• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Believe what you want.

Think about something, why would it go from $18M to zero after this season with many years left on the extension?

If a lawyer/agent was able to snooker Wellman into that large buyout, wouldn't there be some scaling? Why let them pay Danny $2.5M this year and leave over $15M from last year's buyout on the table?

My bad reason has no place here.

Who said it would go to zero? My belief has always been it would be a scaled deal: $18M, $15, $12, etc.

just one less year you have to pay 2 coaches.

Who said it would go to zero? My belief has always been it would be a scaled deal: $18M, $15, $12, etc.

My hope is that in agreement for one more year, a realistic buyout settlement was reached if manning doesn't meet certain requirements.

If the amount would be basically the same, there is no difference. That position makes no sense.

My hope is that in agreement for one more year, a realistic buyout settlement was reached if manning doesn't meet certain requirements.

Buyout is fully guaranteed, according to Goodman's source. Not an uncommon thing. Manning's extension is through '24-'25 (6 seasons including this one). The $18M number that floats around was likely just using a $3M/year estimate. One would obviously think (other than rj) the buyout drops by about $3M each year too.

If Manning's replacement gets paid the same thing, the school is "saving" $3M each year he hangs around. But, of course, the school is also losing revenue in the form of ticket sales, concessions, donations in addition to the damage to it's brand/reputation the longer basketball sucks. I would definitely like to see Currie axe Manning after this year. Hopefully, the approx. $15M could also be negotiated down some (doubt it would go below $10-12M) by saying good things in the press about Manning after we can him, and don't put any restrictions on him taking another job elsewhere (lol).

Buyout is fully guaranteed, according to Goodman's source. Not an uncommon thing. Manning's extension is through '24-'25 (6 seasons including this one). The $18M number that floats around was likely just using a $3M/year estimate. One would obviously think (other than rj) the buyout drops by about $3M each year too.

If Manning's replacement gets paid the same thing, the school is "saving" $3M each year he hangs around. But, of course, the school is also losing revenue in the form of ticket sales, concessions, donations in addition to the damage to it's brand/reputation the longer basketball sucks. I would definitely like to see Currie axe Manning after this year. Hopefully, the approx. $15M could also be negotiated down some (doubt it would go below $10-12M) by saying good things in the press about Manning after we can him, and don't put any restrictions on him taking another job elsewhere (lol).

The negotiations and performance requirements have hopefully already been agreed upon. They were doing something for those several days before they announced that Manning was going to be retained

You think Ron Wellman, whose successor and retirement date had already been announced earlier that month, spent a lot of time and effort reworking Manning's buyout terms?

If you had to guess ChrisL, what do you think Manning's buyout amount is after this season?

I have no idea. I would hope they had a gameplan and used the leverage of not firing Manning last year to some benefit.

I would hope single digit millions. He has stolen enough of our money.

Fair enough. I just struggle to believe Wellman did anything right towards the end.
Hopefully we get really lucky and Manning leaves to take a job at a school with a state in its name, and we owe him $0.

I have no idea. I would hope they had a gameplan and used the leverage of not firing Manning last year to some benefit.

I would hope single digit millions. He has stolen enough of our money.

What leverage?

If it is a 6 year deal averaging $3M a year, I’m guessing it started at around $2.5M and goes up incrementally to around $3.5M. So the buyout would go down to around $15.5M.

What leverage?

If it is a 6 year deal averaging $3M a year, I’m guessing it started at around $2.5M and goes up incrementally to around $3.5M. So the buyout would go down to around $15.5M.
The ability to continue being a college basketball coach, which i guess he enjoys.

Again, ONE BILLION DOLLARS, for nothing. With that backdrop, anyone worrying about "saving" $3 million for another year of the face of the university suffering incompetence at this level is as grossly negligent as Manning himself and should be thrown out the door along with him.

And furthermore, you fire Manning and don't pay him dick, regardless of what his contract says his buyout should be. Fire the motherfucker for said gross negligence and make him come try to get the money by proving that he is actually owed and deserves it.

Refusing to honor the contract with our previous coach should attract some top talent.

Wait, all those donations I made to the Wake Will campaign for the endowment don't cover buying out the basketball coach ?

I've been duped !!

Why don't we just use our $1BN of fully liquid brand new cash in the bank already?!?!

Horseshit.

Since Townie wants to bring this to multiple threads. I will too.

From the chat thread:

You think this strikes at me or is accurate. In reality, this is no different for Townie and others than for the people who built the museum that shows man and dinosaurs roaming the Earth together with men putting saddles on the beasts to ride them. Their faith that the Earth is less 6000 years old is central to their belief system and lives. Similarly, to Townie, Biff and others, RJ must be wrong about everything. RJ can't know anything or anybody. They hate me, marginalize me, don't believe anything I say.

If what I'm saying is true about this or other things, the core of their existence is turned asunder. Their beliefs and personas will be destroyed worse than Dresden was in WW II. They have to cling to their irrational position. I am used to this. It's sad and funny at the same time.

My friend Mike was much like Townie and others here when we first met. Mike thought my "stories" were totally full of shit. Then, he became parts of some stories that included people like Joey Buttafucco, Patrick Ewing and Faith Hill.

I fully realize Townie and others will come up with excuses to justify their years of hate and ignorance. I am a useful boogeyman to them. They must protect their core beliefs or come to understand the wasted efforts of irrationality, childishness, ignorance and group think. It's difficult to look in the mirror and admit your own weaknesses. I don't expect them to ever do so, but it would help them in other aspects of their lives.

Back