• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Murder on the App Trail

mako1331

Son of Mako's Mom
Reaction score
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/12/us/appalachian-trail-machete-attack/index.html

Crazy, and not too far from where I grew up. I've hiked this area plenty of times. As someone that section hikes the AT every summer, I've run into plenty of sketchballs that have made me feel uncomfortable or even downright fearful. I'm always kinda surprised when I run into solo female hikers. Sucks that the tranquility of the trail is occasionally wrecked by violence.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/12/us/appalachian-trail-machete-attack/index.html

Crazy, and not too far from where I grew up. I've hiked this area plenty of times. As someone that section hikes the AT every summer, I've run into plenty of sketchballs that have made me feel uncomfortable or even downright fearful. I'm always kinda surprised when I run into solo female hikers. Sucks that the tranquility of the trail is occasionally wrecked by violence.

Pack heat on the AT? What sections in NC and VA are the sketchiest?

I have been hearing about that crazy guy all year. Horrible this happened. Wonder why he wasn’t arrested for repeatedly assaulting people w a weapon

North of Roan Mountain we ran into this big dude. Overalls but no shirt, and shit kicker work boots. No pack, no water, at least 4 miles from any connector trail. Super friendly, but it was just an uneasy encounter, especially when he asked if we carried any firearms while we were hiking, and my dipshit buddy told him no, they're too heavy to carry. We ran into him again a few miles down the trail, but he never passed us on the trail itself. Needless to say, I've had better night's sleep on the trail than I did that night.

I would think some sort of self defense would be standard hiking equipment on these long haul deals...Does the multi state nature of it make what you can and can't have on you nebulous?

Mace at least?

Looks like a chill dude...
machette-attack.jpg

I would think some sort of self defense would be standard hiking equipment on these long haul deals...Does the multi state nature of it make what you can and can't have on you nebulous?

Mace at least?

I always carry a decent size knife that I can get to in an instant if need be, but when you're hiking 20 miles a day, every ounce matters.

Mace at least?

I think NY, NJ, and MD would not work for a NC CC permit

I think NY, NJ, and MD would not work for a NC CC permit

"Jordan spoke to the hikers through their tents, and threatened to pour gasoline on their tents and burn them to death," FBI Special Agent Micah Childers wrote in the affidavit.

Sure would have been nice to say back to this idiot. "How about you ease on down the road "Sovereign" or I'll blow your fucking head off with this .38 Smith and Wesson I'm pointing at you."

Or just actually blow his head off since what he said constitutes a death threat.

Last edited:

Mace at least?

It's owned by the Feds. The National Parks Service website may have the skinny on what is or isn't allowed.

ETA: The website has a little useful info. It says that the law of the state in which the park (or part of it) is located controls, with the exception of certain structures (e.g. visitor centers, maintenance facilities, etc.). In those, no guns allowed.

Last edited:
Back