• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Since soccer has replaced basketball for me...

1) Any update on our recruiting class?

2) Anyone enroll early?

WF announced the 2020 Spring Men's Soccer schedule:

Feb. 22 at North Carolina, 4 p.m.
March 1 vs. Duke 5 p.m.
March 7 at Clemson 11 a.m.
March 28 vs NC State 5 p.m.
Apr. 3 vs. Vaughan SC. 6 p.m.
Apr. 19 at Spry Soccer Stadium vs. TBA (Spring Soccer Cup)

The Spring Soccer Cup is explained as follows:
The Demon Deacons will host the third annual Spring Soccer Cup, featuring 10 of the elite programs in college soccer.

The event will be held on April 19, with all 10 schools coming to Winston-Salem for the final day of matches at Spry Stadium.

New to the Spring Soccer Cup this year are Maryland, NC State and James Madison. The 10 schools will be split into a North Division (Georgetown, Maryland, James Madison, Virginia, Virginia Tech) and a South Division (Clemson, Duke, NC State, North Carolina, Wake Forest).

Each program will play a round robin within its division throughout the spring season, which begins in late February. At the Spring Soccer Cup on April 19, the teams will play one playoff match against the coinciding seed from the opposite division.

Seems like the scope of the Spring Soccer season is growing. Perhaps, with more of a year-round program, to increase the attractiveness of the NCAA option for soccer players that are also considering a jump to professional level.

:eek:

WF announced the 2020 Spring Men's Soccer schedule:

Feb. 22 at North Carolina, 4 p.m.
March 1 vs. Duke 5 p.m.
March 7 at Clemson 11 a.m.
March 28 vs NC State 5 p.m.
Apr. 3 vs. Vaughan SC. 6 p.m.
Apr. 19 at Spry Soccer Stadium vs. TBA (Spring Soccer Cup)

The Spring Soccer Cup is explained as follows:
The Demon Deacons will host the third annual Spring Soccer Cup, featuring 10 of the elite programs in college soccer.

The event will be held on April 19, with all 10 schools coming to Winston-Salem for the final day of matches at Spry Stadium.

New to the Spring Soccer Cup this year are Maryland, NC State and James Madison. The 10 schools will be split into a North Division (Georgetown, Maryland, James Madison, Virginia, Virginia Tech) and a South Division (Clemson, Duke, NC State, North Carolina, Wake Forest).

Each program will play a round robin within its division throughout the spring season, which begins in late February. At the Spring Soccer Cup on April 19, the teams will play one playoff match against the coinciding seed from the opposite division.

Seems like the scope of the Spring Soccer season is growing. Perhaps, with more of a year-round program, to increase the attractiveness of the NCAA option for soccer players that are also considering a jump to professional level.

I know many of the NCAA coaches are interested in soccer occurring over an entire academic year - starting in the fall and NCAA championships in the spring. This would allow more time for rest and recovery between games, and the NCAA championships would avoid being played in the cold in December.

4-2 WF. Duke was up at halftime 2-0 with the ugliest boot and run soccer I have seen in a while. Both goals were deflection that GK Mcnally didnt really have a chance of stopping, overall he played well i thought especially with his first minutes in college. To be fair WF was playing very very shaky in the first half. They subbed out the RB at the tail end of the first half due to injury (friendly fire from a cleared ball to the face), and tried out two other people at right back. The pace they brought to the position helped i thought. It opened up space for our attackers to turn and run which they were having trouble with in the first. Overall the second half was a very good performance. Pannenberg also got subbed on at half. Otherwise a performance much like was seen towards the end of last season. CB's were good, both goals were more flukes than defensive breakdowns, with Benalcazar looking more comfortable on the ball. Parente was all over at times coming back to help get the ball out of the press. Chol is awesome and can 1v1 anyone in college, Harris played well but felt like he was locked down pretty well for most of the game.
Starters were I believe
Mcnally- (Pannenberg subbed at half)
Thomas(Carr and new freshman subbed at half)-Benalcazar-Deshields-Rula
Sazuki(MCcurley used plenty)
Hernandez-Parente
Machop-Holcomb-Harris

4-2 WF. Duke was up at halftime 2-0 with the ugliest boot and run soccer I have seen in a while. Both goals were deflection that GK Mcnally didnt really have a chance of stopping, overall he played well i thought especially with his first minutes in college. To be fair WF was playing very very shaky in the first half. They subbed out the RB at the tail end of the first half due to injury (friendly fire from a cleared ball to the face), and tried out two other people at right back. The pace they brought to the position helped i thought. It opened up space for our attackers to turn and run which they were having trouble with in the first. Overall the second half was a very good performance. Pannenberg also got subbed on at half. Otherwise a performance much like was seen towards the end of last season. CB's were good, both goals were more flukes than defensive breakdowns, with Benalcazar looking more comfortable on the ball. Parente was all over at times coming back to help get the ball out of the press. Chol is awesome and can 1v1 anyone in college, Harris played well but felt like he was locked down pretty well for most of the game.
Starters were I believe
Mcnally- (Pannenberg subbed at half)
Thomas(Carr and new freshman subbed at half)-Benalcazar-Deshields-Rula
Sazuki(MCcurley used plenty)
Hernandez-Parente
Machop-Holcomb-Harris

Thanks!

App State has cut their men’s soccer program. Really surprising, but we may begin to see others follow suit. We tend to see a good number of non-P5 soccer teams (esp in N.C.) has success, so let’s hope it is isolated.

Bruno Lapa has put two past Tim Howard in the Birmingham-Memphis USL match

Brandon Servania's younger brother also playing for Birmingham

kinda sad to watch Tim Howard out there with a bunch of kids trying to make it

Seems like we haven’t seen any pictures of Calvin Harris in training. Injured? Not cleared to travel? He has been featured on some of the team material.

Also, a 2022 Defender commit from NYCFC and the YNT, Cooper Flax.

Seems like we haven’t seen any pictures of Calvin Harris in training. Injured? Not cleared to travel? He has been featured on some of the team material.

The roster was recently updated and he's on the roster. So I guess that's a positive? Foreign players on US rosters must be in a tight spot right now...

In late July the ACC announced that in addition to men's and women's soccer would return with games beginning on September 7. That's less than two weeks away and no schedule has been announced.

In late July the ACC announced that in addition to men's and women's soccer would return with games beginning on September 7. That's less than two weeks away and no schedule has been announced.

Was that before or after the NCAA cancelled fall sports?

Was that before or after the NCAA cancelled fall sports?

The NCAA cancelled Fall Sports championships. I did not take that to mean that no Fall Sports could be played at all (e.g., the ACC teams could still play each other); perhaps, that is wrong.

The NCAA cancelled Fall Sports championships. I did not take that to mean that no Fall Sports could be played at all (e.g., the ACC teams could still play each other); perhaps, that is wrong.

Just drove my Kentner and the FH team was out practicing. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything but I’m assuming there are Fall seasons of some sort as of now.

Back