• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

I am SOOO aware of being a white guy watching that Currie interview.

That said, I keep harping on it, but starting at the 7 minute mark where kid three fingers asks Currie about big donors and he jumps straight into community involvement. Going to be the key to building atmosphere - especially football.

But IMO, if Wake’s attorneys felt there was a way out of the Manning contract, he’d be gone.

Would they be the same Wake attorneys who reviewed and approved the contract two years ago?

If we negotiated an amended buyout several weeks ago and then fired him now, i don't think we would have a very strong position.

At least Hewitt earned his by getting to a title game.

Thats right, Tech's contract with Hewitt was at least understandable, a winning track record and he just took his team to the NCAA finals, Tech was worried some other big program would poach Hewitt. Who was waiting to poach manning? The play in game deserves a better contract than a guy who just went to the final 4?

Bump since Manning is still the coach, although that SWOT analysis is pretty exciting stuff for the fans!

It will take Currie years to unravel the hoops hand he has been dealt. Insane contracts. Insane home arena. He’ll leave the next guy a much better hand when he leaves one day.

I like John Currie. He has my support.

Wellman would have never given that interview to that kid. You can see the change.

That's fine. Deal with it however you like, but there's no reason to continue to be pissed off that a new AD isn't firing a baskeball coach in May. We are on a restricted access highway, and barring unforseen circumstances, the next exit isn't coming up for several months. It doesn't matter how much you say you have to pee. We're not stopping.

How much worse could it be with an interim coach for a year?

How much worse could it be with an interim coach for a year?

From all reports, $18 million worse.

ETA:

What difference should be expected if, say, Ernie Nestor became the Wake interim coach from tomorrow until March 2020 vs regarding Danny as "interim" until March 2020?

Last edited:

If it's a guaranteed contract as reported, that money is spent whether he stays or goes. Sunk cost. Water under the bridge. The minimal cost of hiring an interim would more than be made up for from the increased revenues that result. It's hard to imagine how hiring an interim wouldn't be a net financial gain. The only scenario that changes that could be if Manning renegotiated some sort of massive reduction in the guarantee in March based on staying one more season, but I'm struggling to understand why he would ever agree to something like that...it seems to be a coping mechamism that was invented here on OGBoards for folks looking for hope somewhere, anywhere.

Wouldn’t even have to hire an interim. Losing with Randolph as HC would bring more revenue than losing with Manning. An alum as HC plus the excitement of knowing we will have a completely new staff in a year is preferable to malaise.

This thread is dumb. Give the guy a little time to try to do his job. Expecting him to jump in and fire Manning is crazypants.

ETA:

What difference should be expected if, say, Ernie Nestor became the Wake interim coach from tomorrow until March 2020 vs regarding Danny as "interim" until March 2020?

A report. More a tweet actually. The $18mil number is not attributed to reports plural. On the flip side, there are a number of posters (not technically reports) who have mentioned that folks inside the AD put the number closer to $10mil.

Outlandish that he got a contract extension the summer after losing in the Last 4 in game, but I really hate that we have accepted the $18 mil number as fact despite multiple data points that counter it.

A report. More a tweet actually. The $18mil number is not attributed to reports plural. On the flip side, there are a number of posters (not technically reports) who have mentioned that folks inside the AD put the number closer to $10mil.

Outlandish that he got a contract extension the summer after losing in the Last 4 in game, but I really hate that we have accepted the $18 mil number as fact despite multiple data points that counter it.

Links?

jay -

Even if it is $10 million it doesn't make me feel any better. BTW, what's the real buy-out drop to next year ?

Or he could fire Manning this afternoon and begin the process of rectifying the massive screw ups of his mentor.

The first year of Currie looks just like the last 10 of Wellman.

Back