• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Currie addresses the basketball program starting at 10:22 in the video. Sound really excited to meet individually with Manning to do a SWOT analysis.

Yawn...that video sucks.

FUCK YOU, JOHN CURRIE

He really said he wanted to do a SWOT analysis? Of a program with two straight 20 loss seasons.

Manning is the weakness.

So you’ve identified A weakness. Are there others? Are there things we can do to mitigate them?

What about strengths? Are there any? Are we doing everything we can to leverage them? Same with opportunities and threats. The output of a SWOT analysis are things like goals, plans, different processes, people, changed roles, etc. Any leader, upon taking over a new organization, would conduct a thorough SWOT analysis. He would never say, “This group sucks. No point in doing SWOT on it.” I can’t imagine it’s any different for a new AD.

The results of a SWOT analysis will be just as meaningful to the next coach as well. It will also help in hiring the next coach.

Do the analysis but don’t do it with someone who is the main weakness and can’t do anything to address the threats or take advantage of opportunities. It’s an empty, futile gesture.

Strengths: None
Weaknesses: Everything
Opportunities: Fire Manning and hire better coach
Threats: Wellman, Hatch, Manning's contract and excessive buyout, lack of accountability at the highest levels, no commitment to winning from the highest levels

Well, to be honest, the program IS an infection. :/

Do the analysis but don’t do it with someone who is the main weakness and can’t do anything to address the threats or take advantage of opportunities. It’s an empty, futile gesture.

You have to include Manning in the process. He may have insight into environmental factors of which Currie needs to be made aware and that will benefit the next coach.

My partners and I do these for our corporate clients all the time. You have to include current leadership in the process or the results are incomplete.

Strengths: None
Weaknesses: Everything
Opportunities: Fire Manning and hire better coach
Threats: Wellman, Hatch, Manning's contract and excessive buyout, lack of accountability at the highest levels, no commitment to winning from the highest levels

If we have no strengths, why would a better coach want to come here?

At a lot of schools, the AD would have to get President and/or Board approval before writing an eight figure check to buy a coach out.

Of course those same schools would never need to pay an 8 figure buy out.

At a lot of schools, the AD would have to get President and/or Board approval before writing an eight figure check to buy a coach out.

I believe 2 & 2 addressed how that should be handled. Give the lawyers Wake is graduating some work and litigate that. Pay what you have to when you have to. Make that last a long time if Manning will not budge.

In the mean time, hire a real coach and revive the program.

There is just so little upside in keeping Manning this year.

Even if he somehow learned how to coach, his rep and imminent demise has killed his ability to recruit.

Z
I believe 2 & 2 addressed how that should be handled. Give the lawyers Wake is graduating some work and litigate that. Pay what you have to when you have to. Make that last a long time if Manning will not budge.

In the mean time, hire a real coach and revive the program.

There is just so little upside in keeping Manning this year.

Even if he somehow learned how to coach, his rep and imminent demise has killed his ability to recruit.

So roll the dice by paying a bunch of newly graduated lawyers, who have never litigated anything, and try to drag the litigation out for as long as you can? And in the meantime, keep paying those newly graduated for as long as you have to.

Neither you nor I have any idea what’s in Manning’s contract. But IMO, if Wake’s attorneys felt there was a way out of the Manning contract, he’d be gone.

Back