• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Forecast is for mid-40s and rain on Friday night.

Sunday is better at 56 and sunny, but the game doesn't start till 6 PM.

Gotcha. What do you think has caused this downturn? Is it lack of cohesion? Any of the players in general? or just the setup? Do we think any freshman coming in next year will be able to help? That last question is in regards to any position on the field. I feel like Johnston will be the hardest hole to fill on the team as of this moment as far as seniors go, not sure if any underclassmen plan on leaving early. Full backs are always hard to come by.

I'd say the second center back position has been probably the biggest "problem" (we really shouldn't be calling it that but whatever), along with a lack of Brad Dunwell at CDM. Deshields has been spectacular, Johnston has been really good, and between Folds/Rula we've been fine at the other outside back position. Koby Carr next year will probably take Johnston's spot, I'm excited for him to return from injury.

Benalcazar was hurt a significant portion of this year if I remember correctly, but he seems to be settled in now. I really think its just that between Sam Raben, Kevin Politz, Mark Mckenzie, and Michael Deshields you probably have 95% (100%?) of the minutes at CB for Muuss until this season, and now we only have one of those 4. That's some really great talent to try to replace, and Raben's departure opened a hole there that I don't think has been quite filled. I think we're in more than fine shape, but will be worried if Deshields moves on after this year.

I can't speak at all to what we have in the incoming recruiting class, but would imagine it's top 5 rated again.

Gonna be a tough game, but I think this team has enough grit to pull out a win. I don't think were gonna run away with this game, but as long as we play good soccer, this game can be won.

Bruno was named first team All AA for two times. Only one other Deac has done that. Name him.

I’m more surprised we have had only had one previously.

Bone did it in 08 and 09, I’m like 90% sure.

The 08 team had three first teamers: Cronin, Bone, and the Hermann trophy winner, Tracy

Weather looks positively horrendous here in the Triangle today. High of 48 and constant rain all day long.

Weather looks positively horrendous here in the Triangle today. High of 48 and constant rain all day long.

Any chance they postpone? I am not sure what the criteria is, but up to 2 inches of rain today seems like a turf nightmare, and the ball will just sit in a puddle. I am NOT a soccer guy, so have no idea what the criteria would be.

Probably only for lightning. I've played on turf a number of times with that kind of rain and even on a local park field turf field, the water all drains off pretty quickly. If there's any standing water, I'd be surprised.

I remember when we beat Ohio State in the finals the wind was so bad that it was pretty much impossible to score going against the wind

are there just not enough decent soccer venues in places like Southern California and South Florida? Seems like the College Cup is always in cold places.

Good. I'm cool with mucking it up with UVA. Let's try and frustrate the hell out of them.

GAMEDAY. LET'S GO!

Probably only for lightning. I've played on turf a number of times with that kind of rain and even on a local park field turf field, the water all drains off pretty quickly. If there's any standing water, I'd be surprised.

yeah, artificial fields don't typically collect areas with puddles of water

big test will be the ball skipping coming out of the sky or worm burner/low shots on goal -- nightmare for keepers on wet turf.

Getting some good vibes going by watching old WF soccer videos

Back