• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UCLA offers to Double Jay Wright's Salary!

DeacDoug

Reaction score
Jay Wright is the eighth highest paid college coach and earns $3,878,678 per year. Jay reportedly rejected UCLA's offer to double this salary. Is Wake really willing to compete at these levels? Wes Miller is looking better.

Absurd. Cal would still make more if I'm not mistaken.

Edit - according to the google machine, K would too...

Jay Wright is the eighth highest paid college coach and earns $3,878,678 per year. Jay reportedly rejected UCLA's offer to double this salary. Is Wake really willing to compete at these levels? Wes Miller is looking better.

Highly doubt it....and yes, Wes Miller is looking better and personally, I'm fine with him.

Yes reading the disheartening story of how their search unfolded I fear Currie will be royally fucked next year when he is limited financially and there is a weaker pool of candidates: https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla/la-sp-ucla-mick-cronin-coaching-search-20190429-story.html

The story seems to be that Barnes was a dick. Neither Cal nor Wright were ever interested in UCLA.

We still have our three top replacements available- Shaka, Matta and Billy D.

Nothing to worry about other than another year of Danny.

On one hand, I’d love to have that kind of detail about prior Wake hoops coaching searches.

On the other hand, that info would probably be quite embarrassing.

Would love to know the 8 coaches that didn’t pass the UCLA “moral standards” test... Pitino? Pearl?

Last edited:

Apparently Wake isn't willing to compete at Wes Miller levels... Let alone higher.

On one hand, I’d love to have that kind of detail about prior Wake hoops coaching searches.

On the other hand, that info would probably be quite embarrassing.

Would love to know the 8 coaches that didn’t pass the “moral standards” test... Pitino? Pearl?

What moral standards test?

What moral standards test?

“Moral Standards” was my phrase choice for the below excerpt... Referring to the UCLA search, not Wake (sorry if confusing as posted).

Rebholz also described the school’s vetting of other candidates through the NCAA and an unnamed firm based in Atlanta. He said those efforts resulted in a list of coaches considered “untouchable” because of major NCAA violations, “infidelity, very low character, etc.”
Rebholz went on to name eight prominent coaches, “many of whom wanted our job, but we couldn’t hire knowing what we know due to properly vetting them out.”

Ok. I thought you were talking about Wake.

I don't think this tells us jack-squat about Wake's ability to hire a coach. All it really tells us is that UCLA fans and boosters are delusional. This is not new news.

The story seems to be that Barnes was a dick. Neither Cal nor Wright were ever interested in UCLA.

We still have our three top replacements available- Shaka, Matta and Billy D.

Nothing to worry about other than another year of Danny.
That last sentence is like saying besides AIDS your perfectly healthy.

the sentence before it is ludicrous horseshit

Even if they did double Wright's salary, they would still probably paying less dollars per win than we are paying for Manning. Definitely less if you weighted conference and postseason wins more.

Yeah, RJ's insistence that we're getting one of those three as our next coach is a little RJ-like.

We had a great chance at OCC though !

Back