• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

Missed the game last night so I watched the replay today. Clemson really should have put us away. They had some golden chances. We kept our composure nicely and put pressure on them late. Their only answer for Chol was offside trap. Otherwise they couldn't contain him. Their keeper had a nightmare last few min. Granted, our tying goal in regulation was really tough for him to get down and get hands to. But he could have done better. The foul to give us a PK was just sloppy.

We'll take it. Good win for Deacs.

Missed the game last night so I watched the replay today. Clemson really should have put us away. They had some golden chances. We kept our composure nicely and put pressure on them late. Their only answer for Chol was offside trap. Otherwise they couldn't contain him. Their keeper had a nightmare last few min. Granted, our tying goal in regulation was really tough for him to get down and get hands to. But he could have done better. The foul to give us a PK was just sloppy.

We'll take it. Good win for Deacs.

This is so true, especially considering our two CB's weren't able to be in the game. I am constantly impressed by McMaster's ability to drag defenders wherever he wants. Chol has been able to use his ability/ridiculously long legs to absolutely destroy defenders 1v1 and it has been directly linked to at least 3-4 goals this year. Crappy game by WF, but good teams win crappy games sometimes. This should be a good jumping point into a good second half of the season.

Seems like we lose our top commits to Germany every couple of years, which was happened with the 2020 class as well. Bryang Kayo has opted to play USL2 until he can move to Wolfsburg next summer. Big loss, but we had secured a commit from Critian Escribano. He plays RB or on the wide mid. I think he's Madrid born, but he currently plays for FC Dallas.

Very bad loss at BC. Back 4 were questionable throughout the night. Missing two starters back there, so somewhat understandable. It seems like even midway through the season we are still trying to figure out our best mids and forwards, which I don’t mind us testing different rotations here and there.

They have gotten very little this season from expected major contributors Zarris and Lapa. Almost all the offense is coming through McMaster and Chol. Harris has been a non factor since early in the season. Injuries on defense now threatening their ability to win despite their lack of offense. Not looking promising for a memorable season unless they figure some things out.

Well, we've done the kick ass during the regular season and then fizzle in postseason thing - so maybe this season will be the other way.

The Deacs just destroyed a decent High Point team 5-0.

So Wake found some scorers for one game!

2 were PKs. 2 were bangers. 1 was a solid shot.

Folds and Thomas as the two CBs currently is not a perfect fit. However, the front three of McMaster, Chol, and Harris seems to be our most creative and effective front three. Much of them being able to play at their level and pace requires Lapa to get back to the level he was performing at last season. I'm not sure if they're purposefully pressing him all game, but that seems to be what teams are doing to limit him production. If that continues, Parente has to be ready to create. Johnston continues to have a solid season at his newish position. Need the injuries to heal and hopefully this scoring trend continues.

Hopefully, if the team keeps up that type of offense we will be able to go far into the postseason. It was nice to finally see some offensive firepower from a very talented front line. Is Thomas now the first choice CB? I know there were injuries, but I saw he has started the past couple of games. I have seen him be a bit shaky at times, but the Folds/Rula battle has been good at LB though, that has been a battle for minutes all year.

Great last twenty minutes. Lapa stepping up after a slow start to the season

Yep. Lapa was great. I think with the way Parente has been playing has allowed Lapa to get a little more loose. Solid performance on the road tonight. Wake fans showing up wherever. Amazing.

Wake blanked W&M 5-0 with Lapa, Holcomb (2), Harris, and Benalcazar getting on the score sheet. Benalcazar came in with 30 minutes left in the game to gain fitness following his absence. 3-0 by the half. 2nd half was mostly subs playing with starters getting a little run throughout. Team looks like they are firing on all cylinders, hope this will translate into the ACC opponents coming.up

Back