• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rule Changes For The 2019-20 MBB Season - 3 point line moving back

we couldn't shoot treys before, so this change wont make any difference

actually we are so weak that I can't imagine any rules changes that could help us

If Adrien White shoots like he did his first two years at UNCC, we'll have at least one good shooter. Massoud has a really nice stroke.

But we will suck.

we couldn't shoot treys before, so this change wont make any difference

actually we are so weak that I can't imagine any rules changes that could help us

Maybe this will mean we will drive to the hole even more. Getting more charges called on us and throwing up wild acrobatic layups.

Why are there still jump-balls to start the game and OTs? Just let the visiting team take the ball out at the starts and then pick up with the alternating possession rules as are now used. In the shot clock era, who has the first possession has become irrelevant. The only interesting development off a jump ball opening a half I ever recall was an ODU game when Kermit Washington was playing. Some kid, and I can't even recall which team he was on, at the start of the second half forgot which basket was his, chased down the tip and went in for an uncontested layup, putting his team down another 2 points. The body language of his teammates was priceless.

Because you want to start a game and OT on an even playing field so the jump ball is the fairest way to do that. But making a great toss is one of the hardest things for an official to do and that is one of the reasons they took that out of the game and went to the AP arrow. It is very dangerous with the huge players and all of their body parts flying upwards for the tossing official to get in there and back out safely. That is one reason they don't have their whistles in their mouth when making the toss. Many have lost teeth or had teeth chipped and sometimes worse off the opening toss.

Because you want to start a game and OT on an even playing field so the jump ball is the fairest way to do that. But making a great toss is one of the hardest things for an official to do and that is one of the reasons they took that out of the game and went to the AP arrow. It is very dangerous with the huge players and all of their body parts flying upwards for the tossing official to get in there and back out safely. That is one reason they don't have their whistles in their mouth when making the toss. Many have lost teeth or had teeth chipped and sometimes worse off the opening toss.

KenPom did an analysis of jumpballs in 2015 for a NYT writer. His article starts with my thinking, no other sporting event has so much spectacle with so little meaning. FWIW (meaning nothing), UNCG was fourth in the country that year in jumpball wins.

KenPom did an analysis of jumpballs in 2015 for a NYT writer. His article starts with my thinking, no other sporting event has so much spectacle with so little meaning. FWIW (meaning nothing), UNCG was fourth in the country that year in jumpball wins.

#WesMillerCoaching

Another rule change is that any shot hit in the lane versus Duke or UNC will automatically be reversed and an offensive foul will be assessed.

Probably cheats like Dean did. Players move early and steal the tap. Dean used to cry like hell the few times he got called for this violation. Jump balls very important in the old days during close games.

XFL scramble for the football begs to differ.

Another rule change is that any shot hit in the lane versus Duke or UNC will automatically be reversed and an offensive foul will be assessed.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Yea there is no question there in regards to the start of a game. They could probably do a coin toss to settle the opening of the game and there would be no problems. But I would doubt that any coach would be in favor of giving up the ball to start an OT since he only has 5 minutes of total time.

Then just use the possession arrow to start OT. The possession arrow is already important in the last 5 minutes of regulation. It will still be important if there's another 5 minutes.

One thing I’ve always thought is that the defensive team that creates the tie-up should get the ball. Why allow the offense team, who allowed themselves to be trapped, to keep the ball because the arrow is pointed on their direction?

One thing I’ve always thought is that the defensive team that creates the tie-up should get the ball. Why allow the offense team, who allowed themselves to be trapped, to keep the ball because the arrow is pointed on their direction?

They tried that several years ago because Dickie V kept complaining about it. It was a shitshow.

What would your solution be to joint possession during a rebound? Tell the offense they should have made the shot. They don't get any credit for work on offensive glass?

What would your solution be to joint possession during a rebound? Tell the offense they should have made the shot. They don't get any credit for work on offensive glass?

It depends. If it's a Lakers game joint possession is perfectly legal. It would be a different story in Charlotte.

Back