• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

Yeah. That’s what we’ve been talking about.

Is it just a visceral reaction by some people to the term "country club"? I guess I get it but it seems a little strong. There are certainly country clubs out there that are stuffy and stuck-up and have histories of racism, sexism, etc. To some people I guess those places represent the term - even though they make up a small minority of all CCs.

Is it just a visceral reaction by some people to the term "country club"? I guess I get it but it seems a little strong. There are certainly country clubs out there that are stuffy and stuck-up and have histories of racism, sexism, etc. To some people I guess those places represent the term - even though they make up a small minority of all CCs.

So you’re saying the vast majority of country clubs were founded to be open to anyone regardless of race or gender? I seriously doubt that.

The creation of Country Clubs and Country Days (schools) was all about segregation and exclusion.

Its up to you if you're cool with that association, I guess.

How much golf do you have to play for $15-20K plus monthly fees to be worth it? That’s $400 a month before fees. I’m guessing golf and dinner once a week at least.

but you're comparing the experience of public golf and playing at a private course. that's like saying driving a Civic is the same as Benz. now, whether you care about the difference between the experiences is important. plenty of people don't care about what their commute ride is like or whatever. but they are not the same. nor is playing at a public course

How much golf do you have to play for $15-20K plus monthly fees to be worth it? That’s $400 a month before fees. I’m guessing golf and dinner once a week at least.

Well that’s just the one time initiation for that 15-20k but to make your monthly dues worth it I think you’d have to be playing at least a couple times a month and making heavy use of the pool/gym etc facilities.

The clubs in Charlotte pretty much all cost 50-100k for initiation and the public courses cost $60 per round which takes 5 hours stuck behind a fivesome of walkers in jorts with rental clubs.

So you’re saying the vast majority of country clubs were founded to be open to anyone regardless of race or gender? I seriously doubt that.

I don't have any exact numbers, of course, but many country clubs have been founded within the past 40, 30, 20 years and yes, I would say that all or most of them are open to most anyone who can afford them.

At least for the CCs in DC, they become your social hub and your kids' summer camp. I'd bet many families spend multiple nights a week at the club, especially in the summer.

Yeah, the big 4 clubs in Charlotte cost $50-100K, and they're also very tough to get into, some with long wait lists. There are plenty of other solid clubs (and better golf courses in some cases) around the city that are way less than that.

It's the Wake/AD mindset that anyone who is worth inviting immediately knows and can relate to the term. Let alone the fact that they think a dress code is mandatory at all for a fundraising event.

The creation of Country Clubs and Country Days (schools) was all about segregation and exclusion.

Its up to you if you're cool with that association, I guess.

You are speaking historically, of course, and that is true for many clubs (and schools). But, it is not true for all and it is certainly not true for most clubs founded within the past 50 years. As others have pointed out, there are all kinds of country clubs. There are old clubs founded in an age of segregation and populated by old money. I have been to some of those clubs and they are boring and stuffy - the courses and the tennis courts are empty. In my experience these clubs have a membership that is dying out - many of them are changing their ways, or will have to change their ways, in order to survive.

There are also many clubs founded more recently and aimed at more of a middle-class clientele - people who like to play golf and who have families who enjoy the pool, the tennis courts, the fitness facilities, the other activities, etc. The courses are busy, the members are younger, the place is buzzing with activity. Those are the clubs that I am more familiar with - but I understand that many people associate the term 'country club' with the first type.

Shocking direction this thread has taken. Truly shocking.

honestly, most of them should just call themselves Golf Clubs and ditch all the dumb social stuff.

A lot depends on how long you plan on being a member. I wrote a check for $22K in 1996 to join the club where I still play. That initiation fee is now less than $1000 per year.

A lot depends on how long you plan on being a member. I wrote a check for $22K in 1996 to join the club where I still play. That initiation fee is now less than $1000 per year.

Oooof. Is the club falling apart or do you have 20,000 members ?

honestly, most of them should just call themselves Golf Clubs and ditch all the dumb social stuff.

I agree with the golf part. My club is a golf club, no pool or tennis courts. Just a great golf course and a clubhouse.

We enjoy the social aspect of the club. My wife and I eat there a couple of times a month and I can go over to the clubhouse any Friday or Saturday in nice weather and there will always be guys having a beer and a cigar on the patio.

Back