• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rule Changes For The 2019-20 MBB Season - 3 point line moving back

What would your solution be to joint possession during a rebound? Tell the offense they should have made the shot. They don't get any credit for work on offensive glass?

Once the shooter releases the shot, it’s a free ball. If the rebound results in a joint possession, I would jump that one up. But if the defense creates a tie up on the floor, they deserve the ball.

Then just use the possession arrow to start OT. The possession arrow is already important in the last 5 minutes of regulation. It will still be important if there's another 5 minutes.

Ph, point of starting the OT with a jump ball is much different that the last 5 minutes because you have had an entire game of AP arrows so you are continuing on with the same fairness. But with an overtime you want both teams to start fresh. They each get another timeout to work with also. That is why you start now with a jump ball. Make things exactly equal to start a game & OT.

What would your solution be to joint possession during a rebound? Tell the offense they should have made the shot. They don't get any credit for work on offensive glass?

Not that this is dealing with joint possession but they are only giving the offensive team 20 seconds on a new clock instead of a full 30 seconds after an offensive rebound. Won't mean quite so much pressure on the defense's legs I guess unless they give up 3 or 4 of those in a row. Plus a team like UVa can't grind you quite as much if they do it. They have to get into an offensive set quicker and get another shot off again.

Ph, point of starting the OT with a jump ball is much different that the last 5 minutes because you have had an entire game of AP arrows so you are continuing on with the same fairness. But with an overtime you want both teams to start fresh. They each get another timeout to work with also. That is why you start now with a jump ball. Make things exactly equal to start a game & OT.

Ok. Then do another coin toss at OT.

I would like to see the statistics on the frequency of OT winning teams having also won the opening jump of overtime. I'd imagine that there is not too strong of a correlation between those two events and don't really expect too much of an actual causal relationship (i.e. winning the opening tip greatly improves the odds of winning the OT period) even if correlation exists.

I would like to see the statistics on the frequency of OT winning teams having also won the opening jump of overtime. I'd imagine that there is not too strong of a correlation between those two events and don't really expect too much of an actual causal relationship (i.e. winning the opening tip greatly improves the odds of winning the OT period) even if correlation exists.

Probably not but there is always those games where some team gets on that immediate run and scores 8 to 10 straight points and puts the game away. Now does it start off the opening tap? Don't know. You also have those thrillers where both teams are so nervous that they can't throw it in an ocean and go several minutes scoreless. Personally I would rather get the opening tip and score because you only have 5 total minutes and I would want to get momentum on my side. That is their thinking on having a toss for OT. You still have face offs at the start of games & OT's in hockey & lacrosse and also after goals. Just seems fair to start the game & each OT with a toss.

Just make it a coin toss just like football. No sense getting the refs beat up trying to make a good toss and then having to get out of the way.

Back