• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Kentucky Derby TODAY

What more vacation could a stallion want? Instead of being ridden by some guy who hits him with a whip to make him run faster, he is out in a pasture. Willing, nubile mares for his pleasure. Best oats and food money can buy. Fresh straw in his stall. Somebody who cleans his stall. Frequent baths and yes, massages. For all this, he just has to service the mares, something he'd willingly do for free.

Stallions are on permanent vacation. They should unionize to change what about this?

What more vacation could a stallion want? Instead of being ridden by some guy who hits him with a whip to make him run faster, he is out in a pasture. Willing, nubile mares for his pleasure. Best oats and food money can buy. Fresh straw in his stall. Somebody who cleans his stall. Frequent baths and yes, massages. For all this, he just has to service the mares, something he'd willingly do for free.

Stallions are on permanent vacation. They should unionize to change what about this?

If you saw that piece on Justified and American Pharaoh, they can get around 150-175 stud fees a year. That's good work if you can get it.

Typical anti-labor position :)

No one would pay $175,000 to fuck Seth Hancock or Will Farish. Why should they get all the money, benefits and glory?

If you saw that piece on Justified and American Pharaoh, they can get around 150-175 stud fees a year. That's good work if you can get it.

Yep, tapping 80+ fillies a year. Triple Crown winner gets as much action as he can handle.

Could/should the jockey have done anything to prevent the veer?

Probably not. Something appeared to spook the horse or the horse hit something in the mud. Saez did a really good job of handling the horse. It was close to miraculous that War of Will didn't go down as his front hooves nearly got into Maximum Securities back legs. This could have been a real mess or even a disaster. I can't fault either jockey on this one.

Could/should the jockey have done anything to prevent the veer?

Right after the race, the jockey on Maximum Security said that crowd noise spooked his horse and he went a little wide, but he got the horse straightened out as soon as he could. I think he knew then that it wasn't a clean ride.

Probably not. Something appeared to spook the horse or the horse hit something in the mud. Saez did a really good job of handling the horse. It was close to miraculous that War of Will didn't go down as his front hooves nearly got into Maximum Securities back legs. This could have been a real mess or even a disaster. I can't fault either jockey on this one.

True. Saez did blame it on the crowd noise coming off that turn.

Not sure how you prepare a horse for that (for the first time). Like a boom of noise, I suppose.

If he's healthy, don't understand the decision to not run Maximum Security in the Preakness. The field will be smaller, and if MS trounces Country Home as expected, it would further support the narrative that MS got screwed at Churchill Downs and that he is the best 3 year-old, which would boost his future value.

True. Saez did blame it on the crowd noise coming off that turn.

Not sure how you prepare a horse for that (for the first time). Like a boom of noise, I suppose.

Most horses never experience having massive sound from the inside and outside at the same time. It's a little surprising more horses aren't impacted.

As I said earlier, Bill Mott doesn't run his younger horses that much. Not running Country House isn't that big a surprise. Plus, if Country House lost big in the Preakness, his syndication cost would go way down.

Can we get a thread title change? I just thumbed through my TV Guide looking for what channel to tune into. It took me nearly an hour to figure out that the Kentrucky Derby isn't actually today.

Back