• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

SWOT Manning

S he’s a good big man coach, sort of; negotiating his own contracts; laughing contently during meetings

W tailoring, eye glasses, enunciation, use of timeouts, identifying talent, recruiting, rotations, substitution patterns, hiring assistant coaches, game preparation, in game coaching, half time adjustments, won loss record, and perhaps a few more

O to galvanize the fan base after the Buzz disaster, ok that was a fail; so perhaps Collins/Moore/Hoard if all 3 make it.

T every opponent including Houston Baptist, becoming the laughingstock of the ACC, hopefully the new AD

Note to Currie: if Manning laughs contently during another staff meeting, that would be a good time to turn to him and stare an ice dagger at him, until we start winning games again...

The fact that everybody was thinking he was gone and then at the last minute he was retained would lead me to believe that there was some sort of contract negotiation going on with Manning. I don't really anticipate Currie going rogue in this regard his first week on the job.

Everybody was thinking he was gone because nobody thought the buyout was that big of an obstacle. The fact he's still here doesn't suggest the buyout is less of an obstacle than we thought months ago.

Even assuming that's the case I don't think Currie magically has the buyout money in his back pocket.

Especially with how the moronic process of sending Wellman off/starting Currie up went down

If it's a guaranteed contract as reported, that money is spent whether he stays or goes. Sunk cost. Water under the bridge. The minimal cost of hiring an interim would more than be made up for from the increased revenues that result. It's hard to imagine how hiring an interim wouldn't be a net financial gain. The only scenario that changes that could be if Manning renegotiated some sort of massive reduction in the guarantee in March based on staying one more season, but I'm struggling to understand why he would ever agree to something like that...it seems to be a coping mechamism that was invented here on OGBoards for folks looking for hope somewhere, anywhere.

Wouldn’t even have to hire an interim. Losing with Randolph as HC would bring more revenue than losing with Manning. An alum as HC plus the excitement of knowing we will have a completely new staff in a year is preferable to malaise.

Both of these.

If it's a guaranteed contract as reported, that money is spent whether he stays or goes. Sunk cost. Water under the bridge. The minimal cost of hiring an interim would more than be made up for from the increased revenues that result. It's hard to imagine how hiring an interim wouldn't be a net financial gain. The only scenario that changes that could be if Manning renegotiated some sort of massive reduction in the guarantee in March based on staying one more season, but I'm struggling to understand why he would ever agree to something like that...it seems to be a coping mechamism that was invented here on OGBoards for folks looking for hope somewhere, anywhere.

I don't think putting another coach in place acknowledging he is not the answer is going to generate any significant revenue. I really don't think it would overcome any cost we would have to pay someone to take on this shitstorm without any longer financial commitment. Randolph is my favorite Deacon player (any sport). I am not at all excited about having him as the head coach. Maybe others would be. I might argue that many of those that would be are already unconditionally supporting the program.

In terms of why Manning would agree to renegotiate, I think there is a reasonable explanation that has already been discussed. He probably has more money than he can spend. He doesn't want to get fired and wants to be successful as a head coach at a P5 school. If pride, and opportunity to turn the program around, is more valuable to him than his current paycheck, he might consider if the option was being fired this year. That said, I am afraid you are on to something in terms of our collective coping mechanisms.

Thinking Currie would fire Manning as soon as he took over has to be one of the dumbest takes

Nobody really thought that would happen but it would have signaled that that wake Forest was no longer happy singing the Deacon Blues.

We know that the Titanic makes quicker turns and better anticipates problems than the current crop of Wake Forest administrators.

Wellman picked his successor and made sure the course was set for Currie.

One could always hope that Currie was cut from a different cloth and would have set to fix the glaring problem.

Anybody else think it’s weird that “more money than they can spend” only applies to athletes and former athletes, not the people who pay them or the wealthy donors who support athletic programs?

Of course Manning wants to make more money. If he signed a contract to pay him $18M, he’s going to get his money.

Anybody else think it’s weird that “more money than they can spend” only applies to athletes and former athletes, not the people who pay them or the wealthy donors who support athletic programs?

Of course Manning wants to make more money. If he signed a contract to pay him $18M, he’s going to get his money.

Danny must have a really good agent.

Nobody (outside of maybe the 100 people who frequent the boards) cares anymore. Wake just wants as little press as possible about the shit show that is our basketball program. Firing manning and then putting a interim coach in place just puts even more light on how shitty the situation is. To the people in power, another year or two of sucking before making a change is preferable to admitting how bad they screwed up.

Currie just has to not mess anything else up until he has the actual and political capital to remove Manning.

I have to think that there is a plan in place - sort of.

Possibilities:

* We talked with Matta and he said he wants to sit out and get healthier (and collect free money) for one more year.
* Currie talked to Texas and found that they were in a similar situation - not happy with Shaka but unwilling to eat his buyout this year
* We would have to pay Manning X leaving Y amount per year for a new coach on a Z year contract - the fear that Y per year wasn't going to land Oats or any other of our top 3 or 4 choices so let Wellman fall on the sword and punt this year while other house in order stuff is made to happen - like the CP3 financed facility upgrade.
* We decided the risk of losing Clawson without a significant pay and commitment bump was too great, and that was prioritized this year.

I cannot imagine anyone inside the AD offices expect Manning to turn the ship around next year dynamically enough to save his job. Off the top of my head, I cannot recall a more obvious Dead Man Walking scenario than ours. Maybe Bob Wade in Maryland 25 years ago?

Last edited:
Withholding judgement on Currie until Hoopla gives us the scoopla on his clandestine meetings with the new AD. Does Currie have the moxie or not?

Manning's ridiculous contract and ability to stay on is Wellman's revenge for the perfectly justified criticism he got for destroying a once proud basketball program.

Danny must have a really good agent.

Quite possibly. But he might also have an agent who just did the standard agent thing of throwing something absurd out as a starting point for negotiations, and then was shocked when we accepted it. So what he might really have is just a good poker face.

Really amazing that this would've gotten through what I presume to be a fair number of checks and balances, which makes it seem those protocols weren't followed by Wellman and Hatch.

The plan in place is to allow Manning to continue Coaching as per the terms of his contract extension. There is no reason to believe that Manning would be terminated after this next season or thereafter.

Back