• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

it's just a wasted year - every single person on earth knows we'll be meh this year and that we'll fire the Mannequin at the end of the year. why delay the rebuild for yet another year?

and fuck Ron Wellman avenue - he's a smug, narcissistic, dishonest, SOB. His performance as NCAAB chair was embarrassing. He's lied to this fanbase a thousand times right in our face. Please go away - I will lolololololololololololol forever if we magically beat Clemson, win the ACC and then miss the playoff because we lost one game all year when that piece of shit opened the gates. That would be a perfect legacy for that doosh.

I'd argue that he really didn't "fail." Expecting him to fire Manning within a few weeks on the job, especially when in a non-traditional hiring period in the summer time frame is a low percentage bet.

Be mad at him if you wish, it's your right, but I suggest judging him based on his actions during/after this season.

You're right.

The rich and powerful like Manning, and their VIP passes to the dumpster fire still make them feel special. Currie can't burn bridges during his first year on the job.

it's just a wasted year - every single person on earth knows we'll be meh this year and that we'll fire the Mannequin at the end of the year. why delay the rebuild for yet another year?

and fuck Ron Wellman avenue - he's a smug, narcissistic, dishonest, SOB. His performance as NCAAB chair was embarrassing. He's lied to this fanbase a thousand times right in our face. Please go away - I will lolololololololololololol forever if we magically beat Clemson, win the ACC and then miss the playoff because we lost one game all year when that piece of shit opened the gates. That would be a perfect legacy for that doosh.

Bro, it’s not going to be a meh year. This year is going to be historically awful. Not for WF, but for any school to ever play in a power conference in the modern basketball era.

Currie needs permission from his master to take a shit. You think he is firing Manning without Hatch's blessing?

Leach won 11 games last year and is replacing Gardner Minshew and good portion of the defense this year. Pretty certain they will figure out a way to win two games against Cal, Stanford and Oregon St.

Well he lost to Cal.

Well he lost to Cal.

Ugly game. Probably the worst call I have ever seen in a game. Called a penalty against Cal for hands to the face. Assessed the penalty to Washington St, didn’t realize it until after a play had run. The difference was the ball for Washington State on the Cal 33, but instead took over at their own 8. Not the reason for the loss, but oof. Either way, he is still a better coach than Jeremy Pruitt.

I read that you had your head in your hands tonight watching us lose to Charlotte. Thank your mentor for making me put this back on the first page.

Currie needs permission from his master to take a shit. You think he is firing Manning without Hatch's blessing?

I would. As the AD of the University sports is my purview, and Hatch is a president nearing retirement. If he fired me during my first year of employment for firing the least popular basketball coach in university history, Hatch would look like a complete asshole. I wouldn't take a job where I run a department, without really being able to run my department. It's Currie name and ass on the line with Wake's basketball team, no one equates Hatch with any success or failure of Wake's athletics.

I would. As the AD of the University sports is my purview, and Hatch is a president nearing retirement. If he fired me during my first year of employment for firing the least popular basketball coach in university history, Hatch would look like a complete asshole. I wouldn't take a job where I run a department, without really being able to run my department. It's Currie name and ass on the line with Wake's basketball team, no one equates Hatch with any success or failure of Wake's athletics.

Hatch is already a complete asshole.

I don't really buy the whole "Currie is powerless due to Hatch & beholden to Manning as a Wellman stooge" thing and think Currie will take decisive action when most optimal to the future (assuming the season continues as expected) but he probably still has some shell-shock from his Tennessee time and the bolded above. He had so much outside interference in trying to run his department from the fans, Fulmer, and school administration with the football search, which eventually led to his ouster, that he could try to not rock the boat as much now. Removing the Schiano thing, he tried to hire Pirate Leach but the admin totally undermined him.

I believe that he'll make a move if warranted but he's going to want to have it really planned out with proper support from the boosters and administration. He'd probably be motivated to prove he can land a good hire but his past experiences could lead to him being cautious along the way.

Related note: Hatch definitely has poked his nose into the sports realm a time or two but he is awful at managing sports programs (even going back to his ND time). He needs to stay the hell out of the way. He's a great fundraiser and a good steward of the academics but he doesn't know sports administration what-so-ever.

Last edited:
I don't really buy the whole "Currie is powerless due to Hatch & beholden to Manning as a Wellman stooge" thing and think Currie will take decisive action when most optimal to the future (assuming the season continues as expected) but he probably still has some shell-shock from his Tennessee time and the bolded above. He had so much outside interference in trying to run his department from the fans, Fulmer, and school administration with the football search, which eventually led to his ouster, that he could try to not rock the boat as much now. Removing the Schiano thing, he tried to hire Pirate Leach but the admin totally undermined him.

I believe that he'll make a move if warranted but he's going to want to have it really planned out with proper support from the boosters and administration. He'd probably be motivated to prove he can land a good hire but his past experiences could lead to him being cautious along the way.

We're talking about firing perhaps the worst coach in division I history of the sport! If he fired him before his first cup of coffee tomorrow, only an insane person would disagree. If the guy honestly needs to rally support of boosters for this trainwreck, he signed up for the wrong profession.

We're talking about firing perhaps the worst coach in division I history of the sport! If he fired him before his first cup of coffee tomorrow, only an insane person would disagree.
I 100% agree with you. But he's still going to have everyone on board beforehand, including making sure he has all the money covered (which was supposedly the big hold up last time - or Wellman being a dbag one last time). My post was not intended to mean he would not do it soon, just that he's going to make sure to have this planned out with the needed resources. We're basically 2 years to the day from when his UT time went to complete shit with a coaching search.

Last edited:
Back