• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Amazing run by Marshall.

They started the Spring season with a tie against a school named Ohio Valley. Marshall played one top 10 ranked team heading into the tournament, losing to Akron. Marshall qualfied for the tourney by winning C-USA, which is not considered a high-end soccer conference. In the NCAA opening round, Marshall scraped by Fordham in OT. They then beat #1 Clemson on PKs, and then edged both G'town and UNC 1-0. Got to believe Marshall was among the lowest rated teams in the NCAA field when the tourney started. Roughly equivalent to Ohio U or Utah State playing in the NCAA basketball tournament National Championship game.

To be fair, Clemson, Gtown, had something like three players each go on to professional soccer in between fall/spring. 100% Marshall has made the most of their chances and deserve to be in the final. But there should be an annotation explaining the circumstances. WF from the fall, would have in my opinion made mincemeat of any tournament had the roster been healthy. Spring WF managed to make it the whole season undefeated, while not having their best (available) starting 11 for any game this spring, injuries to Escribano, Tubbs, Suzuki, Forbes, Rula, Swallen. Hats off to Muuss, and the captains Benalcazar and Holcomb for leading this team to a far higher level than most would have expected.

Biggest thing that needs to change for this fall, the offense needs to have more desire to put the ball in the net. This happens with possession teams sometimes, where the desire to possess outweighs the desire to score and too often they find themselves looking to pass it into the net. Most of the best goals from this spring came from individual moments of skill/luck, from very low percentage areas, and this was less the system and more the individual player. We need a better killer instinct in the final third imo.

Amazing run by Marshall.

They started the Spring season with a tie against a school named Ohio Valley. Marshall played one top 10 ranked team heading into the tournament, losing to Akron. Marshall qualfied for the tourney by winning C-USA, which is not considered a high-end soccer conference. In the NCAA opening round, Marshall scraped by Fordham in OT. They then beat #1 Clemson on PKs, and then edged both G'town and UNC 1-0. Got to believe Marshall was among the lowest rated teams in the NCAA field when the tourney started. Roughly equivalent to Ohio U or Utah State playing in the NCAA basketball tournament National Championship game.

National champs. God hates Wake Forest

Marshall's GW goal was scored by Jamil Roberts, who was drafted late in the 3rd round of the 2021 MLS draft

FWIW, UNC had two late MLS draft picks who elected to finish their season at UNC and who played in the NCAA tournament - one of them, Montesdeoca, scored the first goal against WF

Marshall just pulled a 2004 Greece.

In terms of coming out of nowhere, yes. In terms of style of play, not at all. Marshall was on the ball most of the game while my Hoosiers sat back Jose style and tried to counter. Marshall was just better.

Any predictions on when the fall soccer schedule will be posted? If I remember right it's usually in May June right? Obviously a very different year but curious if anyone knows anything more specific

Topdrawer Postseason rankings
Benalcazar (2nd Team Best XI)
Holcomb (3rd Team Best XI)
Tubbs (1st Team Best Freshman XI)
had to be on the roster at the end of the season to be eligible. IMO Forbes should have gotten onto one of the freshman teams.

Roald Mitchell (NYRB2) is currently on ESPN+. Let me just say, this dude looks like an MLS caliber player skillfully and physically already. Let’s get this dude on campus.

Katie Stengel has signed with Liverpool. While they currently sit in the championship league, still a very impressive move.

I mean, how many guys drafted in the 3rd round ever make it?

9 teams passed on even making a third round pick

Holland... had a fairly disappointing season last year (love him, but whatever injury he took early on seemed to linger), and we're unequivocally stacked at outside back (Hosei, Forbes, Escribano back, Mancilla impressed me, not to mention Tubbs was fantastic there but will likely be moving to CB), so while I appreciate his four years, I think it's time for him.

Nico was unexpected, but he deserves it. He was out best player last year, and even though he doesn't profile physically as a top flight CB (he's short), he's got potential in a number of other ways (outside back or holding mid, I'd guess). I think the plan this year was to get him some time at outside back, but the Tubbs-Amponsah pairing didn't mesh the way Bobby liked. Losing Nico is a big, big loss... our defense was somewhat porous last year, and we just removed our most talented player (and organizational leader) from it.

Back