• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Great post overall. But...is anyone really suggesting Muuss' job could be in jeopardy?? Even berness?

Of course I am not suggesting Muuss be let go. He has been here 6 years and done remarkably well. As someone else mentioned, he needs to recruit some tough guys on the backliine. Jay learned that lesson and won a natty because of that, Muuss needs to follow Jay's example. Without the tough guys, I doubt that he will win a natty.

Of course I am not suggesting Muuss be let go. He has been here 6 years and done remarkably well. As someone else mentioned, he needs to recruit some tough guys on the backliine. Jay learned that lesson and won a natty because of that, Muuss needs to follow Jay's example. Without the tough guys, I doubt that he will win a natty.

I will very comfortably bet that if Bobby stays as long as Jay (19 seasons total, so 13 more seasons) he will win at least one Natty, and I think it's quite likely he wins more than that. It's good to remember that we already nearly won one under him; losing in penalties in the final is as close as you can come.

Not only losing on PK but literally having the winning PK on your foot. Ugh. That one hurt.

59a16e0529847.image.jpg

Prior to Covid there was a movement to extend the season to the Spring every year. Did that happen? Might it still? If it does might we not find ourselves in the same situation every year losing a good portion of our roster in December? That rule would really hurt our chances. (Unless MLS could finally line their season up with Europe).

Why did we lose 10 guys in December? Two went pro, so understand that, were not some of the other 8 eligible to return?

More than two went pro. IIRC, 4 players were drafted and at least two others signed "homegrown" contracts with MLS teams.

Last edited:
From the fall to the spring our starting GK, CB, CM, and 3 attackers (Panenberg, Deshields, Parente, Chol, Mcmaster, Harris) went to the MLS. That's over half of the starting lineup, and really the most important players on the team. Anyone even implying that what happened this spring was disappointing doesn't know what they are talking about frankly, which has already been said but I think really needs to be emphasized.

What happened with the other 4 of the 10 that left? Graduate early, transfer portal? Is there a transfer portal for soccer?

What happened with the other 4 of the 10 that left? Graduate early, transfer portal? Is there a transfer portal for soccer?

On the UNC/WF broadcast, the announcer mentioned that at least one member of the team graduated after the Fall Semester.

On the UNC/WF broadcast, the announcer mentioned that at least one member of the team graduated after the Fall Semester.

I think a lot of the soccer guys greyshirt or enroll early. Gives them a spring season and a summer working camp or whatever to settle.

So technically they wouldn't be graduating early but on time

Some players just want to move on to the next chapter. Dom Peters (GK) likely wasn’t going to see much action and graduated in December. Ty Moore (Def) in a similar situation in that I believe he was graduating and hadn’t seen many minutes. Kyle McCurly had graduated and transferred to play at Wisconsin while playing as a grad student. Most of these guys were celebrated on senior day if I recall.

Fayettenam....I think Zarris was on the roster all year (never played), but coming off a significant injury. Any word on his status? I seem to recall he contributed immediately as a freshman.

Marshall beat UNC and will play for the national title

Apparently Marshall had one shot on goal. But, they made it count

Tough loss for Pitt against the Hoosiers. Finals tonight at 8:00 pm.

Back