• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020-21 WF Men's Soccer Thread - Yes, there is a Fall and Spring Soccer Season

8:30 in Cary on Friday night is tough but I will def be there if we make it to Sunday. Go Deacs!!

Isn't UVA and Stanford our nemesis in soccer?

Weakest I’m not so sure. Based on skill and size, possibly. But they’re gritty. They grounded out that win. I can’t hate on a team that finds a way to win and defend the lead like that. Maybe not the prettiest, but our prettiest had missed out on the Final 4 before.

I’d argue that this is clearly the least talented team of the Muuss era, which shouldn’t be a knock against them.

This is the worst defense of that time period other than maybe 2015, but a lot of those D’s were anchored by Politz, Raben, Gdula, and Ferrell/Mundet, which is ridiculous talent to consistently expect. Deshields has been fantastic this year, and Pannenberg is solid, but the rest of the D is unspectacular and the goals against shows that.

The midfield has similar talent as previous years with Parente and Lapa, but I think we miss Dunwell a lot. He was a guy we could always lean on to control possession from the back, which he excelled at. Dezart is a capable CDM for sure, but Dunwell just gave us so much stability.

The attacking this year is interesting. I think it’s deeper than we’ve ever been, but doesn’t have that one stud goalscorer. It was Fernandez last year, Bakero before him, and Gamble/Harrison before that. The depth is nice, but I think the lack of one surefire goalscorer leads to Lapa trying to do too much alone.

I definitely hope I’m wrong, but I’m not optimistic about the Final Four game against UVA after watching our game against them in the ACC tourney. Also, I don’t want to sound like I’m talking negatively about this year’s team, because this is a hell of a college soccer team, but Muuss’ previous squads have set the bar incredibly high regarding level of play regardless of the lack of national championships.

I don't know anything about soccer except that you score points by putting the ball in the goal. I know the College Cup is equivalent to the Final Four so this is a very successful season regardless of the teams strengths and weaknesses. I do know that Virginia and Stanford have both been a persistent nemesis over the years and that the Deacs will likely need to beat both to win the National Championship. At present this is one of the six best teams in the history of Wake soccer. One more win and they become one of the three best teams in Wake history. Two more wins and this will be the best team to represent Wake Forest since 2007, probably the best considering the opponents they must defeat. Go Deacs!

It's very exciting. Really cool that we're consistently a national powerhouse. Fear the Deacs! Cuz you'd better ...

Was out yesterday evening during the game, and got home to find out that both UVa and Stanford would be in Cary as well, because of course they are. I am assuming that Stanford plays the way they always do, which is to kick anything that moves while making the game as devoid of joy as possible.

Six Final Fours since 2006 is quite an accomplishment.

I’d argue that this is clearly the least talented team of the Muuss era, which shouldn’t be a knock against them.

This is the worst defense of that time period other than maybe 2015, but a lot of those D’s were anchored by Politz, Raben, Gdula, and Ferrell/Mundet, which is ridiculous talent to consistently expect. Deshields has been fantastic this year, and Pannenberg is solid, but the rest of the D is unspectacular and the goals against shows that.

The midfield has similar talent as previous years with Parente and Lapa, but I think we miss Dunwell a lot. He was a guy we could always lean on to control possession from the back, which he excelled at. Dezart is a capable CDM for sure, but Dunwell just gave us so much stability.

The attacking this year is interesting. I think it’s deeper than we’ve ever been, but doesn’t have that one stud goalscorer. It was Fernandez last year, Bakero before him, and Gamble/Harrison before that. The depth is nice, but I think the lack of one surefire goalscorer leads to Lapa trying to do too much alone.

I definitely hope I’m wrong, but I’m not optimistic about the Final Four game against UVA after watching our game against them in the ACC tourney. Also, I don’t want to sound like I’m talking negatively about this year’s team, because this is a hell of a college soccer team, but Muuss’ previous squads have set the bar incredibly high regarding level of play regardless of the lack of national championships.

Has the defense been that bad this year? I think its been pretty solid in general having one of the lowest goals against in the nation (10th), obviously in part due to Pannenberg but I mean that's what a goalie does. Rula-Deshields-Benalcazar-Johnston in the playoffs especially have been super solid in my opinion. I agree our midfield is lead by Parente. The offense has been the key to taking this team from good to great all year, and definitely are missing that one MVP level player. Chol and Mcmaster have especially stepped up this year in my opinion and I like that a goal can come from anywhere which makes keying in harder for the opposition (obviously sometimes no one hits, which is not good, and we need the LB to make an absurd play, and that's not great as a team but I can't be mad at them grinding out a victory).

Has the defense been that bad this year?.

No, it hasn’t. This is an exceptional soccer team and defense. Me saying its one of the worst of the Muuss era is not meant as a knock on them. But from the eye test it seems as though we are a bit shakier on defense, and giving up more opportunities at goal for opponents. Michigan game would support that.

Statswise we have a goals against average of 0.71 this year, which is very good, but up from previous years somewhat. This is a good team that I’m very excited to watch this weekend, and I only said what I did comparing to previous teams for discussion purposes. It really doesn’t mean this team can or can’t win a championship, because they aren’t playing against the previous Wake teams I’m talking about.

The back line is not as good; however, I think Pannenberg is significantly better than the Spaniard.

No, it hasn’t. This is an exceptional soccer team and defense. Me saying its one of the worst of the Muuss era is not meant as a knock on them. But from the eye test it seems as though we are a bit shakier on defense, and giving up more opportunities at goal for opponents. Michigan game would support that.

Statswise we have a goals against average of 0.71 this year, which is very good, but up from previous years somewhat. This is a good team that I’m very excited to watch this weekend, and I only said what I did comparing to previous teams for discussion purposes. It really doesn’t mean this team can or can’t win a championship, because they aren’t playing against the previous Wake teams I’m talking about.

Gotcha. What do you think has caused this downturn? Is it lack of cohesion? Any of the players in general? or just the setup? Do we think any freshman coming in next year will be able to help? That last question is in regards to any position on the field. I feel like Johnston will be the hardest hole to fill on the team as of this moment as far as seniors go, not sure if any underclassmen plan on leaving early. Full backs are always hard to come by.

Koby Carr played quite a bit last year as a freshman and was very highly rated in HS. Haven't seen him play all year (although I haven't seen every game). I presume he's injured...

Isn't UVA the #1 overall seed? Wake owes them one from a few years ago in the semis when we were the #1 seed.

I don't know anything about soccer except that you score points by putting the ball in the goal. I know the College Cup is equivalent to the Final Four so this is a very successful season regardless of the teams strengths and weaknesses. I do know that Virginia and Stanford have both been a persistent nemesis over the years and that the Deacs will likely need to beat both to win the National Championship. At present this is one of the six best teams in the history of Wake soccer. One more win and they become one of the three best teams in Wake history. Two more wins and this will be the best team to represent Wake Forest since 2007, probably the best considering the opponents they must defeat. Go Deacs!

UVa is an absolute juggernaut this season. Daryl Dike up top is a beast. He may not always be able to direct a shot on goal, but his frame and speed creates such a mismatch for defenses. He's drawn a handful of PKs as players can only foul him instead of stopping him. Joe Bell might be playing the best soccer in the country right now. UVa beat Clemson in the ACC finals without Bell who was playing for his national team.

This one is going to be a dogfight, and we need to make sure not to concede early and start scrambling. They don't give up many goals, so we need to finish the chances we create.

UVA has played 22 games (20-1-1), and they have 15 shutouts, including 1-0 over WF in the ACC Tourney. That said, in the NCAA quarters, SMU scored twice on UVA and took the Hoos to OT.

To be fair, SMU had the highest scoring offense in the country this season I believe.

UVA has played 22 games (20-1-1), and they have 15 shutouts, including 1-0 over WF in the ACC Tourney. That said, in the NCAA quarters, SMU scored twice on UVA and took the Hoos to OT.

UVA outshot WF 9-5 and had 4 to 1 shots on goal @ UVA. Home field is big for soccer so you would think we should be more even this game, but Bell did miss our ACC tourney match so he would be a wildcard.

Think it will be a nailbiter and wouldn't be surprised if PKs came into play.

Back