• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another State moves to support Democracy

The reality is the quickest way to revolution in this country is get rid of the EC. Go 100 years in the south and midwest without being represented and having laws enacted that they don't agree with, and they will revolt. The EC is one of the best things we have going in our political process. It is probably a primary reason that our democracy has been stable for over 200 years. But yes, lets get rid of it so the urban can tell the rural what to do. That has never ended poorly in the history of civilizations.

That's not so. Smaller states still get the same number of Senators as big states.

Why should your vote for POTUS count more than mine?

The reality is the quickest way to revolution in this country is get rid of the EC. Go 100 years in the south and midwest without being represented and having laws enacted that they don't agree with, and they will revolt. The EC is one of the best things we have going in our political process. It is probably a primary reason that our democracy has been stable for over 200 years. But yes, lets get rid of it so the urban can tell the rural what to do. That has never ended poorly in the history of civilizations.

God forbid the snowflakes in the south and west have to deal with people they don't like having rights. To repeat a previous point, we run half of one branch of government with "one state two votes"-half of two branches, if you count Senate approval for judges.

And fuck a rural voter - they get their additional advantage by having an outsized representation in the Senate. People who get shafted by the EC are poor people who live in urban areas. Of course, Wrangor couldn't give a shit about that.

So the majority is just supposed to deal with having a minority control things out of fear of armed revolt? You said some dumb things in the past but this one might take the cake.

Are you going to deal with the fact that pretty much every population center in the South leans democratic?

Last edited:
Wrangor, where do your stand on the House bill that bans discrimination against LGBTQ people in housing, employment, lending?

"Democrats in the House have approved a sweeping anti-discrimination bill that would extend civil rights protections to LGBT people by prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity.

Called the Equality Act, the legislation would extend protections to employment, housing, loan applications, education, public accommodations and other areas."

Wrangor is the perfect republican, the I don’t support trump but only because he says the quiet parts out loud and does stuff in a messy way, the actual results? Well oh fuck yeah give me that sweet discrimination with a little rolling back of individual rights if you aren’t a straight white male all washed down with some liberal tears.

By the way, there is nothing inherent in the EC that guarantees that alleged rural underrepresentation would be offset. There is nothing in the EC preventing Los Angeles County and NYC from each splitting into 15-20 city-states each with the population of Wyoming and each with 3 EV's.

Is it really that difficult to discuss a topic without reverting to name calling?

Snowflake!

Liberal Tears!

You hate the gays!

This board has become such an angry place. Keep fighting the EC battle. I am sure that will really rally the midwest votes that Democrats desperately need to win a presidential election.

Wrangor is the perfect republican, the I don’t support trump but only because he says the quiet parts out loud and does stuff in a messy way, the actual results? Well oh fuck yeah give me that sweet discrimination with a little rolling back of individual rights if you aren’t a straight white male all washed down with some liberal tears.

What discrimination or rights has Trump rolled back that I have supported? This is a pretty strong accusation. Source?

Where was the outrage over the EC in 2008? What about 2012?

I totally understand the one person - one vote model, but the pissing and moaning from the left over abolishing the EC following the 2016 election reminds me of a 6 year old who lost at Candy Land so he (she?) whined about it incessantly and decided to change the rules.

Your serious, Clark?

Is it really that difficult to discuss a topic without reverting to name calling?

Snowflake!

Liberal Tears!

You hate the gays!

This board has become such an angry place. Keep fighting the EC battle. I am sure that will really rally the midwest votes that Democrats desperately need to win a presidential election.

I never said anything like that. All I did was ask your position on the new law protecting gays from overt, enacted discrimination. Why are you avoiding answering such a simple. civil question?

You also haven't answered why your vote for POTUS should count more than mine.

Snowflake!

Liberal Tears!

You hate the gays!

We are just discussing the EC, which is worthy of discussion IMO. I do not think anyone credible is suggesting that talking about the EC is going to generate votes.

Snowflake!

Liberal Tears!

You hate the gays!

so you want sober discussion over your contention that you deserve a more highly weighted vote than another person to avoid armed revolt?

This is a generic response to the dumb talking point about “I want my vote to matter”, not a response to anyone. Just wanted to preface that.

The EC is the one of the last remaining vestiges of Anti-Federalist sentiment that viewed the American people as citizens of states, not of a nation. Dumbass rubes in Indiana, for example, can’t understand that their vote in their state of 6.7 million people is the exact same as a vote from a California resident in a state of 39.6 million because they’re conditioned only to think about issues like this as “us vs. them”. The GOP has done a phenomenal job at continuing the “state vs. state” ideology of Anti-Federalism alive into the 21st century, but that’s just ridiculous now. America is a nation of 327 million people, regardless of where you live. Each citizens vote should be one point toward their preferred candidate. We are an American people, especially when voting for the highest office in the nation, one that governs all states, not just the ones that voted for him.

It does seem to boil down to how one views state vs national citizenship.

Are there states that have anything similar to the EC for determining statewide elections?

God forbid the snowflakes in the south and west have to deal with people they don't like having rights. To repeat a previous point, we run half of one branch of government with "one state two votes"-half of two branches, if you count Senate approval for judges.

The irony is they don't even have to deal with them. They just read about them on the internet and get angry. People who live in cities are the ones that have to deal with all walks of life, and that's how they know that everything on outlets like Fox News is blown out of proportion. It's not like hipsters and SJWs run rampant in farming communities. And plenty of the illegal immigrants they complain about end up working for below minimum wage on their farms, as they openly complain about illegal immigration. When you actually don't have any idea what's going on, it's really easy to be manipulated and fear mongered by someone like Rush Limbaugh or Alex Jones.

Last edited:
I think Wrangor has a point here, and we should stick with the EC. But what I don't understand is why, after we passed the 15th amendment, an African American's vote counts the same as mine. If we already had it in the Constitution that they should only count as 3/5 of a person, why isn't their vote only 60% of my white vote? I mean, the answer is probably because all you lawyers would then be litigating how white or black a person is. But I would counter that we can make that determination now with all these 23 and me type tests. You establish whatever the threshold percentage is to be considered black, say either 25 or 50% for example. Back then, we didn't have the technology to accurately identify someone's ethnicity. But now that we do, I believe we should return to the framers' intent of only having a person of color count as 60% of a person, and to be consistent, such a person's vote should only count 60% as well.

The white nationalists have an easy solution. They believe in the one drop theory. Even Hitler didn't adopt that.

This is a generic response to the dumb talking point about “I want my vote to matter”, not a response to anyone. Just wanted to preface that.

The EC is the one of the last remaining vestiges of Anti-Federalist sentiment that viewed the American people as citizens of states, not of a nation. Dumbass rubes in Indiana, for example, can’t understand that their vote in their state of 6.7 million people is the exact same as a vote from a California resident in a state of 39.6 million because they’re conditioned only to think about issues like this as “us vs. them”. The GOP has done a phenomenal job at continuing the “state vs. state” ideology of Anti-Federalism alive into the 21st century, but that’s just ridiculous now. America is a nation of 327 million people, regardless of where you live. Each citizens vote should be one point toward their preferred candidate. We are an American people, especially when voting for the highest office in the nation, one that governs all states, not just the ones that voted for him.

The zero sum game is the bedrock of the conservative doctrine.

So are people actually saying that group x shouldn't advocate/seek advantage for their desired outcomes because of some absolute standard that exists outside of membership in said group x?

Back