• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

He kept Jim Caldwell for far, far, far too long. Grobe was a great hire. But the Grobe extension was botched and he kept Grobe on well past his prime, allowing the program to die again. Clawson was hired because Clawson sought out the job and Buddie talked Wellman into it. And then, on his final day, Wellman announced an extension for Clawson that we won't know the good or bad of for quite some time.

All valid. Can't argue with that.

Ron Wellman is gone. That fact alone is a huge positive. John Currie arrives with an expectation to resurrect a demolished basketball program and a fan base expecting immediate action. Wellman then displays his contempt for accountability and the fan base by announcing Manning will be retained, an action supported by Hatch.

Currie has a year to demonstrate the Wake Forest athletics department is committed to winning in all sports and the fan base is worth more than a target for his middle finger. I had hoped his hiring signaled a commitment by Hatch and the BOT to begin the process immediately and was disappointed. Considering their actions, Currie has his work cut out for him to meet my expectations.

Good post, Blackjack. Wellman will get credit for a good football season and Currie has to sit on this thumbs during another lackluster hoops season.

Good post, Blackjack. Wellman will get credit for a good football season and Currie has to sit on this thumbs during another lackluster hoops season.

Or he can do all of the back channel stuff (that most of us will never see and/or know about) that puts the school in as good a position as possible to make a change, when next season ends.

There was Dan Collins' story where he said one donor with a name on his building was still a big believer. There was evidence that it was Sutton but then some posters (who don't post very frequently, FWIW) quickly came to his defense.

Regardless, I think it's clear Currie is a big believer in the "Wake Forest way" and is not going to stray from that. I would've loved to hire an outsider who would deliver a needed new take on things, but it was not to be at our oft-smarmy institution

I missed that Country Dan article but it sounds pretty accurate. Sutton's tweets during the time frame of Manning's retention sure sounded like he supported it. Although, I think one of his tweet's was deleted. I could be wrong about that though.

I missed that Country Dan article but it sounds pretty accurate. Sutton's tweets during the time frame of Manning's retention sure sounded like he supported it. Although, I think one of his tweet's was deleted. I could be wrong about that though.

How could an adult human think Manning will be a successful ACC head coach? Wonder how big that donation had to be to get him in school.

How could an adult human think Manning will be a successful ACC head coach?

Maybe he's like RChill. He doesn't think he actually will be successful. He'll just argue that he will be because you can't possibly know for sure, or something.

Maybe he's like RChill. He doesn't think he actually will be successful. He'll just argue that he will be because you can't possibly know for sure, or something.

Like him? Maybe he IS him.

does he get credit for football? All the rumors point to ronnie not playing a major role bringing in clawson.

I'll give him credit for getting out of the way. He also gets credit for being an asshole.

How could an adult human think Manning will be a successful ACC head coach? Wonder how big that donation had to be to get him in school.

Man, I can't figure that one out either. I think it is entirely possible that some are just in awe of the name and/or like him so much that they are just hoping he will somehow pull a rabbit out of the hat.

does he get credit for football? All the rumors point to ronnie not playing a major role bringing in clawson.

Again, the credit thing. Ph, I don't think that many fans really put emphasis on credit one way or another. They want winning programs, period. If we win a fourth straight bowl game, I don't think Wellman will be getting undue credit while Currie has to cede it to him. No one will (or should) care about those two guys other than, are you running a ship that is producing results? We treat this like the presidency where each administration gets all this credit. When in reality an AD should be like a referee, only noticed when s/he is screwing up.

I highly doubt the fan base at large will be thinking about Ron Wellman any more other than, wow, he wrecked our basketball program. I don't think they'll be saying, our football team is so good, too bad Wellman instead of Currie is the reason. That's why it didn't bother me for Wellman to announce the Clawson extension. If our other teams remain competitive and our basketball team comes around, it will be Currie's show and, besides among the very high level donors, Wellman won't be thought of much more - other than as a cautionary tale of what can go wrong when you misstep (and double down on those missteps) in your major program.

if the current players had taken a stance and said they would not play if manning was retained...would a move have been made? I blame them just as much as the AD in this decision. therefore i will BOO anything associated with wake basketball until a change is made. hopefully they dont try and introduce the team during a football game this season, will really kill the atmosphere

if the current players had taken a stance and said they would not play if manning was retained...would a move have been made? I blame them just as much as the AD in this decision. therefore i will BOO anything associated with wake basketball until a change is made. hopefully they dont try and introduce the team during a football game this season, will really kill the atmosphere

It would be extremely rare, and maybe even rarer than that, for players to rebel against a head coach. And under Wake's coaching regime, rarer yet. Remember the associate head coach has a son on the team who is the point guard, one of the team leaders and one of the most senior players on the team. Player rebellions happen when the more senior players have had enough. Not yhe situation at Wake.

It would be extremely rare, and maybe even rarer than that, for players to rebel against a head coach. And under Wake's coaching regime, rarer yet. Remember the associate head coach has a son on the team who is the point guard, one of the team leaders and one of the most senior players on the team. Player rebellions happen when the more senior players have had enough. Not yhe situation at Wake.

as rare a situation as a once proud program being ridden into the ground and rather than make necessary moves to fix, we make the decision to suck longer to save face? idk, anything is fucking possible id say with the current state of this "program".

Back