• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Agree with Townie. This discussion makes quantum leaps that are almost certainly not grounded in reality.

Wellman told him things were fine so he thought things were fine.

This doesn't really make sense. A quick glance at our record would tell him there are major problems.

I think he came into a complicated financial situation with Manning, and Currie is using this year to make a plan (obtain buyout money, identify good replacement candidates, etc).

I've been impressed by Currie - he clearly gets the importance of the fan experience and social media, and he has been prominent at every sporting event at Wake this fall (all sports, all locations).

Imagine the new athletic director's surprise when he arrived on campus and found out the basketball team sucked and he didn't have the money to get rid of the coach, after he had been assured by the previous AD that everything was fine !

Here is a theory. What is this was Currie’s first time actually watching a Manning coached team aside from maybe the First Four? It’s not that far fetched. He’s been busy as an AD. He could be one of many alums who just checked out of Wake basketball. So when he got hired, he just bought the company line about Manning from Wellman and the dumbass donors and didn’t make a move.
This is a very, very dumb theory.

Classic og boards discourse here.

Ph posts a theory which is dumb and bad, and then the idiots just pile on that theory (treating it as if it is fact, when indeed it is bad and dumb).

Currie, like Clawson, is a professional who accepted a job with eyes wide open. Two things can be true: 1) Wellman is his mentor, and Currie respects his tenure at Wake; 2) Currie cannot afford Danny Manning's buyout and has to ride out this year of his contract, which is probably pretty frustrating for Currie, making him respect Wellman less.

Of course, this treats reports of a huge buyout that somehow gets significantly cheaper next year as fact as well. There's been zero official confirmation of any of that.

True, but does it seem likely that Currie had no idea the basketball team wasn't good before taking the job ? Also, isn't it likely, based on your knowledge of coaching contracts in college sports, that Manning has some sort of large buyout that goes down annually ?

The idea that Currie took a power 5 AD job and knew nothing about the status of the flagship program is next level dumb.

Edit to say that Football is clearly our flagship program now, but point stands.

Of course, this treats reports of a huge buyout that somehow gets significantly cheaper next year as fact as well. There's been zero official confirmation of any of that.

I seriously doubt they'll ever "officially confirm" a buyout figure or language in a contract clause since Wake is a private school, and not one prone to throwing its employees publicly under a bus. It'll of course be frustrating to have to hear Currie talk blandly about how we need to improve all year, but the alternative "Man, Danny sucks, I wish I had the money to fire him" is not going to happen.

You have a spare $18 million?

Wake and Hatch are quick to spam me with emails saying how they are closing in on $1 BILLION of FREE FUCKING MONEY from the Wake Will campaign. So even if the $18 mil is true, which I don't think it is but for sake of argument, those assclowns won't spare 1.8% of that to fix the most public and well known face of the school? If true, that is straight bullshit and utter incompetence. And further evidence of the goddamn idiocy of the morons who gave the $1 billion without requiring any legitimate action.

This doesn't really make sense. A quick glance at our record would tell him there are major problems.

I think he came into a complicated financial situation with Manning, and Currie is using this year to make a plan (obtain buyout money, identify good replacement candidates, etc).

I've been impressed by Currie - he clearly gets the importance of the fan experience and social media, and he has been prominent at every sporting event at Wake this fall (all sports, all locations).

Agree with this. Currie will make a change next spring. This year will be long and frustrating but we just have to endure it. Let's hope that Currie is a hell of a lot better than RW was at sizing up coaching talent in basketball.

True, but does it seem likely that Currie had no idea the basketball team wasn't good before taking the job ? Also, isn't it likely, based on your knowledge of coaching contracts in college sports, that Manning has some sort of large buyout that goes down annually ?

Sure - he most likely has a buyout. But where's the evidence that it goes down dramatically between this year and next? All these theories that Currie doesn't have the money this year, but might have it next year assume that there will be some huge decrease. Otherwise the difference between years would be a couple million max, which is a pittance for a P5 AD to spend on their biggest sport.

A disgraced and unemployed former AD that was fired for incompetence takes any consulting job he can get and agrees to do anything for the chance to work again as AD at his alma mater. He is a Wellman protege and considers Wellman to be his mentor. We didn’t suddenly get a new AD with any balls that demands accountability and expects WAke to win.

This is totally false. People around the country know that Phil Fulmer was sabotaging Currie from Day One at TN. There are totally believable stories that Fulmer or his friends called a couple the TN football candidates telling them Currie wouldn't be there for their entire first contract. Fulmer is pure scum.

Currie was far from being disgraced.

Agree with this. Currie will make a change next spring. This year will be long and frustrating but we just have to endure it. Let's hope that Currie is a hell of a lot better than RW was at sizing up coaching talent in basketball.

This is apparently all correct except for the fact that if DM has a 'solid' year (whatever that means) he'll likely be retained still. Remove all doubt...lose every game by double digits and DM is toast...potentially even before the start of conference play or right after the first of the year if we're really that bad...

This is totally false. People around the country know that Phil Fulmer was sabotaging Currie from Day One at TN. There are totally believable stories that Fulmer or his friends called a couple the TN football candidates telling them Currie wouldn't be there for their entire first contract. Fulmer is pure scum.

Currie is disgraced by every day that goes by with Manning still our coach. There is no rational excuse for it. The school is rolling in fucking money. And if it isn't, then you fire the motherfucker anyway and make him come chase the non-existent money and try to overcome the hurdle of his gross incompetence in every single aspect of coaching to justify its payment.

Yep. Currie had Mike Leach lined up to come in. How's Fulmer's hire working out?

Yep. Currie had Mike Leach lined up to come in. How's Fulmer's hire working out?

Pruitt got off to a bad start all of last year and early this season, but the team is actually playing pretty well now and needs to beat two of @UK, @Mizzou, and Vandy to make a bowl. WSU also needs two wins out of four games to make a bowl this year, yikes.

I definitely wish Manning would have been canned after last season. However, I think Currie's hands were tied by not starting until May 1. He missed the heart of coaching turnover season. Looking at the positives, I think he will have far better candidates to choose from starting in mid-March 2020 than he would have had in May 2019. And it's one less year we will have to pay two head coaches.

Back