• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

It's the Wake/AD mindset that anyone who is worth inviting immediately knows and can relate to the term. Let alone the fact that they think a dress code is mandatory at all for a fundraising event.

correct.

it's also not surprising which posters are defending it.

for the record i think the invite language is tacky and defending it is ridiculous. Wake's AD sucks. I enjoyed my time at wake and value my experiences but man when you get a 10,000' view the image of the school is often just bleh

i have never been a member or a country club and never will be. But my youngest son and his family are.

How are caricatures of country club folk different from caricatures of ghetto folk in terms of being overly simplistic expressions of personal bias and prejudice?

i have never been a member or a country club and never will be. But my youngest son and his family are.

How are caricatures of country club folk different from caricatures of ghetto folk in terms of being overly simplistic expressions of personal bias and prejudice?

could this post get any better?

Most people contributing to this conversation have a lot of personal experiences with country clubs.

And yes, like Milhouse said - not surprising which posters are defending this.

Also what is the "personal bias and prejudice" against people that are members of country clubs? Is it offensive to be described as snobby and elitist?

I enjoyed my time at wake and value my experiences but man when you get a 10,000' view the image of the school is often just bleh

If your view of Wake is only from this message board, then I can see why you would feel that way. This message board, by its nature, focuses on the negatives. There are some many positive things happening at Wake every week that are never mentioned on here. For example, last week the football team hosted its first "Victory Day" for people with developmental disabilities. The football team paired up with the Down Syndrome Association, and it sounds like they put on a phenomenal event. There was a lot posted about this event on twitter and other online sites, but I did not see it mentioned or discussed on this site at all. Here is an article from the Journal, if you are interested https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_e233bd01-d520-55e9-8f68-bc6c121cbcbf.html The discussions on this message board are so far from what is occurring daily at Wake Forest.

If your view of Wake is only from this message board, then I can see why you would feel that way. This message board, by its nature, focuses on the negatives. There are some many positive things happening at Wake every week that are never mentioned on here. For example, last week the football team hosted its first "Victory Day" for people with developmental disabilities. The football team paired up with the Down Syndrome Association, and it sounds like they put on a phenomenal event. There was a lot posted about this event on twitter and other online sites, but I did not see it mentioned or discussed on this site at all. Here is an article from the Journal, if you are interested https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_e233bd01-d520-55e9-8f68-bc6c121cbcbf.html The discussions on this message board are so far from what is occurring daily at Wake Forest.

I don't doubt the school does a lot of good in the community and academically. But the way the school chooses to present itself, especially to its own family, is often gross.

I think he's right. In general the University is overpriced, admits super rich kids at one the highest rates in the country, has one of the lowest rates of upward social mobility, preaches pro humanitate while at the same time reinforcing a system where those born with privilege are allowed to succeed, has an extremely overpaid administration while underpaying the blue-collar workers; a microcosm of the gap in wealth being amplified in this country over the previous 3 decades, etc. One day here and there does not do much to change the general culture of the University.

I don't doubt the school does a lot of good in the community and academically. But the way the school chooses to present itself, especially to its own family, is often gross.

I disagree. You are basing that off the info you gather from this website, which has a large negative slant.

I mean most people who take the time to comment on the Wake message boards likely keep up to date on Wake through plenty of other sources.

I think he's right. In general the University is overpriced, admits super rich kids at one the highest rates in the country, has one of the lowest rates of upward social mobility, preaches pro humanitate while at the same time reinforcing a system where those born with privilege are allowed to succeed, has an extremely overpaid administration while underpaying the blue-collar workers; a microcosm of the gap in wealth being amplified in this country over the previous 3 decades, etc. One day here and there does not do much to change the general culture of the University.

There is a lot in this post, so I'll just start with your first argument. I think Wake is priced similarly to other elite private universities. In fact, in the most widely used ranking (US News), Wake is the #24 best value school https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/wake-forest-2978 Wake is also #13 in undergraduate teaching, which I would argue is a key topic for most undergraduates.

Yeah a lot of those criticisms are valid criticisms for private universities as a whole (administration and overpriced).

There is a lot in this post, so I'll just start with your first argument. I think Wake is priced similarly to other elite private universities. In fact, in the most widely used ranking (US News), Wake is the #24 best value school https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/wake-forest-2978 Wake is also #13 in undergraduate teaching, which I would argue is a key topic for most undergraduates.

The overpriced point can't be defended by citing other overpriced universities, to prove me wrong show me that Wake Forest is top 20 in ROI. A key topic for most undergraduates would be, depending on honesty and who you are talking to, how much fun can I have in 4 years and then still turn it around into a profitable career while having minimal debt.

I mean most people who take the time to comment on the Wake message boards likely keep up to date on Wake through plenty of other sources.

That seems like a reasonable assumption, but the key events at Wake in any given week often do not end up being discussed here. As another very recent example, the anti-racism coalition (ARC) event Monday night was a really powerful event and was covered by WFDD, the Journal, etc. But there was no mention of it here.

Back