• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

We did not create many chances. It feels like we are 5% short of the talent needed to run the system.

More than 5%. UVA is likely the favorite for the NCAAs. Their defense was smothering in the first half. Bell is an exceptional DM.

We cannot simply rely on an individual display of talent to score in any given match. We had a couple of good moments of link up play, but all too often hoping one player beats 1-2 guys and creates an opportunity out of little. It’s time for Lapa to step up and take over a game and make the players around him better when the NCAAs start.

First half can’t be repeated from here on out.

We are not going anywhere deep. Very much appreciate all the past success, but this is a down year. This team lost to James Madison, B.C. and N.D.....and tied Loyola Maryland. A first or second round loss wouldn't surprise me, but it would be nice to make it to a high ranked team before we're bumped.

Do we ever beat UVa when we aren’t the clearly superior team? Even then it is usually a struggle.

Hopefully this team can put together a run in the NCAAs. If not, Muuss is going to be over 80 wins in 5 years with just 1 College Cup. Disappointing even with the 2 ACCTs.

I hope Mcmaster is ok, or else this team is sunk. The only bright spot I saw today was Benalcazar coming in and becoming one of the main distributors on the field. I hope he starts in the NCAA tournament over Thomas. Overall, a close game that was decided by a good player putting away a good chance. I agree our offense needs a certain something to unlock it and I fear there is no answer on the roster. Hernandez also had a good shift today. Harris was lacking in his performance against a top defense; he, Chol, and Mcmaster like running past players and Virginia were fast and skillful enough to neutralize that threat. This showed especially with the completely hamstrung wing play we're accustomed to. Take a nice break, recover, and reload because this team needs to show better if it wants to make an impact in the NCAA tournament.

When the NCAA Bracket is announced, fully expect Stanford to be in WF's quarter of the bracket.

realizing that in a low scoring sport with a single-elimination tournament a lot of weird stuff happens, but this year's team is defs the weakest I can remember in a long while

still a top ten team, which speaks to the power of the program, but don't think they have the firepower to make a deep run

Speaking of firepower, Wake picked up a commit yesterday from New Zealand's U20 and Vancouver Whitecaps, Thomas Raimbault. Seems like a pretty big time forward commit.

We continue to get knocked off the ball in big games. Need more strength and grit.

I've noticed, similar in fb and some in bball, we are decidedly smaller across the board vs most top ranked schools. I remember how small we looked to Indiana in the playoffs at home one year....and lost....IIRC.

Dezart and Deshields both selected for the All-ACC Tournament team. A little surprised those two were selected, Dezart I suppose with the very nice goal and a good shift in both games. Deshields had a poor game (own goal, gave up foul causing the second goal) against VT, and a very average game against Virginia I thought. Still obviously happy to have WF representation.

Selection show is at 1:00 PM today.

If I recall, the ACC had 8 teams make the tournament this year. After Clemson and Wake, it's a crap shoot. I'd think that 6 teams from the ACC will get in. Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh were the only other teams most recently ranked followed. I certainly think Pitt punched their ticket by making the semis of the ACC. It will be interesting as it always is as to who the committee bases RPI entrances in possibly more than results. Notre Dame and and Louisville had higher RPIs than NC State, but NC State finished better in conference. VT had some awful conference results, but have played a hard schedule. I think UNC is out based on the tournament result.

If I had to guess, it'd be: UVA, Clemson, Wake, Pitt, VT, and NC State (over Notre Dame). It'll be interesting to see how they fall. I predict we'll be the 5th seed and be in SMU's bracket.

Selection show is at 1:00 PM today.

If I recall, the ACC had 8 teams make the tournament this year. After Clemson and Wake, it's a crap shoot. I'd think that 6 teams from the ACC will get in. Virginia Tech and Pittsburgh were the only other teams most recently ranked followed. I certainly think Pitt punched their ticket by making the semis of the ACC. It will be interesting as it always is as to who the committee bases RPI entrances in possibly more than results. Notre Dame and and Louisville had higher RPIs than NC State, but NC State finished better in conference. VT had some awful conference results, but have played a hard schedule. I think UNC is out based on the tournament result.

If I had to guess, it'd be: UVA, Clemson, Wake, Pitt, VT, and NC State (over Notre Dame). It'll be interesting to see how they fall. I predict we'll be the 5th seed and be in SMU's bracket.

Do you know what channel?

With the Final 4 being in North Carolina this year, if Wake can make it there, I think the fan support could bring home a championship trophy.

Back