• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

hqdefault.jpg

My thought (and concern) as well. There are lots of DC members like me (probably the majority) who will never be "big" donors, but have for 20+ years been lower-level DC members and annual season tickets to football and/or basketball; other than a mass email I've never had any communication with Wellman. Meanwhile, over at NCSU the head of the Wolfpack Club is out in the tailgate lots before a few home games each year stopping by and chatting with "the masses", and a friend of mine upped his membership level a few years back (still only in the 3 digits) and got a nice personal letter from the Wolfpack Club guy thanking him for his contribution, along with a few personal references to my friend's home town with mentions of a former high school coach and a few former NCSU players from there. And some student assistant may have written it for him (probably after the director told him a few personal notes to work in), but the point is that guy "gets it", while at Wake with a relatively small donor and fan base, we eschew the personal approach and go all-out corporate.
I'd be interested to know if anyone of my general donor and fan support level has had a different experience, but that's about it for me . I will give a thumbs-up to Rich Millard in the ticket office; don't know how closely that dept. ties in with the Deacon Club, but he does "get it"; very accommodating to schmoes like me who maybe don't carry the freight buy we do provide a lot of packing tape that helps keep the thing together.

Excellent post. For the most part I'm in the same boat you are.

"Today is a very humbling day and one that my wife, Mary Lawrence, and I are grateful for the confidence that President Hatch and the Board of Trustees has shown us to make this dream come true," said Currie. "Ron Wellman has been my long-time mentor and is responsible for everything I have in my professional life – the most important of which is the ethical foundation that has sustained me over the last 25 years.

That's about the most Wake Forest thing I've ever seen. I don't have any loafers to wear sockless, leaving me a bit perplexed as to what to wear.

2952a1c960cbead4a6d4835d731b42ce.jpg

Polite way of saying no yarmulkes....

That's about the most Wake Forest thing I've ever seen. I don't have any loafers to wear sockless, leaving me a bit perplexed as to what to wear.

2952a1c960cbead4a6d4835d731b42ce.jpg

Do you have a great bow tie to go with your madras pants?

country clubs are great. other than the cost, i don't get all the hate.

Because country clubs are all about capitalism and most folks on this board are bleeding heart liberals who want all the wealth given away, free college and college loans forgiven. They hate it when somebody actually works hard to earn their money and then could get into a nice country club.

Because country clubs are all about capitalism and most folks on this board are bleeding heart liberals who want all the wealth given away, free college and college loans forgiven. They hate it when somebody actually works hard to earn their money and then could get into a nice country club.

That's one heck of a way to talk about safe spaces for rich people.

country clubs are about douchebags hanging out with other douchebags

I had just started thinking I needed to start saving to join a country club. Hit the links. Maybe a little paddle tennis.

For some, sure? But for many its about what that their daddy did. There's way more old money than new money at country clubs these days. And lots and lots of douchebags.

Hyper-critical, cynical and bitterly sarcastic...does that describe all WF fans or just the ones who post on this board?

Geez, some of you folks sound like bitter country-club wannabees... Country clubs are not much different from any other group of people - cool people, douchebags, normal people, weird people,etc. I am not rich by any stretch but I do know a few people who would be considered rich - and some of them are douchebags, but I don't think the percentage of douchebags among them runs any higher than in the general population. I don't think it is an unpopular opinion to say the greatest percentage of douchebags among rich people is in the subgroup that inherited their money...

You contradicted your own point.

Back