• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

FUCK RON WELLMAN

Wake Forest signed coach Danny Manning to a contract extension, athletic director Ron Wellman announced Saturday night.

Terms were not disclosed, but a source told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that Manning signed a six-year extension that puts him under contract through 2024-25.

"Danny is attracting highly-rated and quality young men to our program and he has proven his ability to develop that talent," Wellman said in a statement. "Our program will continue to improve and we will realize the lofty goals that we have for the program."

Ludicrous to extend an unproven coach 6 years off of a First Four appearance.

Culture! Now, remind me, how many graduates Manning’s program has accomplished?

FUCK RON WELLMAN

Wake Forest signed coach Danny Manning to a contract extension, athletic director Ron Wellman announced Saturday night.

Terms were not disclosed, but a source told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that Manning signed a six-year extension that puts him under contract through 2024-25.

"Danny is attracting highly-rated and quality young men to our program and he has proven his ability to develop that talent," Wellman said in a statement. "Our program will continue to improve and we will realize the lofty goals that we have for the program."

Ludicrous to extend an unproven coach 6 years off of a First Four appearance.
Don’t forget that was signed AFTER he was off to the worst start of a basketball season in school history.

Don’t know if it was signed before or after but it was definitely finalized over the offseason and just announced after the season started.

According to StubHub, there are hundreds of tickets almost mid-court, lower level going at between $6 and $10 for our home opener.

I think you might be able to sit on the bench for $20. Just pitiful.

According to StubHub, there are hundreds of tickets almost mid-court, lower level going at between $6 and $10 for our home opener.

Are they paying you $6 to $10?

The people here know the record and don’t think there are problems.

I didn’t say Currie took the job and knew nothing about the basketball program. You all made that up.

I theorized that he hadn’t actually watched the basketball team play WITH HIS OWN EYES aside from maybe the First Four and a few other games. Instead he relied on what his mentor and toadies in the AD told him which were probably the same excuses we see from the sunshine crowd. You all really think Currie followed the program as closely as we do?

He may not have followed the program as closely as some of those on this board do, but keep in mind John is a Wake alum and pretty big basketball fan. Safe to say he’s seen the Deacs play more than a few times in the last several years. He definitely didn’t walk into this situation without knowing exactly how the fan base feels about the current state of affairs.

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Surprised so many here are willing to eat one of our own so quickly.

He may not have followed the program as closely as some of those on this board do, but keep in mind John is a Wake alum and pretty big basketball fan. Safe to say he’s seen the Deacs play more than a few times in the last several years. He definitely didn’t walk into this situation without knowing exactly how the fan base feels about the current state of affairs.

Im giving him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Surprised so many here are willing to eat one of our own so quickly.

This.

Yes. Manning is Wellman’s fuck up. He owned it at the end of his tenure. Earliest possible time to evaluate Currie related to b-ball is after the season.

He had only one thing to do to be a hero. Fire Manning and hire a decent basketball coach.

Just about anyone on these boards could have done it.

He failed and deserves whatever ridicule he gets.

I could probably contribute more off the bench too.
And I'm a fat Chef.
A pie in Manning's face and a couple free throws.
Not bad for $20

He had only one thing to do to be a hero. Fire Manning and hire a decent basketball coach.

You do know he can still do it and "be a hero," right?
We're ALL disgusted by Manning's failure and Wellman's misjudgment.
I'll support the hell out of the F U Wellman thread and comments.
But this F U Currie thread has been childish since the moment it went up. And everyone knows it.

I'd argue that he really didn't "fail." Expecting him to fire Manning within a few weeks on the job, especially when in a non-traditional hiring period in the summer time frame is a low percentage bet.

Be mad at him if you wish, it's your right, but I suggest judging him based on his actions during/after this season.

Why the hell did we wait?
I think that Wellman and Manning (misguidedly?) believed that the team would remain at the level of the previous season so that they could release the contract extension during the season to coincide with the strong start to the season. But then when the season started to tank, they panicked and released it to try to stem the negativity & provide Manning with the perception of stability.

Or maybe they knew the team would struggle and just planned to use it as cover during the season. Or maybe they just randomly timed out the announcement with no regard to its optics.

From the numerous other boneheaded decisions with the basketball team, it is not evident that anyone has been paying attention to the team's image and behind-the-scenes management for the last decade.

Last edited:
Back