• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Renovations

My understanding is he was a Tar Hole fan so he'd probably have a pretty good laugh.

Build it and they will come does not apply in this case.

another rending of the plans released this afternoon:

19f130b80612de4a83071173c8eda9ef

what other school in the country treats their basketball arena as a community memorial rather than aiming at bringing back interest in the program. this sucks.

what other school in the country treats their basketball arena as a community memorial rather than aiming at bringing back interest in the program. this sucks.

This. Very disappointing. I not interested in school children taking field trips. So weird.

Pretty weird overall. Obviously investing money to quell inevitable community backlash for selling the naming rights. Regardless, act like you're a school interested in your own results instead of creating a hypernationalistic community center.

Pretty weird overall. Obviously investing money to quell inevitable community backlash for selling the naming rights. Regardless, act like you're a school interested in your own results instead of creating a hypernationalistic community center.

It’s not Wake investing money, right? It’s $10 million from the state to upgrade the outside and inside of the coliseum.

I think the design is unimaginative dreck. Winston-Salem is blowing an opportunity to build a nice memorial park in a more appropriate location.

It’s not Wake investing money, right? It’s $10 million from the state to upgrade the outside and inside of the coliseum.

I cant wait for our basketball arena to have "multiple quiet zones" to fully appreciate great men. there is a place for that definitely...but its not at an arena for what is supposed to be the flagship program. to me this just shows wake fully giving up on its basketball program. fuckin sell outs

I'm good with it. Might as well make it a museum. The only draw it will have.

I cant wait for our basketball arena to have "multiple quiet zones" to fully appreciate great men. there is a place for that definitely...but its not at an arena for what is supposed to be the flagship program. to me this just shows wake fully giving up on its basketball program. fuckin sell outs

As it is now, the entire buiding is one over-sized quiet zone.

This is Ron doing it the Wake Forest way. Why have a rabid loud fanbase when you can have 100 octogenarians quietly sipping their wine and yelling at the few people under 50 to keep the noise down.

guess this is the plan to keep it that way permanently again...

Legit think prosser would have never let something this stupid happen...

I think the design is unimaginative dreck. Winston-Salem is blowing an opportunity to build a nice memorial park in a more appropriate location.

The current building with the memorial to Lawrenxw Joel and all Veterans was part of the deal that got Wake out of the quonset hut building. When that happened, Wake could not afford to build their own basketball facility so the joint Coliseum was built.

The memorial to a Medal of Honor winner exists at no other major college basketball facility. The field trips by students will be an excuse to acquaint them with awake Forest and what the university stands for.

guess this is the plan to keep it that way permanently again...

Legit think prosser would have never let something this stupid happen...
Skip would have no problem at all with a veterans memorial. If we want to remodel the Coliseum and remove personal war memorial monuments to do it. We are obviously going to have to replace them with something really big or you are going to anger a lot of Forsyth county residents. I don't see why this is hard to understand.

The current building with the memorial to Lawrenxw Joel and all Veterans was part of the deal that got Wake out of the quonset hut building. When that happened, Wake could not afford to build their own basketball facility so the joint Coliseum was built.

The memorial to a Medal of Honor winner exists at no other major college basketball facility. The field trips by students will be an excuse to acquaint them with awake Forest and what the university stands for.

I'm aware of that.

The city should have made a real memorial somewhere more appropriate when they sold it to Wake.

Back