• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The opportunity cost of the Trump presidency

Newenglanddeac

Reaction score

tenor.gif

Assuming we don't get into some war, it will probably be a net positive to democrats/humanity in the long term. Hard to see the GOP recovering from this.

Assuming we don't get into some war, it will probably be a net positive to democrats/humanity in the long term. Hard to see the GOP recovering from this.

Give it a year or two of Democratic control and the GOP will be looking sweet to the same people who were once disgusted.

Give it a year or two of Democratic control and the GOP will be looking sweet to the same people who were once disgusted.

^This. One of the more discouraging things I've thought about is that, even if a Dem wins in 2020 and the Dems keep the House and take narrow control of the Senate, the GOP still isn't going to change. Fox and other right-wing media will just go on the attack even more, and a huge chunk of Americans will remain Trumpites, even if he's no longer in office. Of course, that would still be far preferable to what we have now, but my point is that I don't think the GOP and right-wing media are ever going to change, or will be willing to compromise to solve problems and get things done in Congress. If the Dems win in 2020, any accomplishments they make will have to be done almost entirely by themselves, as the GOP will just continue to blindly obstruct. We're just in a bad place right now.

I like this perspective but, the GOP only suffered a 4 year absence from the White House over Nixon and then 46 years later they basically did it again. They’ll be back and probably worse.

^This. One of the more discouraging things I've thought about is that, even if a Dem wins in 2020 and the Dems keep the House and take narrow control of the Senate, the GOP still isn't going to change. Fox and other right-wing media will just go on the attack even more, and a huge chunk of Americans will remain Trumpites, even if he's no longer in office. Of course, that would still be far preferable to what we have now, but my point is that I don't think the GOP and right-wing media are ever going to change, or will be willing to compromise to solve problems and get things done in Congress. If the Dems win in 2020, any accomplishments they make will have to be done almost entirely by themselves, as the GOP will just continue to blindly obstruct. We're just in a bad place right now.

McConnell is just as bad as Trump. I look forward to the GOP caring about the deficit again in 2021.

McConnell is just as bad as Trump. I look forward to the GOP caring about the deficit again in 2021.

going to donate as much as possible to get this corpse out of kentucky office. this guy is a royal POS!

i do hope the KSR guy runs, i do think he could win with his following (since i know people that work there). problem is...a lot of rubes in kentucky!

I agree, however todays Pubs no longer trust American institutions like the CIA, NSA and FBI. They'd rather wear a MAGA hat and a t-shirt that says I'd rather be a Russian than a Dem. Seriously, this is where we are. Putin is better at winning than Charlie Sheen.

pubs will trust those institutions as soon as a democrat is president again

meh, fuck the Pubs they put themselves in this position by virtue of their intractable conservatism. The world isn't a static environment, shit changes - and you gotta progress or you are going to end up defending the indefensible - and the only way to successfully do that is to demagogue the shit out of progressive ideas and to lie to the faces of your constituents. Hence, Trump. :noidea:

Back