• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

I have seen currie and RW together a few times and I get the impression he is a RW mini-me.

I have totally cut out WF basketball until Manning is gone, but I don't have a lot of faith in RW mini-me to do the right thing.

This doesn't really make sense. A quick glance at our record would tell him there are major problems.

I think he came into a complicated financial situation with Manning, and Currie is using this year to make a plan (obtain buyout money, identify good replacement candidates, etc).

I've been impressed by Currie - he clearly gets the importance of the fan experience and social media, and he has been prominent at every sporting event at Wake this fall (all sports, all locations).

The people here know the record and don’t think there are problems.

I didn’t say Currie took the job and knew nothing about the basketball program. You all made that up.

I theorized that he hadn’t actually watched the basketball team play WITH HIS OWN EYES aside from maybe the First Four and a few other games. Instead he relied on what his mentor and toadies in the AD told him which were probably the same excuses we see from the sunshine crowd. You all really think Currie followed the program as closely as we do?

You don't have to watch a minute of game film to diagnose the problems though. Currie isn't gonna go talk to Manning about switching to the matchup zone sooner.

The people here know the record and don’t think there are problems.

I didn’t say Currie took the job and knew nothing about the basketball program. You all made that up.

I theorized that he hadn’t actually watched the basketball team play WITH HIS OWN EYES aside from maybe the First Four and a few other games. Instead he relied on what his mentor and toadies in the AD told him which were probably the same excuses we see from the sunshine crowd. You all really think Currie followed the program as closely as we do?

You realize he didn't have a full time job for almost the entirety of the past two Wake Forest basketball seasons, right.

Pruitt got off to a bad start all of last year and early this season, but the team is actually playing pretty well now and needs to beat two of @UK, @Mizzou, and Vandy to make a bowl. WSU also needs two wins out of four games to make a bowl this year, yikes.

Leach won 11 games last year and is replacing Gardner Minshew and good portion of the defense this year. Pretty certain they will figure out a way to win two games against Cal, Stanford and Oregon St.

You realize he didn't have a full time job for almost the entirety of the past two Wake Forest basketball seasons, right.

and even if he didn't have time to watch, surely he could've pulled out his phone, opened the ESPN app and been like "hmm, Wake lost to Houston Baptist. That seems bad."

Leach won 11 games last year and is replacing Gardner Minshew and good portion of the defense this year. Pretty certain they will figure out a way to win two games against Cal, Stanford and Oregon St.

I realize all that and it all combined for a total collapse at UCLA.

Oof. Even worse.

No I don't think UT is better off with Pruitt, but that doesn't mean Pruitt's not getting the job done right now.

Also, I think the transition from Jones to Leach would have even more difficult.

My hope is that wake negotiated manning getting another year with established metrics and an established buyout.

I definitely wish Manning would have been canned after last season. However, I think Currie's hands were tied by not starting until May 1. He missed the heart of coaching turnover season. Looking at the positives, I think he will have far better candidates to choose from starting in mid-March 2020 than he would have had in May 2019. And it's one less year we will have to pay two head coaches.

The problem is that those with the $$ and influence ALLOWED his hands to be tied, and Wellman tied them on purpose as one last power grab and ego fluff on his way out the door. And despite all of that, an interim coach would have been a better choice than what we have now. Curreie could have spent an entire season rebranding Wake basketball (new branding from Nike), pimping the shiny new facilities and a renewed commitment to winning, hearkening back to the legacies of Wake greats (with Nestor as head interim and Chill as assistant) and getting in early with hot coaching prospects. Instead, we have another season of Wake sucking out loud, all of the "new" stuff is overshadowed by questions about Manning, and the press is still unwilling to call Manning out because he's a legend. The way he's been treated with kids gloves, I suspect there will still be casual national basketball fans who wonder why he gets fired when the day finally comes.

Last edited:

Plus he's a Wake alum. Certainly he would have more than just a professional interest in WFU basketball.

I like the way you are hedging on your original comment by adding in "a few other games"

The problem is that those with the $$ and influence ALLOWED his hands to be tied, and Wellman tied them on purpose as one last power grab and ego fluff on his way out the door. And despite all of that, an interim coach would have been a better choice than what we have now. Curreie could have spent an entire season rebranding Wake basketball (new branding from Nike), pimping the shiny new facilities and a renewed commitment to winning, hearkening back to the legacies of Wake greats (with Nestor as head interim and Chill as assistant) and getting in early with hot coaching prospects. Instead, we have another season of Wake sucking out loud, all of the "new" stuff is overshadowed by questions about Manning, and the press is still unwilling to call Manning out because he's a legend. The way he's been treated with kids gloves, I suspect there will still be casual national basketball fans who wonder why he gets fired when the day finally comes.

Wake has fallen so far off the radar screen of casual basketball fans they won't know Wake has a new coach until they play Duke or North Carolina in January of 2021.

Currie brought J Ho back with CJ Harris both from Winston Salem.

Local HS bands.

Several video board intros of guys from NC. I like all of that...emphasize we are not New Jersey U.

Lol, fuck off. 75% of the kids at Wake are not from NC. The school wouldn't exist if it wasn't for out-of-staters.

Holy shit, big if true ! How did it even get started ? Thank you yankees !

That guy sure is touchy for a man with a gyrating ass avatar.

I’d like to see real numbers on exactly how much our stinky basketball program under bzz and manning has cost Wake. I suspect more than buyout costs and much broader than just basketball attendance.

Hate to admit it, but I gave nothing to Wake Will this year. My thinking was that, if Wake can continue to pay Manning crazy money, they certainly don’t need hard earned money from my modest retirement funds. I told that to the student who called me (after I ignored all written requests,) and he quickly AGREED, saying bunches of people he called said exactly that.

Back