• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

John Currie will get us there. It is a process with lots of moving parts. It will take 5 years to fix this disaster (especially with Shah in the Manning camp—to the extent there is a camp). But Currie is the man for the job.

Currie will make a good hire. But more importantly, if he doesn’t, he’ll make a normal fire.

Gutless decision to keep the Mannequin and lack of transparency is embarrassing and intellectually insulting.

Here is a theory. What is this was Currie’s first time actually watching a Manning coached team aside from maybe the First Four? It’s not that far fetched. He’s been busy as an AD. He could be one of many alums who just checked out of Wake basketball. So when he got hired, he just bought the company line about Manning from Wellman and the dumbass donors and didn’t make a move.

It's a Wellman disciple whose hire Wellman surely had some say in. Since he's who we got, we were never gonna fire Danny ASAP

Currie brought J Ho back with CJ Harris both from Winston Salem.

Local HS bands.

Several video board intros of guys from NC. I like all of that...emphasize we are not New Jersey U.

Currie is a joke until the day he fires this buffoon.

What is so sad is that you have high school coaches making $30-40K a year within miles of the campus who could actually do better. I'm not exaggerating. They could do much better.

And yet this crap is allowed to continue. It's simply mind boggling.

What is so sad is that you have high school coaches making $30-40K a year within miles of the campus who could actually do better. I'm not exaggerating. They could do much better.

This is absolutely true. I would be okay with firing all of the coaches and not hiring anyone.

Self coaching could not look any worse.

Agreed.

Give me coach Howard West. That guy would beat Danny 10 times out of 10.

Here is a theory. What is this was Currie’s first time actually watching a Manning coached team aside from maybe the First Four? It’s not that far fetched. He’s been busy as an AD. He could be one of many alums who just checked out of Wake basketball. So when he got hired, he just bought the company line about Manning from Wellman and the dumbass donors and didn’t make a move.

If this is true, he's even more incompetent than we all thought. Who the hell accepts a job without doing serious research first?

If this is true, he's even more incompetent than we all thought. Who the hell accepts a job without doing serious research first?

A disgraced and unemployed former AD that was fired for incompetence takes any consulting job he can get and agrees to do anything for the chance to work again as AD at his alma mater. He is a Wellman protege and considers Wellman to be his mentor. We didn’t suddenly get a new AD with any balls that demands accountability and expects WAke to win.

Wellman told him things were fine so he thought things were fine.

Similar to how Clawson assumed the football program was in good shape because he respected Grobe and then he got here and found out it was a mess.

Similar to how Clawson assumed the football program was in good shape because he respected Grobe and then he got here and found out it was a mess.

How could you not do a little research coming in and clearly see things are not fine. If he thought everything was fine then he already sucked as an AD. Which his previous job history points to strongly.

There is NO WAY any even semi-competent AD would take a job at a P5 school without being thoroughly familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of all of his coaches, especially those in his highest profile programs. He knew what to expect from Manning and he kept him around anyway.

While I've liked a lot of stuff that I have seen from the AD under his leadership so far (increasing the fan engagement at FB games, offering deals like the ticket combo during the fair, etc) his failure to deal with Manning is highly questionable. I think that Wellman pulled some type of power move that tied Currie's hands for this season.

A disgraced and unemployed former AD that was fired for incompetence takes any consulting job he can get and agrees to do anything for the chance to work again as AD at his alma mater. He is a Wellman protege and considers Wellman to be his mentor. We didn’t suddenly get a new AD with any balls that demands accountability and expects WAke to win.

How could you not do a little research coming in and clearly see things are not fine. If he thought everything was fine then he already sucked as an AD. Which his previous job history points to strongly.

Classic og boards discourse here.

Ph posts a theory which is dumb and bad, and then the idiots just pile on that theory (treating it as if it is fact, when indeed it is bad and dumb).

Currie, like Clawson, is a professional who accepted a job with eyes wide open. Two things can be true: 1) Wellman is his mentor, and Currie respects his tenure at Wake; 2) Currie cannot afford Danny Manning's buyout and has to ride out this year of his contract, which is probably pretty frustrating for Currie, making him respect Wellman less.

Back