• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

it's more likely that i've just changed personally and find the air a little stale

They should have just said business casual if they had concerns about folks showing up in Oakleys, XXL “athletic” polos and flips flops. “Country club casual” sounds like the opposite of outreach to alumni in my age group who hate seeing us suck and are reluctant to give anything and makes me think it’ll be a LOWF blue hair suck up convention.

The overpriced point can't be defended by citing other overpriced universities, to prove me wrong show me that Wake Forest is top 20 in ROI. A key topic for most undergraduates would be, depending on honesty and who you are talking to, how much fun can I have in 4 years and then still turn it around into a profitable career while having minimal debt.

You want me to "prove you wrong" on ROI, and you want me to include how much fun you can have in 4 years? What? Here's my best approach - Wake never used to sniff the "top party schools" list on Princeton Review, and now Wake is #14. Sounds like a lot of fan can be had! https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=party-schools

WF's tuition was higher than that of Harvard, MIT, and Stanford last I checked, and when my oldest was applying to universities WF was kind enough to inform me that we'd be expected to pay the full freight (there are merit scholarships...we didn't apply to see whether he would earn one)

So for me, personally, I consider WF to be overpriced

You want me to "prove you wrong" on ROI, and you want me to include how much fun you can have in 4 years? What? Here's my best approach - Wake never used to sniff the "top party schools" list on Princeton Review, and now Wake is #14. Sounds like a lot of fan can be had! https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=party-schools

Shootings, rapes, frat parties on campus and the jewel known as The Last Resort. Yeah so much fun, does Playboy still rate this I trust them a little more.

Jesus not this shit again. Every single private university has sky high tuition in 2019. Wake Forest is no better or worse in that sense than any other school.

it's more likely that i've just changed personally and find the air a little stale

As I pointed out, Wake is now ranked as the #14 party school by Princeton Review. It is also much more diverse and liberal than it used to be, so if those are not your things, then I understand why you don't like the changes. But if those changes do fit your preferences, then maybe you are viewing Wake through a very different lens than you would as a current student.

Rafi doesn't work in the AD's office, he is in the WFU Media Relations office. Figured it out after all this time.

Yeah, the big 4 clubs in Charlotte cost $50-100K, and they're also very tough to get into, some with long wait lists. There are plenty of other solid clubs (and better golf courses in some cases) around the city that are way less than that.

Yeah I was at Pine Island a few weeks ago for an event and they were running an under-50 new member special with an $850 initiation fee and golf dues of like $350/month ($150/month for a social-only membership). I don't play golf so can't comment on the course itself, but they've got a fantastic restaurant and bar and a really nice pool for the kids. I didn't pull the trigger as I have too much other shit to waste my time on, but it sounded like a great deal for a family with someone who likes to golf and enjoys the other social elements. I know several people who belong and love the value.

Hell, I grew up as a CC kid as a teen. The issue isn't whether there are good/better CC's. The issue is that the term Country Club Casual throws up unecessary walls for a number of big Wake fans I know. It's even more absurd for an event in downtown of a metropolitan place like Charlotte. Then again, it likely appeals to the same fudds who have been sipping Champagne with Ronny and supporting this dumpster fire the last 10 years.

This is pretty goddamn spot on.

Yeah I was at Pine Island a few weeks ago for an event and they were running an under-50 new member special with an $850 initiation fee and golf dues of like $350/month ($150/month for a social-only membership). I don't play golf so can't comment on the course itself, but they've got a fantastic restaurant and bar and a really nice pool for the kids. I didn't pull the trigger as I have too much other shit to waste my time on, but it sounded like a great deal for a family with someone who likes to golf and enjoys the other social elements. I know several people who belong and love the value.

Good grief. That's cheaper than a neighborhood pool membership in parts of Charlotte.

SO says somebody who can't get into a country club or afford the dues! :eek:[/QUOTE

giphy.gif

So can anybody explain why they went with “country club casual” instead of “business casual?”

Why restrict attendance to people familiar with country club culture rather than people familiar with business culture?

All I know is I’m not supposed to dress like Rodney Dangerfield’s character in Caddyshack.

Hell, I grew up as a CC kid as a teen. The issue isn't whether there are good/better CC's. The issue is that the term Country Club Casual throws up unecessary walls for a number of big Wake fans I know. It's even more absurd for an event in downtown of a metropolitan place like Charlotte. Then again, it likely appeals to the same fudds who have been sipping Champagne with Ronny and supporting this dumpster fire the last 10 years.

What's the dress code in the athletic office? I could almost see this as an attempt to try and be more open. Don't worry about the coat and tie, come and be country club causal/relaxed. So yes, don't wear a jersey, but come on down.

Of course, I don't even think the banks are coat and tie anymore are they?

the best argument is they want the people who enjoy the phrase and association because those are the idiots who dump money on the dumpster fire

Back