• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

They need to look outside the academy circuit. Too many pretty boys with pedigrees. Not a coincidence that the one we one was because a kid took 18 stitches to the face. Tired of watching pretty boys get pushed around or not adapting to the cold

I think that the lack of a consistent scorer was what really did us in at the end of this year. That and luck on UVA's part. Those goals don't happen every day and we were on the unlucky side of them. A true show stopping forward on this team would have won the tournament in my opinion. Now time to reload with basically all starters coming back expect for Johnston(replaced by Carr) and Lapa(replaced by Zarris/Hernandez) I think there is a super-strong chance Wake could start next year ranked top 3. Does anyone have any shouts for pre-season all Americans? Is that a thing in college soccer?

BTW Calvin Harris, and Omar Hernandez the two forward freshmen who played a lot of the year are not from the USSDA. And the one freshman from the DA who played a lot this year Nico Benalcazar seems to be doing ok, so it seems both avenues are very much being used and neither appears to be getting "pushed around" all that much in my opinion.

Last edited:
Chol developed into perhaps our best player and definitely one of the top few in this tourney. Any chance he returns next year?

Nice to see Hoyas come back after getting down to Hoos. One of the better set piece goals for hoyas to take lead. Hoping they can hold on.

UVa ties it at 3 with ~4 mins in regulation.

OT

Nice to see UVa lose but we ARE their beyotch. Hopefully we change that next season

PKs is a crappy way to decide a national champion. But damn, six goals in regulation is strong.

Chol developed into perhaps our best player and definitely one of the top few in this tourney. Any chance he returns next year?

Unless he signs a HGP with Atlanta, I would expect him to be back next season. I'm not sure I saw him as the dominant force that you did. He seemed to certainly get better as the year progressed. He still needs to show he can convert at a high rate and either play possession with some physicality or defend with some consistency if he's going to play a winger role in the pros.

They need to look outside the academy circuit. Too many pretty boys with pedigrees. Not a coincidence that the one we one was because a kid took 18 stitches to the face. Tired of watching pretty boys get pushed around or not adapting to the cold

Jules was from the U-17 residency camp at Bradenton which was where a lot of the "pretty boys" went before the academies started booming.

But he was awesome, and we could use some players like that for sure. They just come from all sorts of different places, including academies.

Vidovich made two of the ballsiest calls that season, one -- moving Phelan to midfield and bringing in Opara to start along Valentin -- probably won us the Natty; the other - benching a healthy Valentin second half against BC for some reason (he wasn't playing well, but we weren't as a team and BC was nasty that year) - might have cost us the ACC championship. BC was really, really good that year though, so might have won anyway.

Last edited:
When is the time that college soccer players "declare" to leave college and enter the pros?

Unless he signs a HGP with Atlanta, I would expect him to be back next season. I'm not sure I saw him as the dominant force that you did. He seemed to certainly get better as the year progressed. He still needs to show he can convert at a high rate and either play possession with some physicality or defend with some consistency if he's going to play a winger role in the pros.

he also needs to tighten up his dribbling

Sorry if this has been posted in this thread already, does anybody know where to get a wake kids soccer jersey? Tried both soccer stores in winston and hanes mall deaconshop and no luck. Thanks

What are the expectations for our players wrt professional soccer next season?

Back