• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

Interesting course discussion but back to Currie....

Besides the white bucks and blazers crowd, has this guy held any meet and greets on campus with the students?

From afar, it seems he's been keeping a low profile. Besides the obvious, any guesses on his list of 'to do' items post 5/1?

Currie is pretty active on Twitter, which should give you an idea what he has been up to the last several weeks.

Small town country clubs aren’t nearly as expensive and exclusive as the ones in large cities. And I would rather play Cedar Brook CC in Elkin and Cross Creek CC in Mt Airy than Old Town, Forsyth, Cape Fear CC, and many other over priced clubs. Hell, you can be an out of town member at the Surf CC in North Myrtle for $2500 plus $250 per month. The Surf puts Cape Fear to shame.

To put it into perspective, what are the rates at Forsyth and Old Town these days?

If Thanos's snap obliterated every single person with a country club membership, the world would be a much better place.

Johnny-Depp-Cry-Baby.jpg

Fully expect Curry to be as bland and boring as Wellman so that he can ride out the next 20+ years at Wake Forest. Don’t expect him to rock the boat or shake things up. Currie is going to fall in line and collect a paycheck.

Fully expect Curry to be as bland and boring as Wellman so that he can ride out the next 20+ years at Wake Forest. Don’t expect him to rock the boat or shake things up. Currie is going to fall in line and collect a paycheck.

I disagree with this and hope that you're wrong. I only know one person that actually has legitimate and intimate dealings with Wake at its highest levels, but trust this person when they say that Currie was a critical hire for us. The person I deal with often was involved in that decision and believes he will shake things up over time and get us back on track. This person is pushing for a DM exit and so is everybody else at that level. The buyout is real, but was renegotiated and DM is gone if we don't have a huge and surprising year in MBB.

Currie won't be carrying Wellman's water. What was he supposed to say at the press conference other than what he did? And the 5/1 start date was also very strategic for many reasons (some of which are obvious).

I asked if Currie would fire DM as his first official act, and my contact said 'I don't know.' It won't happen at this point, IMHO, but if we lose to a team like Gardner-Webb, Houston Baptist, etc...he gone.

I disagree with this and hope that you're wrong. I only know one person that actually has legitimate and intimate dealings with Wake at its highest levels, but trust this person when they say that Currie was a critical hire for us. The person I deal with often was involved in that decision and believes he will shake things up over time and get us back on track. This person is pushing for a DM exit and so is everybody else at that level. The buyout is real, but was renegotiated and DM is gone if we don't have a huge and surprising year in MBB.

Currie won't be carrying Wellman's water. What was he supposed to say at the press conference other than what he did? And the 5/1 start date was also very strategic for many reasons (some of which are obvious).

I asked if Currie would fire DM as his first official act, and my contact said 'I don't know.' It won't happen at this point, IMHO, but if we lose to a team like Gardner-Webb, Houston Baptist, etc...he gone.

Why could possibly make Manning renegotiate a buyout that made him unfireable?

There's no fucking chance he walks in and cans Manning after all the glowing things he's said about Ron, and the role Ron surely played in bringing him on board. Come on people

Actually off to the club now to throw down a few cocktails and work out these new irons.

Holy shit if anyone thinks you are getting anything other than Ron 2.0 you are delusional.

Holy shit if anyone thinks you are getting anything other than Ron 2.0 you are delusional.

Some of the thoughts to the contrary have come from people who know Currie personally. I trust their judgement.

John Currie is not yet Wake Director of Athletics. You are delusional if you thought he would do or say much of anything before he formally has the job.

The current Wake Athletics Director is currently the longest serving AD in the country. He has won awards from his peers. He will ride into the sunset with nice words said about him by his successor and the Wake administration.

As time goes on, we will see how John Currie puts his own imprint on Wake Athletics.

Some of the thoughts to the contrary have come from people who know Currie personally. I trust their judgement.

John Currie is not yet Wake Director of Athletics. You are delusional if you thought he would do or say much of anything before he formally has the job.

The current Wake Athletics Director is currently the longest serving AD in the country. He has won awards from his peers. He will ride into the sunset with nice words said about him by his successor and the Wake administration.

As time goes on, we will see how John Currie puts his own imprint on Wake Athletics.

Thanks for the patronizing reply. i know Currie personally too, so my view may have some validity. And you jumped to the conclusion it was a bad thing - John will be a very loyal and strong supporter of Wake and I’m sure he’ll do some great things, but if you are looking for transparency and quick action it’s just not going to happen. He will follow the “wake forest way” to a tee...

Back