• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

The plan in place is to allow Manning to continue Coaching as per the terms of his contract extension. There is no reason to believe that Manning would be terminated after this next season or thereafter.

Says who? If this is true, Wellman and Hatch have destroyed our basketball program. Wellman would need to live the same type of life as the cheating ex-football coach/radio analyst. He might need a bodyguard.

Says who? If this is true, Wellman and Hatch have destroyed our basketball program. Wellman would need to live the same type of life as the cheating ex-football coach/radio analyst. He might need a bodyguard.

If Wellman has not needed a body guard up to this point, I don't think he is too worried about it.

At a school that cares about winning, maybe. I doubt he gets more than a disapproving glance in Winston.

Anybody else think it’s weird that “more money than they can spend” only applies to athletes and former athletes, not the people who pay them or the wealthy donors who support athletic programs?

Of course Manning wants to make more money. If he signed a contract to pay him $18M, he’s going to get his money.

You seem a little too sensitive on this one. Who thinks what you are saying? I know I am not saying he doesn't want to make more money.
However, he doesn't have to make decisions based on the ability to earn further income. Therefore, he can prioritize other things outside of maximizing immediate income (including gamble on future success). Given his history of accomplishments, I would assume he is very competitive. He may value the opportunity to make a comeback more than the value of his remaining contract. Especially, since he would have other opportunities to make money if Wake doesn't work out. On the flip side, he may feel his best way to maximize his long term earnings is to be successful at Wake no, so he takes the gamble.
He isn't going to give up leverage for nothing but there is a theory on what he might consider trading it for. We are hoping against hope that is the reality if the buyout is truly as insane as reported.

If anything, I view the wealthy donors more in that category (more money than they can spend). Why else are they blowing money on something like sports teams they don't play for?
Did you want to make more money when you were getting your PhD?

What would he trade his leverage for?

Think about Manning’s situation. He’s 52 years old. If he was a successful coach, he’d be looking at 15+ years earning near $4-5M a year the way salaries are headed. But he’s not a successful coach. If he wants to stay in coaching, he will be an assistant with a ceiling of maybe $1M a year until he can work his way back to the top.

Why would he give up $18M (or whatever)?

This isn’t complicated and your questions have already been answered. I’m not saying he would/should renegotiate, but there is reason why he might.
He would trade his leverage for another year as a head coach.
Because he wants to be a head coach, not an assistant. This isn’t that hard.

This would be with the assumption that he highly values being a head coach over starting over as an assistant (not a huge assumption) and thinks he can turn it around at Wake next year (we may know that is unlikely but he may believe it).
The big reach is thinking Wake was ready to fire him if he didn’t agree to renegotiate. However, that doesn’t seem to be what you are taking issue with.

Currie appears to be a Wellman stooge.

I have seen the 2 of them interact in a couple of different settings and it is pretty clear by the way Currie acts with such deference, that RW is his mentor and Currie believes in the Wellman way. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Currie appears to be a Wellman stooge.

I have seen the 2 of them interact in a couple of different settings and it is pretty clear by the way Currie acts with such deference, that RW is his mentor and Currie believes in the Wellman way. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Cmon folks, of course he is. Look at this quote. It's really all you need to understand what is going on. He's not going to make a move in his first five years maybe longer that doesn't have Wellman's endorsement.

"Ron Wellman has been my long-time mentor and is responsible for everything I have in my professional life – the most important of which is the ethical foundation that has sustained me over the last 25 years."

Couldn’t it be possible that the above is true, that Currie does owe his professional career to Wellman AND that he won’t run the department the same way?

Couldn’t it be possible that the above is true, that Currie does owe his professional career to Wellman AND that he won’t run the department the same way?

Yes, there is a 95% chance what you say is the case. There is also a 99% chance there are people on here that won't get that.

I think Currie does think highly of Wellman and that is understandable as there is a lot to admire. That being said, Currie is already showing signs that he plans to do things his own way. I think his outreach to students is something Wellman hasn't done. He also has a heavy social media presence which we know Wellman has shied away from. He also seems set on doing whatever he can to improve the fan experience. As much has he may love and respect Wellman, I am sure he has already realized that holding onto Manning another year is going to make his job really difficult. There was no way he was going to let Manning go as soon as he took over, but I also think he probably will be focused on fundraising this next year to take care of Manning's buyout and to hire a new coach.

I've also heard from a couple different people that part of what has hampered efforts to get rid of Manning is that 2 of our most prominent athletic donors are supportive of holding onto him. It could be that they aren't eager to cough up the $ needed for the buyout or it could be they like Manning personally and still believe he can get the job done. Likely it is a combination of the two. Maybe I am wrong, but I think Currie has some convincing to do.

Currie has been all over social media. In addition, the emphasis on the fan experience has been clear. The NCAA super regional tennis match today at 4 pm has been heavily advertised, and they are having food trucks, beer and wine, drawings, a Deacon Club tailgate, snow cones, and a tennis clinic for kids before the match. And this is for the #3 team in the country and defending NCAA champs.

The plan in place is to allow Manning to continue Coaching as per the terms of his contract extension. There is no reason to believe that Manning would be terminated after this next season or thereafter.

This is factually incorrect according to someone who would know it to either be accurate or inaccurate. They say...inaccurate.

I think Currie does think highly of Wellman and that is understandable as there is a lot to admire.

I've also heard from a couple different people that part of what has hampered efforts to get rid of Manning is that 2 of our most prominent athletic donors are supportive of holding onto him.

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Those are a couple of quotes you don't want to read with food in your stomach.

FUCK YOU, JOHN CURRIE

This is factually incorrect according to someone who would know it to either be accurate or inaccurate. They say...inaccurate.

Didn't those people say Manning was gone back in March?

Hard to believe Manning will be gone until it actually happens.

Last edited:
I've also heard from a couple different people that part of what has hampered efforts to get rid of Manning is that 2 of our most prominent athletic donors are supportive of holding onto him

There was Dan Collins' story where he said one donor with a name on his building was still a big believer. There was evidence that it was Sutton but then some posters (who don't post very frequently, FWIW) quickly came to his defense.

Regardless, I think it's clear Currie is a big believer in the "Wake Forest way" and is not going to stray from that. I would've loved to hire an outsider who would deliver a needed new take on things, but it was not to be at our oft-smarmy institution

:sick::sick::sick::sick:

Those are a couple of quotes you don't want to read with food in your stomach.

Haha. I can understand that. I think Wellman did a lot of great things for our athletic department. His football hires have been outstanding for example. BUT his basketball decisions have been abysmal and that is one area with which there is nothing to admire.

Haha. I can understand that. I think Wellman did a lot of great things for our athletic department. His football hires have been outstanding for example.

He kept Jim Caldwell for far, far, far too long. Grobe was a great hire. But the Grobe extension was botched and he kept Grobe on well past his prime, allowing the program to die again. Clawson was hired because Clawson sought out the job and Buddie talked Wellman into it. And then, on his final day, Wellman announced an extension for Clawson that we won't know the good or bad of for quite some time.

While I think it’s too early to give JC the “FU” I can get on board with the “ES” (eat shit) until he makes the necessary changes in our Signature Program.

Back