• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Agrees to new 8 year deal

Seems to be more about pay than term anyway -- he already had a deal through 2024, so only two years added

I think it is possible to enjoy having Clawson here and think he is a great coach AND be skeptical about our track record with long-term deals and the narcissist offering it on his way out the door.

Perspective is funny...I see people going out of their way to applaud Wellman for an extension without any real details, blindly accepting it to be a good and necessary thing despite no one trying to poach Claw and Wellman's awful recent track record with Grobe's "lifetime" extension, Dino's extension, and Manning's extension, not to mention hiring [Redacted] and Manning in the first place.

Wellman is riding off into the sunset with his retirement, after refusing to leave back in March, making sure that Manning is Currie's problem, and now hanging a huge football extension around his neck that he will have to live out the consequences of, good or bad...and there are still people falling over themselves to praise the guy because we have a good tennis team and he stroked enough egos to get some people to put their names on buildings.

Perspective is funny...I see people going out of their way to applaud Wellman for an extension without any real details, blindly accepting it to be a good and necessary thing despite no one trying to poach Claw and Wellman's awful recent track record with Grobe's "lifetime" extension, Dino's extension, and Manning's extension, not to mention hiring [Redacted] and Manning in the first place.

Wellman is riding off into the sunset with his retirement, after refusing to leave back in March, making sure that Manning is Currie's problem, and now hanging a huge football extension around his neck that he will have to live out the consequences of, good or bad...and there are still people falling over themselves to praise the guy because we have a good tennis team and he stroked enough egos to get some people to put their names on buildings.

Literally none of this is happening. Some people have just completely lost touch with reality when it comes to even seeing Wellman’s name in print. We are just happy that Clawson is receiving a well-deserved raise. The guy is the best football coach we’ve ever had after all and arguably is about as good as we could hope to have here.

Literally none of this is happening. Some people have just completely lost touch with reality when it comes to even seeing Wellman’s name in print. We are just happy that Clawson is receiving a well-deserved raise. The guy is the best football coach we’ve ever had after all and arguably is about as good as we could hope to have here.
Literally, it is. A little here, but definitely in other places around the world wide web.

On his last day, a joint announcement with Wellman and Currie might have been a beautiful transition into the future.
Great move for us with Clawson if the terms are reasonable, but the repulsive stink of Manning basketball still fills the air. The two things are separate.

There's a $35M buyout that continues until three years after the contract ends.

Clawson- pay the man! He's good. :thumbsup:

Wellman- retire the man. He's gone.

Really bad look by Wellman. After befouling Currie's name by saddling him with another year of a dead man walking abortion of a basketball coach, he deprives Currie of a chance to ink his name to the extension of a popular football coach.

This should have been a chance for Currie to gain support among the fan base.

Wellman is just such a dick even on the way out. No way Wake should have let him anywhere near another high profile contract after botching the last one.

FWIW: XM sports radio was talking about Clawson's new contract - said he had gotten some interest over the last couple of years, but a HUGE buyout was one of the reasons no one had hired him away.

I get mocking the 7-6 record unless you look at how it happened. We lose our veteran QB and start the season with a true freshman. We fire our DC. We are reduced to one true LB...1! And how many bowl teams did we defeat? Beating State on their home field on a nationally televised game playing a QB who had never started a game and demolishing Duke on their home field. That record was really quite remarkable and demonstrates some coaching genius.

And about badmouthing Wellman, imagine if he had allowed Clawson to be hired away from Wake. In the eyes of some Wellman cannot win no matter what at this stage. He has made some major blunders, but this was not one of them.

I like Clawson and think he has a bright future but locking down a coach after a 7-6 year in which no other programs were interested is pretty weak.

I think Wellman painted himself into this corner by paying a loser basketball coach more than a football coach on the rise.

NAH !

Clawson probably deserves a raise and I'm happy with the direction of the football program under his leadership.

I think it is ridiculous that a lame duck athletic director executed the extension instead of allowing the responsibility to transition to the new AD.

And about badmouthing Wellman, imagine if he had allowed Clawson to be hired away from Wake. In the eyes of some Wellman cannot win no matter what at this stage. He has made some major blunders, but this was not one of them.

In fairness, we do not know if this was a blunder or not. All we know is that Claw and his staff got raises and Claw is extended for the long term. I think the length of the extension is a little troubling based on Grobe, but we do not know anything else about this deal to determine how bad Dearest Leader may have screwed this up. The devil is in the details and all that.

I get mocking the 7-6 record unless you look at how it happened. We lose our veteran QB and start the season with a true freshman. We fire our DC. We are reduced to one true LB...1! And how many bowl teams did we defeat? Beating State on their home field on a nationally televised game playing a QB who had never started a game and demolishing Duke on their home field. That record was really quite remarkable and demonstrates some coaching genius.

As Paul Harvey would say 'and now you know the rest of the story'. And it's a pretty good one.

Back