• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Assistant basketball coach

loyal2afault

Reaction score
Are we seriously in the market for someone to replace Jamil Jones (or not)?

While Justin Bauman got a "field promotion" to pseudoassistant coach when all the unfortunate NYC events went down, I believe we need someone more experienced with demonstrated expertise on teaching individual/team defense if we have any chance to escape our decades-long losing doldrums.

Unfortunately will likely be hard to recruit a quality assistant given Manatee's scorching hot seat with a new AD who did not hire him.

Any rumblings/rumors on the street about this?

On the surface you would think it would be next to impossible to hire a quality assistant. On the other hand my speculation is that assistants are not generally hired based on their resume— it’s a good old boy’s club—it’s who you know. Having worked for a well known ( and apparently well liked) guy like Manning might be a benefit for a young guy.

ACC assistant jobs are still a big step up for a lot of coaches.

ACC assistant jobs are still a big step up for a lot of coaches.

Yes. There are lots of assistant coaches who would take a year at Wake. Just not sign more than a 1 year lease on a place to live.

Since we seem to be operating on nepotism (two Mannings; two Childresses), does anyone on the staff have a 2nd or 3rd cousin who's at least held a basketball for a couple of minutes? Could be a winner.

Since we seem to be operating on nepotism (two Mannings; two Childresses), does anyone on the staff have a 2nd or 3rd cousin who's at least held a basketball for a couple of minutes? Could be a winner.

Wellman looking for something to do, lets lock him up

Really love the racist tag. Out yourself for some trump rep.

Wellman blew it by not bringing on Jay Bilas as an assistant. Danny could have given him the radio show as his chief duty. That would have been entertaining.

Wellman blew it by not bringing on Jay Bilas as an assistant. Danny could have given him the radio show as his chief duty. That would have been entertaining.

I'm glad that basketball shoes with a $5K suit wearing [name redacted] sympathizer is no longer associated with our school.

Manning's son is already there as director of player development. We could save on the cost of a search process and have two Mannings as coaches!

Manning's son is already there as director of player development. We could save on the cost of a search process and have two Mannings as coaches!

Does he wear glasses? Can he read a stat sheet? Hell, he could do the post-game pressers in place of BM ... sorry, I meant DM.

Danny should hire a clone of himself. We need more aloofness, disconnection, and coach speak.

Bauman is ok with me. Whenever you talk with him he credits Roy Williams for teaching him everything he knows and doesn't give much credit to Danny Manning or Bill Self. Roy is a better coach than both those guys, so at least he knows who to learn from and whose mentoring he should throw out.

Does it matter?

Regardless of whether they bring anyone new in or who it is this program will continue to be an unmitigated dumpster fire. And whoever they bring in, if they bring anyone in, will be [better be] fired in a year. Besides, why would anyone with any credentials want to associate with that sinking ship?

Does it matter?

Regardless of whether they bring anyone new in or who it is this program will continue to be an unmitigated dumpster fire. And whoever they bring in, if they bring anyone in, will be [better be] fired in a year. Besides, why would anyone with any credentials want to associate with that sinking ship?

Assistant coaches move and change jobs frequently. That is how they climb the coaching ladder. Getting fired when the head coach is fired is an expectation of assistant coaches. It is considered one way a coach moves. Unlike many other professions, being fired, particularly if it is because your boss (head coach) leaves/resigns/is fired is not a big deal for an assistant sports coach. I suspect Wake would still be an attractive spot for an "up and coming" third assistant coach. Get (at least) one year of P5 time on the resume. Work for a known name in basketball circles. Rent in W-S on a one year lease. Move on, hopefully to a better job.

Bauman is ok with me. Whenever you talk with him he credits Roy Williams for teaching him everything he knows and doesn't give much credit to Danny Manning or Bill Self. Roy is a better coach than both those guys, so at least he knows who to learn from and whose mentoring he should throw out.

Sounds exactly like the guy we are about to hire (in terms of praising Roy).

Back