• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Workout and lifting advice/questions

Never do one time max lifts.

couldn't agree with this more...that is a young man's ego boost (you are more prone to injuries doing max lifts).

depending on age and body condition, I would recommend full body metabolic conditioning. For the most part it utilizes compound strength exercises while working in cardio movements. You should be able to find something not too expensive and in group training. it is however, set up for 35+ age to tone up and lose weight. if you are "skinny" as your name indicates you could find one more robust to add a little size but not lose flexibility.

couldn't agree with this more...that is a young man's ego boost (you are more prone to injuries doing max lifts).

depending on age and body condition, I would recommend full body metabolic conditioning. For the most part it utilizes compound strength exercises while working in cardio movements. You should be able to find something not too expensive and in group training. it is however, set up for 35+ age to tone up and lose weight. if you are "skinny" as your name indicates you could find one more robust to add a little size but not lose flexibility.

Max lifts/max gains. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to get out of your plan, but if overall strength is what you're looking for, one rep maxes are pretty necessary. They're also helpful for using percentages on ladder scale lifts as well and maximizing the amount of time that you spend in the gym. There is no magic age that max outs become more dangerous; just be mindful of form and have a trustworthy lifting partner.

Max lifts/max gains. I guess it all depends on what you're trying to get out of your plan, but if overall strength is what you're looking for, one rep maxes are pretty necessary. They're also helpful for using percentages on ladder scale lifts as well and maximizing the amount of time that you spend in the gym. There is no magic age that max outs become more dangerous; just be mindful of form and have a trustworthy lifting partner.

Because you're going to get hurt and it's not an efficient use of your limited time in the gym.

Yeah, I don’t necessarily agree with you take but to each their own. A one time max rep...you will have to explain how that works into your daily routine. I am more of a pragmatist and think more reps, and full range of motion routines (which also includes cardio) are more beneficial to daily life and requirements that you body will encounter. Just my .02.

Because you're going to get hurt and it's not an efficient use of your limited time in the gym.

I'm sure we probably haven't different goals with our gym time, and that's ok. To each his own. I'm older than 35, and max outs are still very important to what I do. I also enjoy competing against myself and seeing totals go up, It helps to keep me driven and motivated.

I'm sure we probably haven't different goals with our gym time, and that's ok. To each his own. I'm older than 35, and max outs are still very important to what I do. I also enjoy competing against myself and seeing totals go up, It helps to keep me driven and motivated.

He's up to lifting six liters of beer, carrying them across a room without losing a single drop. His goal is to get to 10-12 liters like the servers at Octoberfest.

One of the more popular strength training methods is something called the "3-2-1" program. The "1" is for a period of doing 1 rep maxes in your routine. It's certainly not wrong to do 1RMs and it's by no means a young person's game and not just for ego. You obviously have to use correct form, which is true for 8 rep sets, or whatever number you're doing, good form is always paramount. As Mako said, without knowing your 1RM, you can't most effectively do % lifts.

I should note that I am a “skinny” - 6’1” 185 lbs - farm raised - multi sport all conference athlete. I’m not a skinny grandma’s basement gamer.

I’m more starting corner than I am walk on kicker.

Yeah, I don’t necessarily agree with you take but to each their own. A one time max rep...you will have to explain how that works into your daily routine. I am more of a pragmatist and think more reps, and full range of motion routines (which also includes cardio) are more beneficial to daily life and requirements that you body will encounter. Just my .02.

I wouldn't suggest maxing out every session, usually every 3 weeks is when i try to take a measure of where I'm at. It varies for some. Cardio is important too. A well rounded approach to overall fitness is optimal. I throw yoga in a couple of times a week, run 3 times a week, and try to do some hiit training as well when I can. Different plans work for different people.

One of the more popular strength training methods is something called the "3-2-1" program. The "1" is for a period of doing 1 rep maxes in your routine. It's certainly not wrong to do 1RMs and it's by no means a young person's game and not just for ego. You obviously have to use correct form, which is true for 8 rep sets, or whatever number you're doing, good form is always paramount. As Mako said, without knowing your 1RM, you can't most effectively do % lifts.

So you only get 6 reps per workout?

So you only get 6 reps per workout?

I honestly don't know the specifics of that program, I've never done it. I see some people getting good results with it though. If you Google "5 3 1* strength training" you'll get the deets.

* Edited to not be wrong.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know the specifics of that program, I've never done it. I see some people getting good results with it though. If you Google "3 2 1 training" you'll get the deets.

For my heavy lift of the day(squat, bench, clean, deadlift) I hit 5 reps at 50% of max, 5 at 75%, 4 at 80%, and 5 sets of 3 at 85% of my 1 rep max. Then I hit the ancillary and secondary lifts for the day in a pretty rapid succession, and close with a tabata exercise or a run the rack type exercise. I've been doing this for a couple of months now, and my gains have been pretty decent, and I'm not nearly as bored with my workout as I was with the rut that I had gotten into.

You definitely do not need to lift. Even upper body lifts require core stabilization which could worsen the hernia. I would try low impact cardio like an elliptical or stationary bike to get your heart rate up. I'd even avoid things like swimming as you don't have a predefined range of motion and could potentially cause more injury. From what I understand the procedure to fix a sports hernia isn't bad and is a pretty quick recovery.

This. Do not lift at all until you have an official diagnosis. You may even get bigger in the week it takes to do that while you rest.

Not sure about your age, but at some point, serious lifting is not going to suit you. The body just won’t recover as quickly (on its own— supplements obviously help, but always be cognizant or your body’s ability to heal itself).

There is an old P90X thread that details a lot of folks and their workout routines. It might be good to look that one up. As lame as it sounds, I find that I get much better, much more well rounded workouts by doing video workouts.

Back