m not sure it was clearly a good investment or transformational project for transportation in the region. The biggest issue is that it would have taken 10 years to finish and didn’t connect to RDU or Raleigh in any way. Obviously nobody has any idea what transportation will look like by then with the possibility of things like autonomous cars looming in the near term. So potentially you have a $3B project that is obsolete and unused by the time it actually gets finished. Also I can’t imagine there is huge demand to travel solely between Durham and Chapel Hill though I do see the wisdom in having a foundation that could eventually be the starting point for a more comprehensive light rail system in the Triangle.

One thousand percent onboard with high speed rail connecting the east coast though as others have said the likelihood that it actually happens is basically zero.

How much strategy do you think goes into panhandling at traffic lights? I'd think it's mostly about location, but if you have similar high traffic spots, would a light that takes longer to turn be preferable against one that is shorter? The shorter cycle would turn more cars, but would there be a benefit to longer cycles so you can stare longer at drivers to really capitalize on the awkwardness of the situation and maybe wear them down?

A lot of people talk about bus rapid transit in the Triangle but I’m not sure how effective that is unless we truly create separate dedicated infrastructure for that traffic. Right now buses drive on the shoulder for certain routes from Durham to Raleigh but that’s not realistic or scalable as a long term solution.

you pretty much have to force people into using transit

take a full highway lane out to RTP only for buses then run tons of them

I am reminded of Campbell Scott's character in Singles all of a sudden. Steve Dunne.

Last edited:
you pretty much have to force people into using transit

take a full highway lane out to RTP only for buses then run tons of them

When I grew up in Philly, they always walked about the Blue Route which would be an expressway around the city. After about forty years of talking it finally got done.

Here in SoCal they have talking about a Vegas train since the 80s and it's still not built.

I bet things like this in infrastructure and public transportation happen lots of places.

Woah this Isabel Opera chick is waaaaay hot

I did read an interview with her where she came across as kind of basic, but it might have been the publication's target and leading questions or something. I'm willing to have some one on one time with her to delve deeper.

I'm with Biff. I ain't riding no bus. Unless it's a really cool bus, with its own lane, that goes really fast, is comfortable, and (preferably) has a snack/bar area.

speaking of transportation, Uber rolls out a new feature that lets you tell drivers in advance not to talk to you

remember when ESPN2 just showed paintball and the world's strongest man and other outsider sports?

Great Outdoor Games were awesome. The event where they chopped the log, put the planks to stand on in their chopping holes, and then had to chop off the very top of the log was crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back