• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Inside the pampered world of DC’s VIP diners

The obvious safe space for a Trump loyalist is the President’s hotel. According to former server Badger Russell, who worked at its steakhouse for nearly a year, through February 2018, any high-level people connected with the White House were waited on by the hotel restaurant’s most experienced servers and fussed over by managers. As soon as a Trump VIP sat down, staff protocol called for delivery of a complimentary glass of bubbly. The kitchen would prioritize that table’s food orders ahead of everyone else’s, so they’d never wait too long for a tuna tartare—no matter how busy the restaurant might be.

THAT EVERY PERSON IS TREATED THE SAME IS THE GREAT LIE ALL RESTAURANTS TELL.
“There was a certain level of stress that was put on you based on management,” Russell says. “It was a higher level than just a standard guest. It was like ‘Don’t eff up. Make sure everything’s on point.’ ”

Russell says Eric Trump liked to sit along the mezzanine rail with a view of the lobby below, while Donald Trump Jr. typically held court in the hotel lounge. Rudy Giuliani often entertained a group in a private dining room—starting with whiskey and moving on to bottles of wine—but was happy to schmooze with anyone who approached him. Kellyanne Conway, on the other hand, preferred to retreat to a more private table. The President’s adviser was “one of the more finicky customers,” Russell says. “She was more demanding than any of the others. She was the one who wanted to be treated like she was special.”

The President was the one person managers waited on personally. He pretty much ordered the same thing every time: a shrimp cocktail to start, followed by a boneless New York strip with fries. Russell says all the talk about Trump eating his well-done steak with ketchup has been overblown. As far as he could tell, the condiment was for his fries.

On his way out, the President liked to hand out $5 or $10 bills to employees. “I do recall one time he pulled out his money clip and he didn’t have any small bills, and he was hurting when he gave out a $50 bill,” Russell says. “Everybody was looking, so he still gave it out.”

So he does like his steaks well done though.

Strip is probably the worst cut to get well done. If you're scared of rare meat, I'd go with a ribeye that might still have some semblance of flavor left.

Strip is probably the worst cut to get well done. If you're scared of rare meat, I'd go with a ribeye that might still have some semblance of flavor left.

I'd actually contend that a ribeye is best at medium well to allow that marbling to melt into the meat, as opposed to a strip or filet, which should be at medium or less. But yeah, that's not what was going on here.

The only thing you show up to defend is his food choices. That is very telling.

You have TDS of the worst sort. You not only need a dictionary but you also need to learn to read and most especially to comprehend. I have never defended or approved of well-done steaks, New York strip or other, much less with ketchup and fries. Awful waste of potentially a decent cut of meat, which is best rare. Furthermore, ketchup and fries go with burgers, not steak. (Sounds to me like Trump's misbegotten germ phobia has gotten the better of his poorly cultivated and underdeveloped taste buds.)

But his problems are not as severe as yours, which have reached such a stage that with your level of incomprehension, you should not be allowed out of Davie County, or even the house.

oooooo, michdeac likes his steaks cooked to death

Luddite opinion. I love it when people sneer and think all steaks are best rare. A ribeye is significantly different than a filet.

I cook most steaks med rare, especially strip. But I tend to agree ribeyes more in the medium range. And flat iron steaks you need to cook to med well - they're inedible med rare. I sear flat irons on the grill or in the broiler and then finish them by roasting them in the oven for a while.

But I wouldn't call Chris luddite - he probably just eats better cuts of meat than we do. I will call out Kamala Harris as luddite for the ice in the white wine thing. Even worse, it's probably chardonney. She is a Philistine, and I will not drink with her. I'm as offended by the white wine ice thing as I was her anti-NAFTA comments the other day.

Back