• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Renovations

Maybe Joel Osteen would want it for his east coast pulpit. We know he likes to take over basketball arenas, and it's got half his name on it already.

Announcer: "Welcome everybody to Winston Salem, North Carolina. Tonight the Wolfpack have traveled west to the Mary Lawrence Joel Osteen Veterans Memorial Coliseum to take on the Demon Deacons."

Announcer: "Welcome everybody to Winston Salem, North Carolina. Tonight the Wolfpack have traveled west to the Mary Lawrence Joel Osteen Veterans Memorial Coliseum to take on the Demon Deacons."

The Wolfpack wouldn't have a prayer.

I read the whole thread anxiously waiting to fight with someone arguing this debacle is good for our basketball team. I was disappointed that I didn’t get that chance.

The first question when targeting real estate is “who is my competitor for this property and what are they offering?” With the Joel, the answer was $1.

There's also the value of the revenue stream from parking fees and concessions that the city used to take all or part of, and we no longer have to pay the city to rent the Joel for every men's and women's basketball game.

We still have to pay to operate the Joel and we can't be getting that much revenue from parking and concessions from people watching a bad team.

We still have to pay to operate the Joel and we can't be getting that much revenue from parking and concessions from people watching a bad team.

It's certainly been a declining revenue stream for a while now. Unfortunately, the only alternatives are Greensboro, Reynolds Gymnasium, and some high school gyms. At the rate the program is going, a high school gym might give us more of a home court advantage.

We also get revenue now from other events that are held in the Coliseum, which the city got before. Unfortunately, that tends to be gun shows, tractor pulls, evangelists, and minor C&W acts. WFU contracted with the Greensboro Coliseum to market the Joel along with BB&T. I'm not sure if that was a smart move, because Greensboro is far larger than the Joel, so big acts are going to go there, and if I'm the manager of the Greensboro Coliseum, I'm going to get my own facility booked before I send business to the Joel. Maybe the arrangement with Greensboro helped with the Billy Joel and Guns & Roses shows at BB&T, though.

Last edited:
It's certainly been a declining revenue stream for a while now. Unfortunately, the only alternatives are Greensboro, Reynolds Gymnasium, and some high school gyms. At the rate the program is going, a high school gym might give us more of a home court advantage.

We also get revenue now from other events that are held in the Coliseum, which the city got before. Unfortunately, that tends to be gun shows, tractor pulls, evangelists, and minor C&W acts. WFU contracted with the Greensboro Coliseum to market the Joel along with BB&T. I'm not sure if that was a smart move, because Greensboro is far larger than the Joel, so big acts are going to go there, and if I'm the manager of the Greensboro Coliseum, I'm going to get my own facility booked before I send business to the Joel. Maybe the arrangement with Greensboro helped with the Billy Joel and Guns & Roses shows at BB&T, though.

Is that because you hate rural people or do those things bring significantly less revenue?

Back