• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

BC not playing this Fall.

The ACC is still developing the fall schedule for soccer. Would think the plan would be to minimize travel; so, taking BC out of the mix is probably helpful (except for Syracuse).

2020 is the 40th anniversary of the Wake Forest Men’s Soccer program. For those of us who showed up on campus as part of that first team in August 1980, it is so gratifying and exciting to see the state of the program today. Those of you who are supporters will likely hear quite a bit about the program’s history in the coming months as there are plans to celebrate the 40 years of Wake soccer. Unfortunately the celebration can’t be in person, but there should be plenty of virtual/social media items and events to mark the anniversary.

2020 is the 40th anniversary of the Wake Forest Men’s Soccer program. For those of us who showed up on campus as part of that first team in August 1980, it is so gratifying and exciting to see the state of the program today. Those of you who are supporters will likely hear quite a bit about the program’s history in the coming months as there are plans to celebrate the 40 years of Wake soccer. Unfortunately the celebration can’t be in person, but there should be plenty of virtual/social media items and events to mark the anniversary.

Great post. I saw they did a piece on Mark Erwin and mentioned there would be more throughout the season. Obviously, anyone who follows Wake soccer should know Mark Erwin and what he did on the soccer field at Wake and in his career afterwards, but I think it will be awesome to hear about some of the other players who laid the groundwork on that first season.

There’s a new piece out there on Stef Hamilton - Currie retweeted it either today or yesterday. It’s about how Stef’s giving back through his leadership of Triad Elite soccer club ties back to the opportunity afforded him by Wake Forest and the soccer program. Proud to say that these guys are my boys...I wouldn’t trade that 4 year experience for anything.

Last edited:

George Kennedy, the first coach at Wake, was my coach for classic soccer in the early 90s. He was a hell of a nice guy, great coach, and a really entertaining eccentric. He had great success coaching at Western Guilford High School. One thing I loved about him was that he never made us do fitness drills. He said it was a waste of his coaching time and if we couldn’t get in shape on our own we wouldn’t play. It felt good being treated like we had some maturity. Sadly, George passed away a few years ago. He told me about how he had to build a playing field from scratch on Polo Rd (where the practice fields are now). I would love to hear any stories you could share about Coach Kennedy. https://www.google.com/amp/s/journa...ac00617d-5ec6-5e71-a04a-2935a3d7aad1.amp.html

Anyone have any insight into starting lineup? Anyone going to the game?

Its on the ESPN app, but im 99% sure it requires access to the ACC Network through some cable provider

Ooof. Looks like DeShields is down and needing medical assistance. It appeared that he sustained a bad concussion after running head first into Pitt’s #9.

Ooof. Looks like DeShields is down and needing medical assistance. It appeared that he sustained a bad concussion after running head first into Pitt’s #9.

Yep. Just a freak play. Got sandwiched between goalie and Pitt’s attacker. Carted off on stretcher obviously out of concern for possible neck injury.

DeShields stretchered off. He was placed in a neck brace; gave a thumbs up but didn’t see any real lower body movement. Best case is hopefully just a stinger or concussion.

On the broadcast you saw him with his knees bent and rocking them slightly at one point, so im hoping for the best! Hopefully just overly precautious and a mild concussion or neck bruise

Clemson has requested our Friday night game be postponed, which I can only imagine is COVID related. Our first game won't be until the following Friday at Louisville.

I'll hopefully post some thoughts on the Pitt exhibition with XI and players to watch later tonight.

I didn't see that they requested, I saw that they cancelled all sporting events this week other than football due to outbreaks with teams related to COVID. Which is just great since they left quarantined football members at home, but still decided to bring over 100 players, staff, and AD members up to Winston to play a football game Saturday after announcing all this information (including football related infections) on Friday. Fucking joke.

Back