• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant basketball coach

A crony, a relative, or an ex team manager, which will it be? Can't wait to find out.

Props to Les for putting this out there several days ago.

Won a lot more games as a head coach than Danny has.

Seems like a very solid hire to me. Natural fit for an interim HC position too.

Good hire all things considered. He has more head coaching experience than the rest of the staff combined. His Kansas background (teammate of Steve Woodberry) gives him a common ground with the present staff. Importantly, he has a defensive plan of attack and the knowledge of the player fundamentals that make the plan successful.

Good hire all things considered. He has more head coaching experience than the rest of the staff combined. His Kansas background (teammate of Steve Woodberry) gives him a common ground with the present staff. Importantly, he has a defensive plan of attack and the knowledge of the player fundamentals that make the plan successful.

What would that be? He was a head coach for 10 years and every team he had was poor defensively. Kyle Smith took over SF and had the 59th rated defense in year one. Please share details because on paper, teaching defense doesn’t seem to be a part of his approach to the game.

What would that be? He was a head coach for 10 years and every team he had was poor defensively. Kyle Smith took over SF and had the 59th rated defense in year one. Please share details because on paper, teaching defense doesn’t seem to be a part of his approach to the game.

It’s the Kansas way. Talk about defense but don’t put your money where your mouth is.

He spent two years as an assistant to Stan Van Gundy and the Detroit Pistons. Van Gundy uses a Preparation for all Offensive Actions system. Apparently a detailed defensive system. Go to the 247 board, select the Breaking: Rex Walters thread, and use the link provided by CaryDeac for details. You're welcome.

Hard to believe it could be worse than what we have watched for the past nine years.

You also seem to be under the impression that Coach Manning gives a shit what any of his assistants suggest or think. There has been no approach to coaching defense thus far and that includes the years under defensive guru [Redacted]. I have doubts that adding Rex Walters will suddenly break that trend.

I remember this dude from his playing days at KU. Wasn't he on the KU team that beat Wake in the round of 32 in '93 or thereabouts?

Seems like he had San Fran on an upward trajectory but never got over the hump.

On balance I like this pickup. He has plenty of HC experience. As we all know, this is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic anyway.

I just don’t feel confident that a single season with Van Gundy made him into a defensive guru.

I just don’t feel confident that a single season with Van Gundy made him into a defensive guru.

Seriously. Never understood the assumption that working for a coach means someone is an expert in that coach’s philosophy or that he uses said philosophy. It’s especially weird to believe that with evidence pointing otherwise.

That said, seems like a good hire. He’s probably a better head coach than Manning. I was hoping for a promising assistant on his way up (sadly like Jones) or someone looking for a way back up the ladder. We got the latter. I was worried we’d just hire Justin Gray.

You also seem to be under the impression that Coach Manning gives a shit what any of his assistants suggest or think. There has been no approach to coaching defense thus far and that includes the years under defensive guru [Redacted]. I have doubts that adding Rex Walters will suddenly break that trend.

Why doubt? It won't. The only change to Manning's approach to coaching was periodically using a zone defense this past season. At least, when (if) Manning mutters "anyone have a clue how to stop the opponent from scoring at will?" someone on the staff can say yes rather than look clueless.

Back