• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Workout and lifting advice/questions

skinnydeac

Reaction score
I went back 10 pages and didn’t see anything on the topic. Based on the number of you with Pelotons it seems like some of you might take care of yourselves.

I don’t really follow a specific program like CrossFit or powerlifting. I just kind of do whatever I feel like that day. Recently, I think I may have gotten a hernia. Anyone ever had one? If so, were you able to continue until you got it repaired?

Oh yeah, how much do you bench, bro?

If you tweet at Ryan Horn he will respond thoughtfully

I have an appointment already. Just curious if anyone else had it happen and if they had to completely stop lifting or modify their workouts.

I’ve found that knowing when to take a few days can be one of the most difficult exercise skills to learn.

I’ve found that knowing when to take a few days can be one of the most difficult exercise skills to learn.

This may be the smartest thing ever said on the boards. Giving your body ample time to heal from injury as opposed to working through the pain will lead to much better gains in the long run. Don't lift until you've seen the doctor. I've derailed my progression due to lack of patience with injuries on more than one occasion, especially when dealing with squats. Oh yeah, and I can bench a goddamn Buick.

No pain no gain. Keep lifting as much as you can possibly lift regardless of form. The more weight the better, the more times the better. Thats how you get ripped.

This may be the smartest thing ever said on the boards. Giving your body ample time to heal from injury as opposed to working through the pain will lead to much better gains in the long run. Don't lift until you've seen the doctor. I've derailed my progression due to lack of patience with injuries on more than one occasion, especially when dealing with squats. Oh yeah, and I can bench a goddamn Buick.

Old school Buick, not that new lightweight shit, right?

Definitely see a good doctor immediately. Stop training.

Rest is essential for recovery and strength gains.

Body by Science by Doug McGruff is a great book that explains why.

You don’t have to train as much as you think to cut/maintain/build strength providing you follow a few important principles.

I had an inguinal hernia a few years back. You really should not be working out until fixed, you can make it worse. It is going to require surgery...there are two different methods depending on the hernia.

1. Cut down method, includes adding a mesh (well they both add mesh, this one is open surgery). This is what i had and it was painful and had me in bed for over a week.
2. Laparoscopic, similar to a hysterotomy (i believe). Hope you can do this one, recovery is much quicker.

you will not be able to work out or put pressure (a variety of ways) on the area for a while.

I have an appointment already. Just curious if anyone else had it happen and if they had to completely stop lifting or modify their workouts.

You definitely do not need to lift. Even upper body lifts require core stabilization which could worsen the hernia. I would try low impact cardio like an elliptical or stationary bike to get your heart rate up. I'd even avoid things like swimming as you don't have a predefined range of motion and could potentially cause more injury. From what I understand the procedure to fix a sports hernia isn't bad and is a pretty quick recovery.

Also, depending on what you're looking to accomplish, it would definitely help to stick to a prescribed routine or plan when you heal up.

Also, depending on what you're looking to accomplish, it would definitely help to stick to a prescribed routine or plan when you heal up.

This was my take-away from the OP. The notion of doing whatever isn't going to be nearly as helpful as a plan you adhere to, even during the times like now when you can't be adherent. Even something as simple as Stronglifts 5x5 would be a good place to start with a routine.

Yeah, I haven't quite been able to nail down what I'm going for. I haven't been lifting but about a year and a half. I'm naturally good at the functional movement stuff, but as my name suggests, I'm terrible at one time max lifts.

Yeah, I haven't quite been able to nail down what I'm going for. I haven't been lifting but about a year and a half. I'm naturally good at the functional movement stuff, but as my name suggests, I'm terrible at one time max lifts.

Then I'll reemphasize the SL5x5 program. Simple and effective for building strength. Guaranteed.

*ETA - SL is a derivation of "Starting Strength" which is a better program. The only difference is SS includes Power Cleans and SL uses shoulder presses. The latter works better for me, but others prefer the former.

Last edited:
Then I'll reemphasize the SL5x5 program. Simple and effective for building strength. Guaranteed.

*ETA - SL is a derivation of "Starting Strength" which is a better program. The only difference is SS includes Power Cleans and SL uses shoulder presses. The latter works better for me, but others prefer the former.

I usually do power cleans and shoulder presses. Is that an either - or kind of thing? Didn't think it would be since they don't use the same muscle groups.

I usually do power cleans and shoulder presses. Is that an either - or kind of thing? Didn't think it would be since they don't use the same muscle groups.

No, not generally. I'm referring specifically to the difference between those two programs (SS and SL). In my case, I just prefer shoulder presses because I'm old and those are easier for me to perform.

what happened to the workout thread from a while back? All in favor of making this the *new official* one?

Back