• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cocktails with Currie - Country Club Casual

Seems like what you wear to lounge by the pool at the country club is pretty casual. Would that be allowed?

People are really overthinking this. They used country club casual because that’s a phrase the one or two people in charge of sending out this message knew. They didn’t consider whether it was a welcoming phrase or anything, they cranked that thing out in no time at all.

And we should be clear, the WFU Charlotte Center, where the event will be held is primarily just a bunch of windowless downstairs office space. No one will mistake it for an actual country club, regardless of attire.

So can anybody explain why they went with “country club casual” instead of “business casual?”

Why restrict attendance to people familiar with country club culture rather than people familiar with business culture?

All I know is I’m not supposed to dress like Rodney Dangerfield’s character in Caddyshack.

What is business casual these days? I can wear jeans to work - tennis shoes too. And won't "business casual" restrict people that are retired and/or don't actually have a business job? And the end of the day, these are all general descriptions of a type of attire, and anyone with an IQ over 50 should be able to google "country club casual" or "business casual" or "whatever the fuck casual" and quickly understand the appropriate type of dress. I have a hard time believing anyone is going to go "I really want to go to this thing, but I think I am supposed to wear knickers, a tie, and a sweater vest, and I don't have that, so I guess I can't go."

If your view of Wake is only from this message board, then I can see why you would feel that way. This message board, by its nature, focuses on the negatives. There are some many positive things happening at Wake every week that are never mentioned on here. For example, last week the football team hosted its first "Victory Day" for people with developmental disabilities. The football team paired up with the Down Syndrome Association, and it sounds like they put on a phenomenal event. There was a lot posted about this event on twitter and other online sites, but I did not see it mentioned or discussed on this site at all. Here is an article from the Journal, if you are interested https://www.journalnow.com/sports/c...cle_e233bd01-d520-55e9-8f68-bc6c121cbcbf.html The discussions on this message board are so far from what is occurring daily at Wake Forest.

Those types of things are just the ante to play. And the campus as a whole does charity work and community involvement. I can see why it wouldn't be discussed here.

What is business casual these days? I can wear jeans to work - tennis shoes too. And won't "business casual" restrict people that are retired and/or don't actually have a business job? And the end of the day, these are all general descriptions of a type of attire, and anyone with an IQ over 50 should be able to google "country club casual" or "business casual" or "whatever the fuck casual" and quickly understand the appropriate type of dress. I have a hard time believing anyone is going to go "I really want to go to this thing, but I think I am supposed to wear knickers, a tie, and a sweater vest, and I don't have that, so I guess I can't go."

It must be hard to miss the point this badly.

People are really overthinking this. They used country club casual because that’s a phrase the one or two people in charge of sending out this message knew. They didn’t consider whether it was a welcoming phrase or anything, they cranked that thing out in no time at all.

Or they used it to convey that it would be a pretty causal event, even more so than business casual. Scandalous!

Substantially less expensive. I think monthly dues for under 40 are $300. I haven't spoken to their membership director about it in a couple of years but I'm close to pulling the trigger on joining there. Need to dig around a little more

I originally joined Pine Brook [now Maple Chase] back in 1986 when they were looking hard for young members and paid $800 to join. Played golf with a lot of great Wake Forest faculty folks like Ivey Gentry for instance. Stayed there until 1996 when we moved to Oak Valley which is semi private/public. Now have downsized and moved to Bermuda Run West. For a nice economical HOA fee they take care of all of the yardwork including the mowing, leaves & pine needles plus trimming of shrubs. Even got all the 14" of snow off the driveway & steps in Dec for $40. Don't play gold anymore but you have to belong to Bermuda Run CC and can use either the East or the West. Mulligans is our place of choice for easy dinner, Monday night "Titos & Trivia" and darts, plus many other social events they have. The ONE membership at $245/month gives you 1/2 price on all food and can use any Club Corp place in the country [which I did at the Birmingham Bowl when I had dinner the night before the game at the City Club on the 31st floor.

as in, CC means you can be sloppier than BC

in my mind, CCC is less forgiving of being sloppy than BC

Yeah sorry I misread your response to Rafi. The more/less casual threw me off.

I would think CC casual is more casual than business.

personally, i would assume CC casual is less casual than business casual

I've never heard the term "country club casual" in my life, but fortunately I have internet access and within 30 seconds was able to learn that it is more casual than business casual and it is a phrase used by people that plan events. Other phrases include (BTW, I'm not yelling, I just copied and pasted these from a website):

SMART CASUAL
DRESSY CASUAL
COUNTRY CLUB CASUAL
BUSINESS CASUAL
COCKTAIL ATTIRE
LOUNGE
WHITE TIE
BLACK TIE
CREATIVE BLACK TIE
WARM WEATHER BLACK TIE
BLACK TIE OPTIONAL

The state of our program right now can't afford to turn anyone away who has interest in these events.

"Come as you are" would be the smart move.

If we were winning and didn't want to gripe about anything, this wouldn't even be a thread. We are just miserable fucks who want to find fault in everything that's happening at MSD, so here we are.

Back