• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Agrees to new 8 year deal

I like Clawson and think he has a bright future but locking down a coach after a 7-6 year in which no other programs were interested is pretty weak.

I think Wellman painted himself into this corner by paying a loser basketball coach more than a football coach on the rise.

Didn't know you were privy to this info.

Do you really think interest that doesn’t make noise is worth worrying about? Was that the same interest that motivated us to extend Manning?

It's absolutely comical that this was announced on Wellman's last day as AD. 100% trying to get the stink off of Wellman's career (not going to happen), instead of giving Currie an easy victory his first month on the job.

This was actually done a month ago before the shit hit fan about Danny. For some reason they kept it quiet. Presumably because they expected blowback about Manning. Mellonhead has very poor success with LT contracts. He just cant help homself.

MFF.

This is great for Wake. Claw should coach here for life if he wants.

Go Deacs.

I like Clawson and hope he is at WFU for a long time due to on-field success. But coach for life based on accomplishments to date? No.

Do you really think interest that doesn’t make noise is worth worrying about? Was that the same interest that motivated us to extend Manning?

Always has to be someone to piss on the parade. No rational human being would equate the circumstances preceding Clawson 2019 extension to Manning's 2017 extension.

Last year, Clawson was the lowest paid ACC coach (link: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ ), and the only Power V coaches making less were: David Beatty Kansas (fired), Tom Allen Indiana and Justin Wilcox Cal. There are 65 Power V jobs, Clawson salary was 62nd. To leave that contract status quo because wasn't playing the game of getting his agent to flirt with every opening would invite that step next.

Good to get out of ahead of the competition, the extension did that. Guess there is always someone to try find the negative in positive news.

Happy it got done, but dick move by Wellman yet again. If Currie doesn't see his mentor as a giant asshole yet, then he is too much of a sucker to lead a power 5 athletic department.

This was a dick move by Wellman. It was arrogant and selfish. If it was in the plan, let Currie do it tomorrow.

Great news, he’s absolutely earned it. I hope this next part isn’t too controversial, but I don’t care for Wellman’s ego.

Great news, he’s absolutely earned it. I hope this next part isn’t too controversial, but I don’t care for Wellman’s ego.

The most important part about Wellman's ego is that it will be attached to the retired Director of Wake Forest Athletics very soon.

Last year we beat State, when they actually thought they were headed to a New Year's bowl, destroyed Duke, apparently had a soon to be undrafted First Team AA KR/WR and won another bowl game. Well done.

This year, we should be riding (last year carryover to this year) a 4 game winning streak headed into our home game vs. UNC.

Beat the hell out of already cheating you know he is Mack Brown, as a clear objective for 2019.

MFF.

This is great for Wake. Claw should coach here for life if he wants.

Go Deacs.

We said that about Grobe and even Wellman at one point . In ron we trust.

4-5 make sure there is always 4-5 years left on the length and reward performance.

It's absolutely comical that this was announced on Wellman's last day as AD. 100% trying to get the stink off of Wellman's career (not going to happen), instead of giving Currie an easy victory his first month on the job.

Exactly what I thought.

One more win and he's the third winningest HC in program history - lock that shit down!

Always has to be someone to piss on the parade. No rational human being would equate the circumstances preceding Clawson 2019 extension to Manning's 2017 extension.

Last year, Clawson was the lowest paid ACC coach (link: https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ ), and the only Power V coaches making less were: David Beatty Kansas (fired), Tom Allen Indiana and Justin Wilcox Cal. There are 65 Power V jobs, Clawson salary was 62nd. To leave that contract status quo because wasn't playing the game of getting his agent to flirt with every opening would invite that step next.

Good to get out of ahead of the competition, the extension did that. Guess there is always someone to try find the negative in positive news.

Spot on! we are rewarding success, like little we have ever seen. Amazing those that fight to find the flaws here. with Ph, it is like his brain cells are inversely related to his post total. maybe he gets to 100k and takes a hiatus ala Rchill so he wont have to face FB positives?

Don't let your hatred for Ron cloud your judement. This is fantastic for Wake. Dave is the perfect coach for us and should be paid well

We do not have enough information to say if this is a good act or not. As we have learned with Manning, a Wellman-led extension could be terribly one-sided in favor of the coach. While I would generally agree that locking up Clawson is a good move, we also need to have some flexibility.

TITCR

We do not have enough information to say if this is a good act or not. As we have learned with Manning, a Wellman-led extension could be terribly one-sided in favor of the coach. While I would generally agree that locking up Clawson is a good move, we also need to have some flexibility.

Yep.

Back