• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

So he's going to "transfer" to Myers Park and then graduate there.. Then the family relocate to Winston after he graduates? I suppose that's possible. Just seems convoluted when there are good school options in the Winston area. It's not a huge deal, just struck me as a strange set up.

Without getting into the man's personal life, he isn't transferring to Myers Park. They've been living in Charlotte all year. You don't join the varsity baseball team as a senior at the end of April.

Look at a club like Maple Chase(the old Pinebrook) and you'll find middle class, non-pretentious families where the men just love to play golf.

Then compare that to FCC, Oldtowne and others. Not all CC's are built the same.

Look at a club like Maple Chase(the old Pinebrook) and you'll find middle class, non-pretentious families where the men just love to play golf.

Totally agree...MC is a great club.. Great course. Good people

Totally agree...MC is a great club.. Great course. Good people

Hung out there a few times back in the day when one of our friends was a member.

Without getting into the man's personal life, he isn't transferring to Myers Park. They've been living in Charlotte all year. You don't join the varsity baseball team as a senior at the end of April.

Yes, I can assure everyone he is moving to WS. Good grief

Quote Originally Posted by BiffTannen View Post
Not every club is the same, but for the most part it's just guys who want to play golf separately from the rubes on public courses and their families.

For most I imagine it is about not having the 5+ hour rounds and the ability to play when you want on a nicer course. Not avoiding other people. Douchebags are everywhere.

how do membership prices compare from somewhere like Maple Chase to Old Town or FCC?

I'm sure there are some good CC's out there, but holy shit is there an awful history of racism and anti-semitism in practically all of them and still is in some of them.

Certainly heard the “n word” a bit in the country club setting growing up. Plenty of times from Wake grads.

how do membership prices compare from somewhere like Maple Chase to Old Town or FCC?

Substantially less expensive. I think monthly dues for under 40 are $300. I haven't spoken to their membership director about it in a couple of years but I'm close to pulling the trigger on joining there. Need to dig around a little more

Public course golf is barely worth the time or money in Charlotte but holy hell I can find tons of things better to do with $50-100k than join a stupid country club to play golf.

I'm sure there are some good CC's out there, but holy shit is there an awful history of racism and anti-semitism in practically all of them and still is in some of them.

Certainly heard the “n word” a bit in the country club setting growing up. Plenty of times from Wake grads.

Hell, I grew up as a CC kid as a teen. The issue isn't whether there are good/better CC's. The issue is that the term Country Club Casual throws up unecessary walls for a number of big Wake fans I know. It's even more absurd for an event in downtown of a metropolitan place like Charlotte. Then again, it likely appeals to the same fudds who have been sipping Champagne with Ronny and supporting this dumpster fire the last 10 years.

Public course golf is barely worth the time or money in Charlotte but holy hell I can find tons of things better to do with $50-100k than join a stupid country club to play golf.

Yeah, I am morally opposed to paying a huge sum of money to then pay monthly dues. I don't mind a nominal fee but these places that are 50-100K can forget about it.

I don't belong to one right now but grew up with access to one. Not all country clubs are $50-$100k; outside of big cities there are plenty of clubs where entry feels are $15-$20K especially for under-40 or under 30 crowd because their membership is dying off. if you and/or your spouse play a lot of golf it's way better than the public options. plus you usually get access to a pool and tennis if your'e into that.

people are being more snobby about not going to CCs than the ones who do/have

How much golf do you have to play for $15-20K plus monthly fees to be worth it? That’s $400 a month before fees. I’m guessing golf and dinner once a week at least.

Hell, I grew up as a CC kid as a teen. The issue isn't whether there are good/better CC's. The issue is that the term Country Club Casual throws up unecessary walls for a number of big Wake fans I know. It's even more absurd for an event in downtown of a metropolitan place like Charlotte. Then again, it likely appeals to the same fudds who have been sipping Champagne with Ronny and supporting this dumpster fire the last 10 years.

Is there some political or social connotation associated with the term 'country club casual' of which I am unaware? I googled it and just find descriptions of dress code - it seems to land somewhere between straight 'casual' and 'business casual' ??

Yeah. That’s what we’ve been talking about.

Back