• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Since Townie wants to bring this to multiple threads. I will too.

From the chat thread:

You think this strikes at me or is accurate. In reality, this is no different for Townie and others than for the people who built the museum that shows man and dinosaurs roaming the Earth together with men putting saddles on the beasts to ride them. Their faith that the Earth is less 6000 years old is central to their belief system and lives. Similarly, to Townie, Biff and others, RJ must be wrong about everything. RJ can't know anything or anybody. They hate me, marginalize me, don't believe anything I say.

If what I'm saying is true about this or other things, the core of their existence is turned asunder. Their beliefs and personas will be destroyed worse than Dresden was in WW II. They have to cling to their irrational position. I am used to this. It's sad and funny at the same time.

My friend Mike was much like Townie and others here when we first met. Mike thought my "stories" were totally full of shit. Then, he became parts of some stories that included people like Joey Buttafucco, Patrick Ewing and Faith Hill.

I fully realize Townie and others will come up with excuses to justify their years of hate and ignorance. I am a useful boogeyman to them. They must protect their core beliefs or come to understand the wasted efforts of irrationality, childishness, ignorance and group think. It's difficult to look in the mirror and admit your own weaknesses. I don't expect them to ever do so, but it would help them in other aspects of their lives.

You're sick. Please get help. None of those things happened to you. It's sad to for us to watch you live out these delusions.

The amazing thing is that he spent time at a bar with a child molestor and then brags about it to us.

Very nice of him to carve out a little bit of time for us though, after being a high roller hanging out with a guy indicted on 19 counts of statutory rape, sodomy, and endangering the welfare of a child.

We're are blessed that he graces us with his presence.

This thread is about our athletic department and John Currie. Can we please make a “Fuck You, RJ” thread and limit these asinine and cyclical interactions to that thread?
There seem to be plenty that want to continue that topic.

If the buyout is a ruse, its a ruse that creates the perception that our decision makers are incompetent.

FWIW, RJ's point is so irrational, makes so little sense, and would be so bafflingly stupid for an AD to do that Wellman just might of concocted that plan.

It is Wellman level dumb let's be serious.

I'll get you back on theme: I think Currie is doing a great job.
While a lot of us (including me) would prefer the immediate gratification of Manning being gone today at 1:00 p.m., Currie is probably doing it exactly right, recognizing that he has a few more balls in the air that have to be addressed as part of that.

You think this strikes at me or is accurate. In reality, this is no different for others, than for the people who built the museum that shows man and dinosaurs roaming the Earth together with men putting saddles on the beasts to ride them. Their faith that the Earth is less 6000 years old is central to their belief system and lives. Similarly, to others, Ron Wellman must be wrong about everything. The Athletic Department can't know anything or anybody. They hate them, marginalize them, don't believe anything they say.

If what I'm saying is true about this or other things, the core of their existence is turned asunder. Their beliefs and personas will be destroyed worse than Dresden was in WW II. They have to cling to their irrational position. At this point they are used to this. It's sad and funny at the same time.

I fully realize many of them will come up with excuses to justify their years of hate and ignorance. Ron Wellman and John Currie are useful boogeyman to them. They must protect their core beliefs or come to understand the wasted efforts of irrationality, childishness, ignorance and group think. It's difficult to look in the mirror and admit your own weaknesses. I don't expect them to ever do so, but it would help them in other aspects of their lives.

FIFY

Thank you RJ for so eloquently describing exactly how I feel.

I'll get you back on theme: I think Currie is doing a great job.
While a lot of us (including me) would prefer the immediate gratification of Manning being gone today at 1:00 p.m., Currie is probably doing it exactly right, recognizing that he has a few more balls in the air that have to be addressed as part of that.

Don’t say that too loudly around here. You’ll be accused of being a parody, troll, or at least an AD shill.

I suspect Currie accepted another year of Manning as a term of employment. I had hoped his hiring was an indicator that Wellman and Manning were gone. I was wrong. It gives Currie a year to formulate his own opinion about all the current coaches and secure good replacements for all needing to be replaced. I believe Manning will make the choice obvious.

The only thing that might make sense is that they wanted to let Currie get a year at Wake under his belt before he was responsible for the biggest hire he can make at Wake. So they intentionally hired him after Wellman made the decision to keep manning another year to give cover to Curry for keeping an increasingly unpopular coach. Thus the early announcement of his hire wasn’t intentional, but forced because the AD get like the news was leaking.

That would almost make sense so I think it is the most improbable of all options.

Currie is a very smart man and has a lot of connections as an AD. When Manning is canned after this season you can bet Currie is gonna go for a big name homerun hire.

Currie is a very smart man and has a lot of connections as an AD. When Manning is canned after this season you can bet Currie is gonna go for a big name homerun hire.

I just got a little hard.

But then remembered a lifetime of disappointments.

Wake sports is pretty much a metaphor for my life.

Believe what you want.

Think about something, why would it go from $18M to zero after this season with many years left on the extension?

If a lawyer/agent was able to snooker Wellman into that large buyout, wouldn't there be some scaling? Why let them pay Danny $2.5M this year and leave over $15M from last year's buyout on the table?

My bad reason has no place here.

Literally nobody thinks it zeroes out after this year you idiot.

Aside from the lunatic angle of this thread, it will be very interesting to see if John Currie inserts himself at any point during this season. Thus far, he has been at either the scorer's table or behind the bench taking notes. If he makes any statements mid-season regarding Manning that could be very interesting.

The only thing that might make sense is that they wanted to let Currie get a year at Wake under his belt before he was responsible for the biggest hire he can make at Wake. So they intentionally hired him after Wellman made the decision to keep manning another year to give cover to Curry for keeping an increasingly unpopular coach. Thus the early announcement of his hire wasn’t intentional, but forced because the AD get like the news was leaking.

That would almost make sense so I think it is the most improbable of all options.
It actually does make sense when you consider Currie's experiences with Kansas State and Tennessee.
Even if you think Currie got a raw deal publicly for the Frank Martin Affair and from Fat Fulmer you still have to keep in mind he's got bad optical baggage when it comes to hiring coaches.
I totally could ACTUALLY see that something like what Catamount proposed occurred. Especially if there is a buyout additionally complicating matters.
Let's face it, Wellman's AD Department was always secretive, lying, and publicly full of shit in a crooked corporation kind of way... but I have no doubt they know the pressure to get this next hire right. And with Currie's hiring baggage in mind, I think they'd want to do all they could to make everyone come out looking great.

Aside from the lunatic angle of this thread, it will be very interesting to see if John Currie inserts himself at any point during this season. Thus far, he has been at either the scorer's table or behind the bench taking notes. If he makes any statements mid-season regarding Manning that could be very interesting.

If we start a downward trend in conference play, he might start to make small statements here and there by February. No way of really knowing what he’s decided until March though.

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere. Is it possible Currie wanted a full year to learn more about the program to find the right coach. Not to decide about manning but to make a good hire. Is it easier for him to hire a better coach by waiting the year? If Currie felt like this hire was maybe the most important thing he will do as AD and giving himself a year makes him more able to make a great hire then fine. I never thought DM should have been hired but simply firing him isn’t going to get me back. Wake me up when you hire a real coach.

I’m sure this has been discussed somewhere. Is it possible Currie wanted a full year to learn more about the program to find the right coach. Not to decide about manning but to make a good hire. Is it easier for him to hire a better coach by waiting the year? If Currie felt like this hire was maybe the most important thing he will do as AD and giving himself a year makes him more able to make a great hire then fine. I never thought DM should have been hired but simply firing him isn’t going to get me back. Wake me up when you hire a real coach.

I would be ok with this actually. We have had a decade of shittiness what's one more year if it means we hire the right guy.

I also have zero confidence we will actually hire the right guy tho.

Back