• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Once again, RJ needs to stick to making material for gifs.

That shit was painful.

I feel sad that so many, who are so young and just can't have fun. Let your hair down. Take the sticks out of your assess before you need surgery. Have some passion.

Who gives a fuck if a few yokels think you look funny? It's jealousy that they can't do it themselves.

Enjoy yourselves before you have convinced yourselves you can't or shouldn't and keep doing it.

If you don't like my style, fine, create one for yourself.

My bad, being original is frowned upon now. That's too bad.

I keep forgetting you guys know so much more than I do about EVERYTHING.

What could I possibly be thinking?

A few this things shows is how INFATUATED some are with RJ; how much others want to "start fights" and that when they hit, then cry about being hit back.

I am constantly amazed, aghast and often creeped out by how OBSESSED some people here are with him.

Others than trying to insult him, what's the prupose of anyone doing this? Why "start fights"?

Lets make deal about this and see if others can keep it. RJ will NEVER say anything about this subject if others put it to rest.

As to the Nazi stympathizer LK, he's a punk and always has been.

Interesting read from KSU and UT fans. Not a surprise that Currie was hated at each school he worked at.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/5wp0yg/kansas_states_john_currie_is_hired_as_tennessees/

What a difference two years make. Many KSU fans in that thread think Bruce Weber needs to be fired and Frank Martin is incredible. One year after that Weber makes the elite 8 and Frank Martin only makes the tourney 1 out of 7 years at USC (though that one year was quite a run), and their fans are now talking about the huge bullet they dodged with Frank Martin. Ask KSU fans what they think of John Currie now.

That was an interesting read. This was the longest post from a KSU fan - I found it insightful:

"I liked John Currie and I LOVED what he did for the University. Here are some of his accomplishments:

Took us from a budget deficit to a surplus. At the same time he reduced our subsidy form the university from almost 3% to zero. And when I say zero its zero. We even pay the university utilities for the electricity, gas and water we use.

Expanded facilities on a grand scale. Basically redid 3/4 of the football stadium including new lights, new screens, new sound and huge improvements to the toilets. New locker room facility, new coaches offices, new athletes dining facility. New basketball training center with two courts (mens and women) offices, training area, etc with a connection to the area for games. New baseball stadium, new tennis stadium/facility, new indoor rowing facility. Im sure Im forgetting something.

Created a new program with Soccer. We were the only school in the conference that didnt play soccer. Granted we also close down Equestrian but that will reduce the number of horse girls at the school so gods work there.

He did all that with one of the smallest budgets in P5 at one of the smaller schools in P5 with THE smallest population per P5 school in the state locations.

As for coaching hires - Bruce Weber is probably going to be fired and he was only hired because Frank Martin left/got pushed. I loved Coach Martin but I did not like the way he treated his players. Being a hot head coach is great in theory but when he calls a time out to berate a player, I draw a line about 5 feet behind him. He has mellowed significantly and is doing awesome stuff at SC and they are lucky to have him. But his bridges were burned before Currie blew up the pilings. On the other hand Currie also fired a women basketball coach everyone liked and who was kinda winning. Her replacement, Jeff Mittie is tearing it up and has the Cats solidly in the Top 25 and NCAAs. Not easy when you are in a conference with Baylor, Texas and OU. We are clearly 4th best in the conference now but we are a lot closer to 3rd or even 2nd than 5th. So for those who are down on his coaching hires, I respond that he is 1-1.

Most importantly - he did all this while keeping our program CLEAN. Not even a hint of scandal. As I posted in another forum, every single Big12 program has been involved in some sort of scandal during his time at KState and we have not even had a hint of one. No coaches banging students, no coaches covering up rapes, no student-athlete drug dealers, no students beating up other students, no bagman accusations, no entire athletic department staff complicit in stealing from the university. Knock on wood, I can't even remember the last time we scored a Fulmer Cup point while 70 miles down the road they consistently have more arrests than wins. I know reputation doesn't mean everything to some but to me it is absolutely everything. Im an Army Officer and I only have my integrity and reputation. I appreciate that I don't have to hang my head when people talk about my University and its sports programs. Are our kids perfect? of course not. But they do an amazing job of not getting caught :) Seriously, given the 450 student athletes in the program and the fact that 17-24 year olds make bad decisions daily, the fact that ours staff off the police blotter is a testament to the high standards set by all in the athletic department.

So that is what you are getting Tennessee. I think its a loss for us and a gain for you.

Edit - Just heard that the facility improvements totaled over $210 million without a single dime of tax or tuition money."

Currie's reputation is that he is good at fundraising and building facilities and bad at managing coaching relationships and hiring new coaches.

John had Wake in his rearview mirror until events intervened. He is very ambitious which should work in our favor at least in the short run.

Currie's reputation is that he is good at fundraising and building facilities and bad at managing coaching relationships and hiring new coaches.

No it's not. At KSU he hired Bill Snyder and Bruce Weber - those were his only football and basketball hires. Snyder took KSU to #1 in the country and Bruce Weber took them to the elite 8.

John had Wake in his rearview mirror until events intervened. He is very ambitious which should work in our favor at least in the short run.

I don't know the guy but I do hope he realizes the next men's basketball hire has to be a home run. I was at the Joel this past Saturday and it's just pitiful. Absolutely depressing.

No it's not. At KSU he hired Bill Snyder and Bruce Weber - those were his only football and basketball hires. Snyder took KSU to #1 in the country and Bruce Weber took them to the elite 8.

He did not hire Snyder; Snyder had come back before Currie got the job

He did not hire Snyder; Snyder had come back before Currie got the job

I thought Currie was hired in May 2009 and Snyder started coaching again in August 2009? Is that incorrect? Or was Snyder hired at the end of 2008? If I'm incorrect on the timeline, then Currie hired one major coach, Bruce Weber.

I thought Currie was hired in May 2009 and Snyder started coaching again in August 2009? Is that incorrect? Or was Snyder hired at the end of 2008? If I'm incorrect on the timeline, then Currie hired one major coach, Bruce Weber.

Snyder was announced in November 2008

ESPN article here

Snyder to attempt second 'miracle' turnaround for Kansas State
Nov 24, 2008
Associated Press

Snyder signed a five-year contract for a base salary of $250,000 and a total compensation of about $1.85 million annually, athletic director Bob Krause said. Krause said he had made no offers to anyone else.

"We anticipate he will coach as long as he is able to coach and is successful in coaching," he said.

Last edited:
Such was the case upon Currie’s departure from Manhattan. He excelled in financial matters, which played to his background in development. When it came to coaching transitions, though, Currie operated against fan sentiment.

In basketball, when then K-State AD Currie didn’t support men’s basketball Frank Martin strongly enough, the wildly popular coach left Manhattan for South Carolina. His replacement, Bruce Weber, was met with a tepid response.

Then there was the recent report, again from McMurphy, that Currie attempted to orchestrate Bill Snyder’s succession with a lucrative offer to former assistant Jim Leavitt as coach-in-waiting. Snyder said he offered Leavitt a job but said he was unaware of any succession plan.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/blair-kerkhoff/article187553628.html

One Kansas State beat reporter said that Currie’s relationship with the living coaching legend that is Bill Snyder. GoPowercat.com’s Ryan Wallace said this week on WKGN’s “The Drive” in Knoxville that Currie did not have a great relationship with Wildcats coach Bill Snyder.

“Over the course of the last several years, he and Bill Snyder did not see eye-to-eye on a lot of things.When you’re in a one-on-one conversation with Bill Snyder, as we’ve been told there has been numerous meetings between Bill Snyder and John Currie one-on-one, and they didn’t go very well very often. In one particular instance, Bill Snyder was getting up to leave the conversation and it wasn’t one that I guess was going well as far as he had seen. John Currie tells Bill Snyder to ‘sit his ass down,’ (and) that doesn’t really go over very well.”

https://fanbuzz.com/college-footbal...e-told-a-coaching-legend-to-sit-his-ass-down/

Back