• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another State moves to support Democracy

And fuck a rural voter - they get their additional advantage by having an outsized representation in the Senate. People who get shafted by the EC are poor people who live in urban areas. Of course, Wrangor couldn't give a shit about that.

Willing to bet big monies that Wrangor does more to support underprivileged people than you, but keep on keeping on internet warrior. Your posts are making yuge differences for all the poors out there.

I think Wrangor has a point here, and we should stick with the EC. But what I don't understand is why, after we passed the 15th amendment, an African American's vote counts the same as mine. If we already had it in the Constitution that they should only count as 3/5 of a person, why isn't their vote only 60% of my white vote? I mean, the answer is probably because all you lawyers would then be litigating how white or black a person is. But I would counter that we can make that determination now with all these 23 and me type tests. You establish whatever the threshold percentage is to be considered black, say either 25 or 50% for example. Back then, we didn't have the technology to accurately identify someone's ethnicity. But now that we do, I believe we should return to the framers' intent of only having a person of color count as 60% of a person, and to be consistent, such a person's vote should only count 60% as well.

Right. And people who are progeny of an inter-racial marriage should have their votes counted as four fifths.

The reality is the quickest way to revolution in this country is get rid of the EC. Go 100 years in the south and midwest without being represented and having laws enacted that they don't agree with, and they will revolt. The EC is one of the best things we have going in our political process. It is probably a primary reason that our democracy has been stable for over 200 years. But yes, lets get rid of it so the urban can tell the rural what to do. That has never ended poorly in the history of civilizations.

1. Sometimes lighting matches can be fun.

2. The South fared poorly the last time they engaged in armed revolt in the effort to continue to own human beings. I can't believe you are speaking about revolution over this.

3. Your math is way off. The south and midwest are mostly not helped by the EC with every state having 2 extra EVs, and it's not a rural v. urban thing. The states where folks' votes count a lot more than other folks are states with small populations, whether that population is rural or urban, to-wit: DE, RI, ME, CT, NH, VT, WV, AL, HI, ID, MT, WY, ND, NE, NM and KS - in other words, a mix of red and blue states and not all rural. FL, GA, NC, VA, TX, OH, MI and IL are large southern and midwestern states that are mostly urban whose votes are diluted by the EC. The small states are mostly the mountain west with a handful in the Pacific and northeast, and most of the southern and midwestern states are hurt by the EC. Stop watching Fox and getting your talking points there.

4. I've never considered you a knuckle dragger like Angus. I was merely pointing out in a colorful and over the top way that just because something is from the Constitution doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. Having a bicameral legislature and every state getting 2 senators helps the small (not necessarily rural and definitely not southern and midwestern) states. But by giving 2 extra EVs to every state, it does, for no good reason, greatly enhance the votes of small states. And that currently gives the Pubs about a 6-10 EV advantage heading into an election, mostly because of the mountain west. And I just don't get the concept that the person with the most votes shouldn't win an election. That's Erdogan type thinking.

5. For the record, it is not my intent to say the Constitution is horrible or anything because I point out the whole 3/5 thing. That's Angus level thinking. That Hamilton, Madison and Jay were able to cajole a dysfunctional collection of states into forming a republic at a time when all of Europe was ruled by monarchs was quite impressive and unique at the time, even despite its tacit acknowledgement of slavery (and women not being able to own property or vote). And I do believe when studying history we need to consider the times and mores of the periods we're studying.

Rural voters won’t move for a job, they probably won’t move for a revolution either.

If the best defense of the EC is that’ll prevent rural America from staging an armed revolt (because they are apparently all millennials and entitled to get what they want) then I’d say it’s time to do away with it.

The best argument to keep it is that it makes for compelling TV one election night.

If the best defense of the EC is that’ll prevent rural America from staging an armed revolt (because they are apparently all millennials and entitled to get what they want) then I’d say it’s time to do away with it.

The best argument to keep it is that it makes for compelling TV one election night.

It does make for some great TV. "Florida, Florida, Florida."

Why are rural votes counted more than urban? Right now in America, that is what is occurring.

Who furthers the American way of life, keeping American relevant is science, business or any other world wide accredible resource? I would say rural votes should count less...what % of rural voters work (a lot are older as youth migrates to urban areas) or contribute to the betterment of America. EC is wrong for this time in America.

More of trolling or stirring the pot for fun.

Why are rural votes counted more than urban? Right now in America, that is what is occurring.

Who furthers the American way of life, keeping American relevant is science, business or any other world wide accredible resource? I would say rural votes should count less...what % of rural voters work (a lot are older as youth migrates to urban areas) or contribute to the betterment of America. EC is wrong for this time in America.

More of trolling or stirring the pot for fun.

Wrangor's quoted comment near the top of this page is so dumb and wrong it's incredible.

Rural areas in South-East American provide so little and take more than others. Just like the drunk uncle at Thanksgiving, ignore their input. They are deranged and wrong on most topics.

also the EC has really only been relevant in the internet era and these poor midwest losers vote directly against their interests every fucking time but of course Wrangor, the voice of the high horse Rube, would whine about it

Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina are all in the top nine most populous states, ftr.

And take away Atlanta area, what does the rest of the state of GA provide to better America?

And take away Atlanta area, what does the rest of the state of GA provide to better America?

Athens is cool, the Masters is our preeminent golf event, and Midnight in the Garden was a great read (and Savannah's architecture is impressive).

Back