• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Agrees to new 8 year deal

Clawson is easily top 5 coach in the ACC. Dabo just signed for $93 million. Clawson deserved this. His handling of the Sawvel situation was fucking genius management as 90 percent of coaches would have riden the season out with that situation. No Wake coach has ever marketed Wake Forest assets better than Clawson. He just gets it. And as a competitor, he is elite. I don't care how it got done.

Clawson probably deserves a raise and I'm happy with the direction of the football program under his leadership.

I think it is ridiculous that a lame duck athletic director executed the extension instead of allowing the responsibility to transition to the new AD.

this is correct

And about badmouthing Wellman, imagine if he had allowed Clawson to be hired away from Wake. In the eyes of some Wellman cannot win no matter what at this stage. He has made some major blunders, but this was not one of them.

No. But it was a dick move to announce it on his last day. It just reeks of feeding his ego and showing that he is still the Boss.

Generally I’m definitely no defender of Wellman. But he’s been here 27 years and if this is his final act, I have no problem with it. He’s the one who brought Clawson in and it’s not really that controversial an extension. Let’s be grateful he didn’t do something truly terrible. (Again.)

Wellman's problem has always been twofold: elitism and lack of transparency. He has spent the last decade only dealing w the too 25 or so donors and ignoring the fanbase as inconsequential. Because he thinks we are inconsequential, he lacks transparency.

Currie may prove to be an average to sucky ad, but his list of priorities will address these two things, he said.

I really doubt that they just rushed through this contract last week to give Wellman a headline. It seems perfectly logical that this kicked off sometime after Birmingham, and it was the last loose end to wrap up before he retired. I would guess Clawson and his agent probably wanted to lock up the deal with the guy they had the relationship with rather than the unknown of someone new. :noidea:

But you’re right it was probably just done to get under the skin of Jim Smith in Mocksville. You guys exposed his master plan of doing something you like. That bastard !

I really doubt that they just rushed through this contract last week to give Wellman a headline. It seems perfectly logical that this kicked off sometime after Birmingham, and it was the last loose end to wrap up before he retired. I would guess Clawson and his agent probably wanted to lock up the deal with the guy they had the relationship with rather than the unknown of someone new. :noidea:

But you’re right it was probably just done to get under the skin of Jim Smith in Mocksville. You guys exposed his master plan of doing something you like. That bastard !

They could have locked up the deal and just let Currie announce it in a few weeks. Would have given Currie some instant credibility with the rank and file fans.

Wellman has handled the transition to Currie as poorly as possible. There was no reason to stretch this over two months. There is no reason to have him remain "in charge" even after his retirement was announced. There was no reason for Wellman to announce this today. No reason except for feeding Wellman's massive ego.

They could have locked up the deal and just let Currie announce it in a few weeks. Would have given Currie some instant credibility with the rank and file fans.

Wellman has handled the transition to Currie as poorly as possible. There was no reason to stretch this over two months. There is no reason to have him remain "in charge" even after his retirement was announced. There was no reason for Wellman to announce this today. No reason except for feeding Wellman's massive ego.

This. Wellman can't even leave well. Such an ass.

I have a hard time believing that Currie wasn't on board with both the extension or the announcement, but that's just me.

Wake athletics is in a bizzaro world. Anyone who thinks Currie is going to be his own man is clueless.

He can’t hurt you anymore.

He says while Wake is saddled with a dead-man-walking non coach in basketball.

Me thinks Wellman's pain will be with us for at least a decade.

Exactly right, knowell. Not getting rid of Manning is setting the program even further back. The garbage hire of [Redacted] led in no small part to us having to reach for a guy like Manning. So a decision Ron made 10 years ago continues to reverberate and will continue to do so for several more years.

And look, if Wellman had hired someone 10 years ago that did not work out, fine, that happens. But he hired someone that on the face of it was an objectively unreasonable hire. If you are going to make an extreme reach like that, you have to get it right. Wellman failed. Miserably. And refused to acknowledge the failure. Things were so bad that we had to BEG Danny Manning to be our head coach. Danny Manning, who had TWO years of head coaching experience at Tulsa.

Think about that - we were so destitute after [Redacted], that we had to beg a guy with two years of head coaching experience at Tulsa to take an ACC job. After a hint of success, Wellman then proceeds to extend Manning into Trump's 4th term. This is crazy. Just crazy.

I have a hard time believing that Currie wasn't on board with both the extension or the announcement, but that's just me.

Of course he was. Not the point. Wellman should be trying to leave Currie in the best position possible to be successful. Instead, he tried to leave with his career in the best light possible.

No. But it was a dick move to announce it on his last day. It just reeks of feeding his ego and showing that he is still the Boss.

It's OK if the door closed behind him...…....It did, didn't it?

Of course he was. Not the point. Wellman should be trying to leave Currie in the best position possible to be successful. Instead, he tried to leave with his career in the best light possible.

Yep, this.

I'm not someone who generally resides in the visceral anti-Wellman / athletic department camp (if anything, I've been a bit on the apologist side), but this is clearly strange timing. Doubtful it will have much of an imapct on anything, but seems that the pretty obvious no ego move would be to let Currie take credit for the extension to get some goodwill as has been stated.

Is it not clear to anyone with 3 brain cells that the extension would not have occurred if Currie was not on board with it? I mean, the extension would have to be approved by Hatch or the BOT and they would not approve it without the consent of the new athletic director. So Currie was, I am sure, intimately involved in the extension negotiations. He graciously allowed this to be Wellman's swan song. If he did not approve, it would not have happened. He was just being a good soldier by letting Wellman have a nice final act as AD.

Is it not clear to anyone with 3 brain cells that the extension would not have occurred if Currie was not on board with it? I mean, the extension would have to be approved by Hatch or the BOT and they would not approve it without the consent of the new athletic director. So Currie was, I am sure, intimately involved in the extension negotiations. He graciously allowed this to be Wellman's swan song. If he did not approve, it would not have happened. He was just being a good soldier by letting Wellman have a nice final act as AD.

Who the hell are you arguing with? No one is suggesting that Currie was not on board with extending the Clawson. The point is that Wellman could have uused this as an opportunity to get Currie an easy win in a couple weeks, and rather used it to boost his own standing while on the way out the door.

Yeah, pretty easy to agree that Currie signed off on the extension as well as Wellman announcing it, but also that Wellman is an egocentric ass for wanting to be the one to announce it on his last day as a lame duck AD.

Back